• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Spokesman Review Articles on EWU Football

Dozy

This is a call out to you EWU fans that subscribe to the Spokesman Review. Unfortunately, the Spokesman has restricted web access to only their current newspaper subscribers or those that pay for an online subscription.

Living on the westside, I don't need the Spokane paper, however, I want to read the articles on my Eagles football team. I get home delivery of the Seattle Times (their online version is free, by the way) other than reporting EWU scores and sports commits, you'll never see an article on Eagle football.

How about one or all of you cut and paste their articles to this board? It will help to keep us all informed, keep the board active (I hate checking every day and seeing that it's been 3 days since someone posted something, you know what I mean?!), and more importantly, help good 'ole Dozy out! ;) Nothing wrong with it as long as you give the Spokesman credit...

Right now, I see three articles on EWU football that I can't read. It's a shame!

Here's an example of what I'll do when I find something over here...

This found in the Seattle Times on 10/31/09:

Local College Football | EWU beats Portland State 47-10 in Seattle
By Terry Wood

Special to The Seattle Times

If you schedule it, will they come?

Saturday's "Showdown on the Sound" at Qwest Field, with Eastern Washington in the role of home team, attracted 6,124 to watch Eastern pound Portland State 47-10 in a Big Sky Conference mismatch — two outcomes that had EWU athletic director Bill Chaves smiling.

"I'm excited by the crowd," said Chaves as Eastern joined Washington State and Central Washington as eastside universities that have played home games at Qwest. "The opportunity to literally bring the university to the west side has been fantastic."

Chaves estimated that EWU needed a turnout of 5,000-plus to break even financially on moving a home game west.

"But," Chaves added, "the exposure for us on the west side from a recruiting standpoint, from connecting with alums who haven't seen us play in years — I'm not sure what dollars and cents you can put on that value."

EWU has not committed to future games at Qwest.

"We'll analyze this," Chaves said. "Year one, you never know how it's going to go. We have to make sure this makes sense for us. But I can tell you this anecdotally: This has been tremendous for the university."

Quarterback Matt Nichols, one of 17 EWU players recognized during pregame Senior Day ceremonies, made sure the game was entertaining for the crowd by tossing four touchdown passes, tying the Eastern school record for career touchdown throws (84) in the process.

"It was one of those games where everything seemed to work after the first couple of drives," said Nichols, who completed 21 of 30 passes for 413 yards, his 16th career 300-yard game. Sophomore Tyler Hart (Friday Harbor) caught two of Nichols' scoring passes, and sophomore running back Taiwan Jones ran for a pair of first-half touchdowns.

For Eastern (6-3 overall, 5-2 Big Sky), the win was its first over Portland State (2-7, 1-5) in four seasons and sustained its hopes of returning to postseason play for the first time since 2007.

The game between two Football Championship Subdivision teams (formerly Division I-AA) featured the charms of smaller-scale college football — two safeties, two missed extra points, eight plays that covered 30 or more yards, a curious halftime score of 33-4 and four interceptions by one player, sophomore Matt Johnson.

"I've never seen anybody have four interceptions in one game," Nichols said. "That was pretty cool."

Nichols, who last week engineered a 21-point fourth-quarter rally for a come-from-behind win, had a rough start. On Eastern's first three drives, the Eagles twice went three-and-out and Nichols was tackled for a safety.

He rebounded with five scoring drives in six possessions — first a 38-yard touchdown pass to a wide-open Hart, followed by scoring runs of 1 and 47 yards by Jones, then touchdown throws to Nathan Overbay (6 yards) and Hart (26).

Nichols added a 25-yard scoring toss to Tony Davis in the third quarter, and Darriell Beaumonte added a 1-yard TD run in the fourth.

Here's today's article on the first day of spring practice (BTW, it wouldn't hurt for some Eagles fans to go on the blog and post some comments - show some interest and maybe we'll see better coverage - I know, a long shot at best).

April 1, 2010
Scramble begins to be Eagles’ QB
Steve Bergum
The Spokesman-Review

Greg Panelli arrived at Eastern Washington University on New Year’s Day with the same uncertainties any college football transfer faces.

“When I first got here, I thought I wasn’t going to be able to find anybody to hang out with,” said the 6-foot-3, 225-pound junior-to-be, one of six quarterback prospects for the Eagles, who opened spring drills with a padless workout Wednesday afternoon. “I really felt like the lone guy.

“But after a week, I met the team going through winter workouts and everybody seemed to accept me. And, all of a sudden, I was hangin’ out with them. I’m glad it happened so quickly.”

MORE

Dozy said:
This is a call out to you EWU fans that subscribe to the Spokesman Review. Unfortunately, the Spokesman has restricted web access to only their current newspaper subscribers or those that pay for an online subscription.

Living on the westside, I don't need the Spokane paper, however, I want to read the articles on my Eagles football team. I get home delivery of the Seattle Times (their online version is free, by the way) other than reporting EWU scores and sports commits, you'll never see an article on Eagle football.

How about one or all of you cut and paste their articles to this board? It will help to keep us all informed, keep the board active (I hate checking every day and seeing that it's been 3 days since someone posted something, you know what I mean?!), and more importantly, help good 'ole Dozy out! ;) Nothing wrong with it as long as you give the Spokesman credit...

Right now, I see three articles on EWU football that I can't read. It's a shame!

Even if you credit the source and author, posting the entire article is copyright infringement. Standard protocol is to site the source and author, and quote the first couple paragraphs, then link to the rest of the article. Most all the articles published in the Spokesman can be found on the Sportslink Blog:
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/?k=ewu,eagles

For example, here's the article that appeared in yesterday's Spokesman:

Eagles have big shoes to fill
by Steve Bergum
The Spokesman-Review
March 31, 2010
As Eastern Washington University’s head football coach, Beau Baldwin is obligated to mention there are several key position battles that will start to play out in earnest today when the Eagles open spring drills with a 4 p.m. workout at the EWU Sports and Recreation Center practice fields.

But good luck selling that notion – as accurate as it might be – to the general public, which will have its collective eye firmly fixed on the six young men hoping to step into the high-profile position of starting quarterback.

“I know that’s what most people will be looking at,” Baldwin said of the crowded field competing to take over for All-America Matt Nichols, a four-year starter and two-time Big Sky Conference offensive MVP, who set BSC career records for passing yards and total offense. “And it is a unique situation, just because of the numbers.

MORE

4/8/2010
Eags don pads in search of next QB
By Steve Bergum, Spokesman-Review
The problem with having six quarterbacks competing for a starting job became even more obvious on Wednesday when the Eagles practiced for the first time in full pads and only five of the six QB candiates took snaps in live game-like situations.

After spending a major portion of the 2 1/2-hour workout with the position coaches, the Eags’s offense spent about 15 minutes running plays in a “thud” situation where the defense rallies to the ball but is not supposed to tackle anyone.

And after that, they spent another 10 or 15 minutes going live, with the exception of not being allowed to tackle the quarterback.

Baldwin said more time will be devoted to live scrimmage-like sessions throughout the rest of the spring as he and his staff try to learn more about some of their young defensive hopefuls.

READ MORE

Latest posts

Back