• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Thoughts on the 2023 Season

What do you think about 2-4 Eastern Washington?

• Everything is fine, EWU is a playoff contender

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • EWU will be fine Best can recruit/bounce back

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Best just needs more time to get going

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I have no faith in the Head Coach

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters
EagSpectator said:
HeavyIsTheCrown said:
Imagine any of our ELITE QBs in the Fresno State game in Double OT, with the game basically won and ask yourself if anyone of those guys would have choked his nuts off and threw a pic! Ask yourself if they would’ve lost to ISU with a 27 point lead, and go 3-8. He choked so hard in that moment, it’s ok admit the truth. He can’t hold EBIII’s jock strap. Didn’t EBIII PUT UP 70 against Idaho or Idaho State!? This Kekoa guy won’t make All Conference, why the hell would he? He ain’t done shit! :coffee:

I don't post much, but wanted to respond to this. EBIII was amazing, but he was not the second coming of Jesus his sophomore season either. I can remember chatter about his accuracy and decision making. He made 3rd team all conference that year, but you have to remember that in 2018 this team was picked to finish 1st in the nation by both the Coaches and Media poll PLUS was on a National Championship runner up team that year. That team was stacked!

Here are some of the offensive weapons that he had around him in 2018:

-RB - McPherson - Rushed for over 1,500yds
-RB- Custer, Pierce, and Merrit
-WR - Webster, Boston, Limu-Jones, Eagle, and Edwards IV

The 2018 team rushed for over 255 yds per game vs 155 this season. We all know that when you can run the football it creates the opportunity to stretch the field in the passing game. We also know that Webster, Boston, and Limu-Jones were all legit deep ball threats, which we don't have now.

Here are EBIII's stats his Sophomore year, just to compare.

Games played in were 14 with 9 starts
Passing
190 cmp
311 att
61% cmp
9 INT
24 TD (5 vs PSU and 7 vs Maine)
175yds per game

Here is Kekoa's stats to date for his Sophomore debut

Games played in 9 with 9 starts. Was injured for the Idaho
Passing
226 cmp
339 att
67% cmp
7 INT
15 TD
274.6 yds per game

Correct, he is not EBIII, but he has the ability to be great.

This is a good point. Visperas doesn’t have half the talent around him that EB3 did.

Find a head coach who can keep quality assistants for at least a couple years.

Find a head coach who can produce a well balanced team, defense, offense and special teams.

A well coached team should not have to rely on an incredibly talented QB every year.

Just hire a new head coach!

2 straight losing seasons

3 straight losses to Montana state including getting absolutely embarrassed this year

2 straight losses to Idaho

2 straight losses to the Griz getting absolutely crushed in both

We don’t look good and we need a change. Not sure how it’s done but we need to beat out rivals, we need to make the playoffs and we need to win in the playoffs. None of those things are currently happening

marceagfan5 said:
2 straight losing seasons

3 straight losses to Montana state including getting absolutely embarrassed this year

2 straight losses to Idaho

2 straight losses to the Griz getting absolutely crushed in both

We don’t look good and we need a change. Not sure how it’s done but we need to beat out rivals, we need to make the playoffs and we need to win in the playoffs. None of those things are currently happening

I think it starts with a frank conversation between Best and Collins. It's not necessarily a "fire the coach" scenario, but it certainly could be. Best needs to outline very specifically how he's going to improve the team. And Collins needs to outline, very specifically, how he's going to improve the underlying fundamentals. It's no secret that the schools willing to invest the most in their programs are the ones regularly at or near the top of the conference. We need to make those same investments, and we need a coach able to get the most from the team. Right now, whether we have either is up for debate and the early findings don't look good.

In Best's defense, NO program at Eastern is doing well. Soccer is a disaster. Volleyball is mediocre at best. We're the only men's basketball team in the conference yet to win a single game. Our women's b-ball program is the only thing that might be loosely called successful at this exact moment.

If you aim at nothing, you hit nothing.

We have to take some shots at getting a quality head coach. I get the feeling that no news is bad news on this case.

EaglesOwntheSky said:
If you aim at nothing, you hit nothing.

We have to take some shots at getting a quality head coach. I get the feeling that no news is bad news on this case.

I like Best but sadly it's time. Tough part is buyout is not a option and a coach without a contract for upcoming years makes it challenging to recruit.

GoldenEagle said:
A well coached team should not have to rely on an incredibly talented QB every year.

This is what EWU has done every year Best has been head coach. First with Gubrud then with Barriere. Once the QB talent dried up, I knew we were going to be in big, big trouble.

E-Wu Tang Clan said:
Some other stats for Visperas:

Completion percentage tied for 14th in FCS, 1st in the Big Sky
He throws lots of screen passes, who cares.

Completions per game 5th in FCS, 1st in the Big Sky
Screen passes count in this category too.

Passing Efficiency 37th in FCS, 5th in the Big Sky
37th in FCS is BAD.

Passing Yards 16th in FCS, 1st in the Big Sky
If you don’t score Touchdowns it doesn’t matter

Passing Yards per game, 8th in FCS, 1st in the Big Sky
Pass but can’t punch it in the endzone

Yards per pass attempt 43rd in FCS, 4th in the Big Sky (imo being told to throw so many screen passes by the OC)
He’s had some great throws throughout the season, especially deep passes but that’s about it. 43rd is not good at all.

The problem is what we all know it is, except for HeavyIsTheCrown apparently, is the defense,

I noticed you conveniently left out Passing TDs, he’s not very good in that category is he? What about rush yards and rush TDs? Don’t paint a one sided picture to support your guy.

HeavyIsTheCrown said:
E-Wu Tang Clan said:

37th in FCS is BAD.

Yards per pass attempt 43rd in FCS, 4th in the Big Sky (imo being told to throw so many screen passes by the OC)
He’s had some great throws throughout the season, especially deep passes but that’s about it. 43rd is not good at all.

The problem is what we all know it is, except for HeavyIsTheCrown apparently, is the defense,

I noticed you conveniently left out Passing TDs, he’s not very good in that category is he? What about rush yards and rush TDs? Don’t paint a one sided picture to support your guy.

"He throws lots of screen passes"

Because he is told to by the coaches, which supports my argument.

"37th in FCS is BAD"

How is being 37th out of 122 teams "BAD" Literally in the top 3rd as a sophomore. Could he be better? Sure. He's not BAD lol.

"If you don’t score Touchdowns it doesn’t matter"

It means he is doing his fucking job lol. Can't score if you don't get to the end of the field.

"Pass but can’t punch it in the endzone"

Sure HE can't lol. Again, play calling. If the OC or the HC think they can run it in the redzone, its not Visperas fault is it? Entirely on the OC if redzone efficiency is bad.

"He’s had some great throws throughout the season, especially deep passes but that’s about it. 43rd is not good at all."

Again, play calling.

"I noticed you conveniently left out Passing TDs"

I sound like a broken record but play calling.

"What about rush yards and rush TDs?"

Did you not watch any of the games? They had the back up QBs Jared Taylor and Michael Wortham run the ball.

"Don’t paint a one sided picture to support your guy."

He's not "my guy" I just think asking a super QB to throw the whole team on his back and win games, especially at the FCS level is just like next level stupid.

You conveniently left out my comments about the defense. I guess half the fucking team not doing its job doesn't matter to you, super QB should just score more points then the charmin soft defense gives up.

E-Wu Tang Clan said:
HeavyIsTheCrown said:
E-Wu Tang Clan said:

37th in FCS is BAD.

"He throws lots of screen passes"

Because he is told to by the coaches, which supports my argument.

"37th in FCS is BAD"

How is being 37th out of 122 teams "BAD" Literally in the top 3rd as a sophomore. Could he be better? Sure. He's not BAD lol.

Pay close attention to the playoffs, there’s only 15 (or less) teams that matter in FCS.

"If you don’t score Touchdowns it doesn’t matter"

It means he is doing his fucking job lol. Can't score if you don't get to the end of the field.

That’s his only job, score by running or throwing. He’s either good at that job or bad at it. It’s not personal, it’s College Football.

"Pass but can’t punch it in the endzone"

Sure he can't lol. Again, play calling. If the OC or the HC think they can run it in the redzone, it’s not Visperas fault is it? Entirely on the OC if redzone efficiency is bad.

“Sure he can’t”

"He’s had some great throws throughout the season, especially deep passes but that’s about it. 43rd is not good at all."

Again, play calling.
^^ excuse. The excuse proves my point.

"I noticed you conveniently left out Passing TDs"

I sound like a broken record but play calling.

You still haven’t shown his Passing TDs! :lol: Proves my point.

"What about rush yards and rush TDs?"

Did you not watch any of the games? They had the back up QBs Jared Taylor and Michael Wortham run the ball.

Hmm, I wonder why they benched him when there was a QB Draw/QB Run called… That’s what you do when your guy is incompetent at running the ball. Bench him!

"Don’t paint a one sided picture to support your guy."

He's not "my guy" I just think asking a super QB to throw the whole team on his back and win games, especially at the FCS level is just like next level stupid.

You conveniently left out my comments about the defense. I guess half the fucking team not doing its job doesn't matter to you, super QB should just score more points then the charmin soft defense gives up.

We’re Not. Talking. About. Defense. We’re talking about the other 50% of the EWU Football Team. When the defense gives up a touchdown, the offense is supposed to score more points. Yes, that’s his job, put points on the scoreboard. You’re making excuses for him not putting the ball in the endzone, instead of holding him accountable. Terrible Quarterback play hurts the entire team.

"Pay close attention to the playoffs, there’s only 15 (or less) teams that matter in FCS."

Holy fuck, you don't need to be ranked top 15 in every category to go to the playoffs you absolute dullard of a person.

"That’s his only job, score by running or throwing. He’s either good at that job or bad at it. It’s not personal, it’s College Football."

Yea fuck those other 10 people on the offense or the guy calling plays. They have nothing to do with it. /s

"^^ excuse. The excuse proves my point."

Saying "excuse" doesn't prove anything, its a non argument.

"You still haven’t shown his Passing TDs! :lol: Proves my point."

"That’s his only job, score by running or throwing."

Which is it dude?

"Hmm, I wonder why they benched him when there was a QB Draw/QB Run called… That’s what you do when your guy is incompetent at running the ball. Bench him!"

Because they don't want the passing QB to get injured? Holy shit dude you are next level stupid. I didn't say that because I thought it was implied, but you are in fact that dumb and know that little about football.

"We’re Not. Talking. About. Defense. We’re talking about the other 50% of the EWU Football Team. When the defense gives up a touchdown, the offense is supposed to score more points. Yes, that’s his job, put points on the scoreboard. You’re making excuses for him not putting the ball in the endzone, instead of holding him accountable. Terrible Quarterback play hurts the entire team."

If the offense scores 1000 points the defense doesn't have to do anything, if the defense allows 0 points the offense only has to score a few points, (none if the defense scores). In the real world it meets somewhere in the middle. Statistics prove that the offense is more than doing its half of the job and that the defense isn't holding its own. I'm sorry actual facts and statistics prove your dumbass narrative that the QB and offense somehow isn't good enough or whatever but those are the facts dude.

Fuck off until you can provide some actual evidence, which you haven't provided, at all.

Latest posts

Back