• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Thoughts on the 2023 Season

What do you think about 2-4 Eastern Washington?

• Everything is fine, EWU is a playoff contender

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • EWU will be fine Best can recruit/bounce back

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Best just needs more time to get going

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I have no faith in the Head Coach

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters

HeavyIsTheCrown

I’m so disappointed with the close losses this season, I watched Coach Best’s press conference and I’m not so sure if he understands the importance succeeding and making the playoffs this season. IMO it’s extremely important to keep the program successful to keep top recruits coming in, Eastern’s stadium is falling behind in the conference and recruits could start to see EWU as a terrible option. I’m interested to see what others think.

I'm ready for new leadership.

What are the chances that Best is relieved of his duties and Baldwin happens to be on the market?

I like Best. Truly, a good guy with a great family and his dedication to this program is top notch.

That said, he's not a head coach. He's stubborn, refuses to change things up, has negative influence over the play calling and is clearly not taking the program in the right direction. He seems to be able to recruit - but in game decisions are atrocious.

How many years are we going to have to see special teams cost us games? If we're interested in running clock when leading, by running the ball - why are we snapping the ball with 15 seconds on the play clock? It's been 7 years now.

In those 7 years, playoffs 3 times (once was weird spring season) no playoffs for likely 4 years.
No appearances past the second round (excluding Natty runner up season in his second year)
Headed for second straight losing season (which hasn't happened in over 20 years.

ewueagle2010 said:
Headed for second straight losing season (which hasn't happened in over 20 years.,

2010 ,this is only one thing you mentioned I dont agrree wi th, I hope we can squeeze one out if team uses that to our now, main goal and win games and we win em all and we nake playoffs, So they get the boys jacked up and dont fuc... the game up with poor decision making calls thayt make a dif in yhis game.

ewueagle2010 said:
I like Best. Truly, a good guy with a great family and his dedication to this program is top notch.

That said, he's not a head coach. He's stubborn, refuses to change things up, has negative influence over the play calling and is clearly not taking the program in the right direction. He seems to be able to recruit - but in game decisions are atrocious.

How many years are we going to have to see special teams cost us games? If we're interested in running clock when leading, by running the ball - why are we snapping the ball with 15 seconds on the play clock? It's been 7 years now.

In those 7 years, playoffs 3 times (once was weird spring season) no playoffs for likely 4 years.
No appearances past the second round (excluding Natty runner up season in his second year)
Headed for second straight losing season (which hasn't happened in over 20 years.

Agreed. Most already know my thoughts on Aaron. Held out some hope he'd make a seed change with a new, aggressive AD to his ongoing personality deficits. Any changes have been superficial IMO. The record of coaching turnover says everything to me for the past several years. I just want him gone. Would prefer Wulff over Baldwin if Eastern went with a retread but doubt either would be interested. Time to find a MVC OC or DC that can coach football and surround them with good assistants, not one year wonders. Season isn't over I suppose, but not expecting any rebound after last week's debacle against a mediocre Weber team.

Not sure what to say. The last game was appalling… it took a confluence of bad coaching and bad playing to shit the bed that bad. One thing to note is that Eastern’s admin makes coaching really hard. Subpar facilities and, frankly, a university that has no growth vision. All of that leads to no money. If there’s one thing certain, college sports have never been more skewed between the haves and have-nots. Eastern has never shown how to “have.”

LDopaPDX said:
Not sure what to say. The last game was appalling… it took a confluence of bad coaching and bad playing to shit the bed that bad. One thing to note is that Eastern’s admin makes coaching really hard. Subpar facilities and, frankly, a university that has no growth vision. All of that leads to no money. If there’s one thing certain, college sports have never been more skewed between the haves and have-nots. Eastern has never shown how to “have.”

You ain't wrong Dopa. Super frustrating. Feel like several on the board have earned a degree in Excuseology. I for one.

Not much else can be said from where I sit. It's easier outside the arena. All I see is our last Walter Payton award winner throwing his hands up time again his last season while crappy plays were being called in and he was trying to drive the team down the field in key games, the OC of that QB quitting without a job before the end of the season, Montana absolutely smoking Eastern after taking a good early lead and then losing the top QB commit and interim OC to Fresno and several other coaches who moved on to lateral or lesser positions. The was the end for me. Last season just highlighted all that was wrong in the first place. I'll watch this team play out the season as they've shown some guts but I put this squarely on the coaches as nothing else adds up. Eastern has good enough players to compete in the BigSky.

LDopaPDX said:

Pretty much this.

I have to wonder what the 35% are thinking in the poll - that think AB will bounce back, cause he can recruit. I agree, recruiting has been solid. That makes the results all the more bewildering and proof this isn't working. When listed, it makes it hard to see:

2017: 7-4 and screwed out of the playoffs
(doors blown off by Texas Tech, NDSU (home), SUU & close loss to Weber (home)

2018: 12-3 and National Championship appearance
(doors blown off by WSU, loss to Weber in a nightmarish 6 point offensive performance & loss to NDSU in Frisco)

2019: 7-5 and no playoffs (EB3's Payton year)
(doors blown off by UW, huge blown lead at JSU, horrendous first half at Idaho resulting in loss, destroyed by Sac State & loss in Missoula)
(also keep in mind how ugly the W was against D2 Lindenwood, and the lucky W against Cal Poly)

2021 (spring): 5-2 and first round blowout playoff loss to NDSU
(ugly loss at Idaho with the made/missed FG)

2021: 11-3 and 2nd round playoff blowout loss to Montana
(3 fake punt debacle in loss to Weber at home, home loss to MSU & blown halftime lead resulting in blowout in Missoula)

2022: 3-8 and mostly non-competitive
(absolutely lost, inexcusable, embarrassing season all around. No bright spots, until the final game of the season when I wondered why Kekoa hadn't played all year, or least the last 3 games for experience without burning red shirt)

2023: 2-4 so far...
(Unprepared loss at NDSU, close loss Fresno which gave hope, couple big Ws and then close, but acceptable loss to Idaho and then the inexcusable loss last week to ISU)

Special teams have been atrocious for years (outside our really good punter).
Defense has not improved - at best, it's stayed equally below average.
Offense has no creativity. Playmakers all over the field and yet drives often stall or do a complete 180 when working
Lack of discipline - TOO MANY PENALTIES
Clock management - timeouts used or not used (Fresno game)
Sideline awareness (how in the world do you not challenge the clear TD last week)???

I'm sorry. I truly am. I believed AB was the man for the job when Baldwin left. I truly believe in his love for this program. He's probably a fantastic human being, husband, father. His dedication to this University is undeniable. However, it's been 7 years and the trend is what is worrisome. In a time when, as someone mentioned above, there are have's and have not's - we're headed down a scary road.

I will gladly, come one here and eat my words if this regular season somehow ends at 7-4 and a playoff berth. I will chalk last week up as total freak deal. But, who honestly believes there is any chance of that? And then ask yourself, prior to last season, was there ever a time in recent memory you could remember thinking EWU Football had no chance of doing something special....

Go Eags, forever.

Special teams have been atrocious for years (outside our really good punter).
Defense has not improved - at best, it's stayed equally below average.
Offense has no creativity. Playmakers all over the field and yet drives often stall or do a complete 180 when working
Lack of discipline - TOO MANY PENALTIES
Clock management - timeouts used or not used (Fresno game)
Sideline awareness (how in the world do you not challenge the clear TD last week)???

Yup to all. Best is an offensive coach, and by and large, the offense has been fine. But defense and special teams are bad and don't show much improvement year after year. And while Best manages the offense, this is on him as the Head Coach. We know what the vulnerabilities of this team are, and they always seem unaddressed. We've seen so many blown leads that it's hard to even calculate them all. This comes downs to toughness... good teams improve over the course of a game and season, not fade away.

Clock management is one of those things that just makes me sick, because it isn't hard to do the math on it. Up 3 TDs in the fourth quarter... and we're running fast tempo and snapping the ball. That makes no sense, and it never will. This is especially true when you very know what awaits when the defense comes back on the field and hemorrhages points and yards.

LDopaPDX said:

Dopa, I don't agree with your take on admin at this time. The new-ish president seems to realize the value of athletics to grow the student base and the very new AD WILL create winners. Look at the womens bball results last season, I would expect to see some changes when contracts / funding allows. We just need to plug our ears, nose, and eyes and ?? to let that happen.

For those who voted in the bottom column, would your thoughts be different if this team finished the season with a winning record?

Atomic Eagle said:
For those who voted in the bottom column, would your thoughts be different if this team finished the season with a winning record?

no. Two consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance is completely unacceptable in my opinion. I remember when the goal was to compete for a national championship every year. Under Best, we're just hoping for a winning season and to not get embarrassed by the likes of Montana or MSU.

eaglesfootball said:
Atomic Eagle said:

no. Two consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance is completely unacceptable in my opinion. I remember when the goal was to compete for a national championship every year. Under Best, we're just hoping for a winning season and to not get embarrassed by the likes of Montana or MSU.

100% agree. Winning records are not the baseline goal and should never be accepted as the goal unless we're okay being a bottom half Big Sky team. Too much talent and reputation in this program. 7-4 and a playoff appearance, would however, build my confidence. At this point, an upset win in Bozeman (and winning out) is the only way I can let the ISU game go.

Atomic Eagle said:

It would have to be making the playoffs and winning at least one game for any hope of changing my opinion.

But I don't think that scenario would change it much.

The question I ask is "is EWU football a better program after Best taking the reigns?" and I just don't think it is.

Atomic Eagle said:

Many people will point to the fact that EWU's athletic department lacks resources, the facilities are in dire need of updating, and more alumni contributions are necessary to remain competitive in the Big Sky. All of these things are true of course. However, EWU has proven that it can be a consistent winner despite not having the same resources as a Montana, MSU, or Idaho. We do have advantages over other schools in areas like recruiting, but it all comes down to coaching. In my opinion we haven't done as well on the recruiting side of the house under this current coaching staff. Most of the big names in recent memory, including every former Eagle currently on an NFL roster, were recruitied during the Baldwin era. The same is true of All-American and All-Big Sky type players. That's a hard indicator to ignore when it comes to recruiting.

I do like the fact that Best is unlikely to go elsewhere because he's all-in on EWU, and that is a good thing. It provides a level of consistency and predictability that can have a positive effect on recruiting, unlike a higher profile coach like Baldwin, who we were constantly wondering if he was going elsewhere year-to-year. Best has had a lot of challenges building a staff, but I have to imagine that has something to do with personality or style. There's a reason why assistants don't seem to stay longer and I think it's more than just a pay issue. He seems inflexible and to an extent stubborn. We see that in play calling as well.

All that said, I can handle a season going 6-5 if it means the program is going in the right direction. But with (most likely) 2 straight losing seasons I think it's time to start at least asking questions about whether new leadership is in order. There really is no reason why we should have done so poorly this season. We didn't have the gruelling schedule we've had in the past. Basically every game was winnable.

luckyintheorder said:
ewueagle2010 said:

Agreed. Most already know my thoughts on Aaron. Held out some hope he'd make a seed change with a new, aggressive AD to his ongoing personality deficits. Any changes have been superficial IMO. The record of coaching turnover says everything to me for the past several years. I just want him gone. Would prefer Wulff over Baldwin if Eastern went with a retread but doubt either would be interested. Time to find a MVC OC or DC that can coach football and surround them with good assistants, not one year wonders. Season isn't over I suppose, but not expecting any rebound after last week's debacle against a mediocre Weber team.

Don't disagree about a MVFC OC or DC but wondering if they'd be able to recruit the PNW effectively.

ewudood05 said:
I'm ready for new leadership.

What are the chances that Best is relieved of his duties and Baldwin happens to be on the market?

Slim to none? Believe CAB's contract runs through 2024 and there is virtually zero chance the AD can afford to buy it out.

Eagle Talon said:
luckyintheorder said:
ewueagle2010 said:

Don't disagree about a MVFC OC or DC but wondering if they'd be able to recruit the PNW effectively.

Is there something peculiar or different about recruiting in Washington and Oregon?

Latest posts

Back