• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

UNC and Greeley/Alums

Beardown

I don't think Greeley is the type of city to support a d1 school. People in Greeley like to do yard work or go to farmers market on Saturdays, not go to a college football game. ALso, UNC doesn't graduate doctors, lawyers, vets, etc. We graduate business people, teachers, nurses and musicians. Were are those people going to get the money to give back to UNC? I don't think this move to d1 was wise. Lets go back down to either non-scholie d1 or NAIA.

It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree.

The Greeley/Evans area has a population of 100K which in my opinion is more than adequate to provide support at the level required to compete in the Big Sky. As someone not living in Greeley it seems as though the town has a bit of a split personality. I agree that the attitude of the old school locals is disdane for the university but with all the recent growth it's apparent a new breed of more college educated profesionals have arrived. This is the future fan base for UNC.

Regarding the demographics of the alumni using that logic any school without a medical or law school would suffer for support which doesn't seem to be the case when I look at college athletics throughout the country.

Colorado is a growth state and there is no reason it can't support a Big Sky level athletic program. It would be amazing what a little success on the field/court and some positive publicity would do for the program. Hopefully that can begin to happen soon.

I think Greeley can support a DI program, I think that right now, they simply choose not to. Greeley is not really proud to be the home of UNC, it is just kind of a town with a college, not a college town. If you go to Ft. Collins or Boulder, the whole community supports the university. In Greeley, it seems like, oh and by-the-way, we have a university. You don't see a lot of Greeley residents at games, they just dont seem to care. Also some local businesses have been fairly supportive, but many simply arent. I think that as Greeley grows and more grads stick around, this will start to change. Right now, most students flee after graduation, and never come back. So most Greeley residents have no real connection to UNC and thus, dont care.

I think that part of the problem is that UNC has never enjoyed a large fan base to begin with due to the demographics of the city. This, combined with the fact that no one really cared about the move to the Big Sky. I know that the Big Sky is important to the old members, but I always got the impression around here of...so what? CSU, CU, and Air Force all enjoy national exposure while UNC is still struggling to find their nitch in the market. I think that once UNC promotes itself to the state as a viable college option, they will eventually draw larger alumni crowds. As I had stated on the previous website, no one, and I mean no one, even knows that UNC exists. Greeley needs to clean up their image ( Turn the downtown into a place where people want to go) and I think that success will slowly affect the school. Right now, Ft. Collins and home are the two destination sites for students on the weekend. Once Greeley decides that it wants to keep that money in town, students will portray the University (and the City) in a positive light which will draw more students, which in turn will draw more support.

GoBears , I couldn't have said it better myself. A town with a college, not a college town...you hit the nail on the head.

Beardown said:
ALso, UNC doesn't graduate doctors, lawyers, vets, etc. We graduate business people, teachers, nurses and musicians. .

Really? I have a certification on my wall from the Colorado Supreme Court that states that I am a lawyer and I graduated from UNC. I also know several people who became "doctors" (I assume you meant physicians). Also, just because someone is a lawyer does not necessarily mean they make a lot of money (I can personally attest to that).

You state that we graduate "business people" as if they make no money--last I checked the sky is the limit on earning capacity for a "business person." In fact, I bet being a "business person" has a much higher upside than being a doctor or lawyer. I don't think I am too far off to state that Bill Gates would probably be considered a "business person."

I would normally let a comment like yours go without a response but your logic is too glaringly flawed to let it go.

My point is that UNC doesn't have a law school, vet school or medical school. We don't get that type of alumni money support. If I'm wrong, then where is it at? I haven't seen it.

My point is that just because there is no law school or medical school does not mean that there are not lots of monetarily successful alumni.

UNC has lots of problems with alumni support but it is lack of interest--not lack of money that is the basis of the problem. I may be wrong but I think we have about 70,000 alums. If every one of us would just donate $100 per year that is 7 million UNC could raise every year. That would put us in the financial shape that we need to be in to be competitive in the BSC. It is my understanding that the schools who have lots of alumni support are getting small donations from lots of alumni and that adds up fast. The big donations make the headlines but those are not what keep the athletic programs going.

I think most UNC alums can afford $100 per year.

Ursa Major said:
Right now, Ft. Collins and home are the two destination sites for students on the weekend. Once Greeley decides that it wants to keep that money in town, students will portray the University (and the City) in a positive light which will draw more students, which in turn will draw more support.

I totally agree. I do have to say that Greeley is ten times better now than when I was a freshman. Downtown is much more vibrant, there are more shops and restruants, the Greeley Mall is not nearly as ghetto. When I was a freshman the only thing downtown was the Armory (its closing is the one major step backwards), downtown was ugly to boot, if you wanted to see a movie you had to go to loveland or the crappy twin and four cinemas in Greeley, and the nicest restruant in town was Chillis.

I agree with you jjjj that UNC does graduate some alumni who are doctors and lawyers and such, there are not many. How many other UNC alums do you know who are attoneys? I know for a fact that UNC has only one or two people a year even go to medical school, let alone graduate. UNC does however graduate a lot of teachers, who will never make much money. You made an excellent point about the business program, and I think that eventually we will see a greater sucess in fundraising because of it, but the emphisis on the business school has only come in the past 10 to 15 years, so many alums have not had a lot of time to 'strike it ritch'.

I am not trying to nit-pick, but I think Beardown has a point that UNC alums are not as well to do financially as some other schools and it has an effect. People are more likely to make a donation of any ammount if they have more money.

I also think your point of lack of interest is equally true, so I would bet that it is a combination of the two.

But, JJJJ has a point about the $100 each. Hinrichs screwed up when he got rid of the Blue and Gold. I'm glad that they reinstated it but they need to go the next step and start looking for old alum. I personally know of two ( I know, I know..." only two?") old alums that have never been contacted by UNC about donations. In the meantime, my brother is inundated by CSU mailers and he joined the RAM CLUB for about $200 and he gets great seating and a license plate cover that says," RAM CLUB MEMBER". My point is that UNC has to go looking for people. I'm not sure what UNC offered through their program but they have to do something to spread the pride a little bit. As much as I know I'm going to take flack for this next comment, Kay Dalton was well respected by some of the older money in this community, I say bring him back as the head of Football operations or as the head of Athletic Alumni Relations and let him go after some cash. We have to do something.

It's interesting that they have reinstated the Blue and Glold clue but there isn't a word about it on the website nor have I as an alum received anything about it... so it's not going to be too successful if nobody knows about it.

I get phone calls atleast 2 times a year from the alumni department asking for donations. Ursa, it's possible the school has just lost track of those alumns. As for the Blue and Gold Club, hardly anything has been updated on the website so that's not new. I'm a part time teacher and really can only give so much a year. My wife is a teacher too so we won't be climbing the Blue and Gold ladder for a long, long time.

PS Ursa. I'm drinking an awesome 5 Barrel Pale Ale from O'Dells right now. How's your crappy Coors?? :lol:

How's my Coors? Affordable! If you're drinking O'Dells then you must be a part time teacher down in the Cherry Creek School District.

I hate to butt in here. But WSU doesn't have a med, vet or law school and does very well because of the business school. Maybe we're just lucky to have some grads who've gone on to do quite well in business.

I will admit that it helps having the largest private business in the States and maybe the world located here. That along with a lot of businesses that hire from our business department set us up pretty well out here. I must admit I don't know what kind of town Greeley is in or what the business and economic situation. But it can be done. Denver isn't far (I believe) so grads don't have to be absent and distanced from the University.

Maybe a nice public campaign to show yourself to the area and let it be known you're around and involved in the community and surrounding area. That can go a long way in creating fans and goodwill towards the school.

Again, I admit I'm not nearly as familiar with it all as an outsider. Last time I was in CO was 3 years ago on a ski trip with our church group. But I'm sure it can be done and you can build up the fan base and money to help support and push your program farther along.

I think any town can support a DI school with time, marketing and success. I guess it's a chicken or the egg thing. If you look around at many of the major schools, they are not in large towns. It just takes time.

While I agree with the "time" aspect of your argument, UNC has had a football team since 1895(?). Even with two National Championships, we haven't ever drawn that large of a crowd. I think it's marketing, marketing, marketing. Someone made the observation last year that CSU has three billboards in town promoting Ram football. I don't think I have even seen three signs with directions to UNC. With all the hires that have gone on upstairs in the time that I have been at UNC, you would have thought that someone would have said, " Hey, we need to hire someone to promote the crap out of our athletics, and the University, and we could start here at home!" Look at it this way, since they aren't getting anyone to come to the games anyway, why not have a game where you invite all the high school athletes in the city to a free game. I'm sure that there is some NCAA regulation against it, but you see where I'm going. We wouldn't make anything( we don't anyway) but the advertising for the programs would be priceless.

Latest posts

Back