• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Tennis Being Mismanaged

BroadwayVik

The problem is very likely not the coaching but the recruiting, the player personnel.

It is unacceptable to hear Portland State losing 7-0 in both Men's Tennis & Women's Tennis to teams is the Big Sky Conference. They should never have results like that in this conference, period.

I look at the player personnel and the results are clear because of the level of players that have been recruited. They would be better-suited to a Division II program, certainly not Division I.

Portland State now plays at Division I level and will continue to do so. Thus, we need to recruit Division I player personnel. I believe the best strategy to do this is to bring in international student players exclusively, or nearly so.

With the focus of first raising the expected level of play to successful Division I, local or at least Northwest heroes can then be sought out who can play at the same level. This will raise the level of play for the PSU Viking team.

Access to sports scholarships should never be the goal if those seeking them cannot play to the level expected. The majority of the players we have now would do well to transfer to Western Oregon, say, or another team in the GNAC as where their level of play would be more competitive.

Tennis needs to be no longer mismanaged. Perhaps a player or two is/are already playing at Division I and can be retained. But I strongly recommend to redo the program wholesale to the Division I level.

BroadwayVik said:
The problem is very likely not the coaching but the recruiting, the player personnel.

It is unacceptable to hear Portland State losing 7-0 in both Men's Tennis & Women's Tennis to teams is the Big Sky Conference. They should never have results like that in this conference, period.

I look at the player personnel and the results are clear because of the level of players that have been recruited. They would be better-suited to a Division II program, certainly not Division I.

Portland State now plays at Division I level and will continue to do so. Thus, we need to recruit Division I player personnel. I believe the best strategy to do this is to bring in international student players exclusively, or nearly so.

With the focus of first raising the expected level of play to successful Division I, local or at least Northwest heroes can then be sought out who can play at the same level. This will raise the level of play for the PSU Viking team.

Access to sports scholarships should never be the goal if those seeking them cannot play to the level expected. The majority of the players we have now would do well to transfer to Western Oregon, say, or another team in the GNAC as where their level of play would be more competitive.

Tennis needs to be no longer mismanaged. Perhaps a player or two is/are already playing at Division I and can be retained. But I strongly recommend to redo the program wholesale to the Division I level.

Have to agree. Regardless of the level of visibility of any particular sport, they wear the Portland State uniform, they represent Portland State. If any team is getting "embarrassed" (rough word to use but it sounds like it does apply), it should be examined to see how it can constantly compete at the DI level.

At least in women's tennis. Injuries have three of the top players not playing, yet team is losing by close 4-3 scores.

Ladies had a lot of injuries to their top players. Their #1 player was out and everyone played up a spot and lost 4-3 in multiple matches.

They were finally able to beat Sac St. for their first ever win against the Hornets. Sac St. has been the top team in the BSC for years until Idaho came onboard. Nice win on Senior Day for them to end their conference season.

Latest posts

Back