• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Sperbeck Receives Contract Extension

SactoHornetAlum

Staff member
SACRAMENTO STATE EXTENDS SPERBECK THROUGH 2012 SEASON

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Sacramento State Director of Athletics Terry Wanless announced today that the contract of head football coach Marshall Sperbeck has been extended through the 2012 season.

Sperbeck is coming off of his first season as the team’s head coach. The Hornets posted a 3-8 overall record but ended the season winning their final two games. Following the year, 15 players received all-Big Sky Conference honors and two (Cyrus Mulitalo and Mike Brannon) were honorable mention All-Americans by The Sports Network.

“I am extremely pleased to extend Marshall’s contract,” Wanless said. “He has brought stability, mental toughness and a winning vision to our program both on and off the field.”

A native of Sacramento, Sperbeck became the ninth head football coach in school history when he was hired on Jan. 13, 2007. Prior to coming to the Hornets, he was the head coach at Foothill College in Los Altos, Calif., for 15 years and posted a 109-53 overall record.

“I am grateful to both President (Alexander) Gonzalez and Dr. Wanless for their belief in myself, our staff and the program,” Sperbeck said. “It is great to know that they are as committed to us as we are to them.”

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/football/release.asp?release_id=7008

I love what Sperbeck has done with the program and I think we're headed in the right direction, but an extension, already!? Maybe after a 5-6 season, but after starting out 1-8? We were a hail mary away from 2-9.

Anyways, anything less than the playoffs in 2009 or 2010, then I'll be really disappointed in Sperbeck.

I guess this is a statement that the program is long term and will hopefully put to rest all of the naysayers.

I also agree, that is a long term commitment for a 3-8 or 2-9 first year effort? Was he given a raise?

What's next? is Jenkins going to get a four year extension?

I do like Marshall's approach and I think he is the best coach we have had in a long time. I am optimistic.

From what I have heard, its just a year extension at his current salary rate. The big thing I think the reason behind this was ending the season with two consecutive wins. Hopefully "The Catch" will be the start of something great and we can look back and say: "I at least heard it on the radio" since most of us were not there to see it live.

I saw it too, b-e-a-utiful... Anyways, Would everyone here be satisfied with a 5-7 season (if we decide to schedule to optional 12th game)?

Here are my four Pre-Season games I'd like to see...

@ Colorado State (Done deal)
Either home against any FCS School that will come play us or @ Cal Poly
@ UC Davis
Home vs. D-II or NAIA Cupcake (preferably early on in the season)

I have heard from sources close to the team that we are opening the season at home against Humboldt State. Then we go to CSU. We are still trying to get Southern Utah to come here to give us that sixth home game. Hope it happens soon.

Chop Block U? Oh the humanity. We better not lose to either of those two programs or it will really deflate the enthusiasm. Losing to a Cal, New Mexico is expected but not SUU or Toke Up U.

Humboldt is without a coach right now, I notice they have a few assistants who stuck around, one of them is Shay McClure. Any relation to Angus?

Here is the Thunderchickens 2008 schedule:

Sat, Aug 30 Air Force at Colorado Springs, Colo.
Sat, Sep 06 Adams State Cedar City, Utah
Sat, Sep 13 Montana at Missoula, Mont.
Sat, Sep 20 Northern Arizona Cedar City, Utah
Sat, Sep 27 Texas State at San Marcos, Texas
Sat, Oct 04 Youngstown State Cedar City, Utah
Sat, Oct 11 UC Davis * at Davis, Calif.
Sat, Oct 25 Cal Poly * at San Luis Obispo, Calif.
Sat, Nov 08 North Dakota * at Grand Forks, N.D.
Sat, Nov 15 South Dakota * Cedar City, Utah
Sat, Nov 22 Northern Iowa Cedar City, Utah 1:00 p.m.

SUU is not chop block U anymore. That was two coaches ago. SUU's bye week is Oct 18. We are not going to lose to HSU and if we play SUU, I don't think so either.

future schedule ideas;
1) wac team (our future)
2) one team from pioneer or great northwest
3) one team from colonial athletic, southern or southland conf
4) cal davis

It is a shame that with a 12 game schedule Sac State does not play Cal Poly. There is a lot of history between the two schools. Would you as a fan rather see a game against Humbolt or Cal Poly?

i know we have a long history with SLO, but it does not benefit us to play two teams from the great west conf to get to the playoffs. we need to play one team outside our region (colonial athletic, southern or southland conf) to help with votes. remember that the BSC only get one auto-bid, and a 2nd or 3rd team has to be voted in. hsu or a pioneer conf team would be a good game to balance out a 1a team

I believe that Cal Poly will be a top 25 team in 2008. They finished 2007 at 24th and they return 10 starters on offense from the top offense in the FCS in 2007 (487 yds/gm) and 6th ranked scoring offense (39.3 pts/gm). I think that if the Hornets were to beat Cal Poly in 2008 that it would go a lot farther with the selection commitee than a win over Humbolt State or a non scholarship I-AA team or an unranked east coast FCS team. Cal Poly does not have a chance at an auto-bid to fall back on and have more to lose in regards to playing Sac State then Sac State has playing Cal Poly. I know for a fact that Cal Poly wants this game.

I understand last year Sac State needed two FBS money games and of course the Causeway Classic game with UC Davis which left no room for a game with Cal Poly. In 2008 they can schedule 12 games and they only have one FBS game. If they want, sign a home and home contract with the first game in 2008 and the second game in 2012 when they can play 12 games again. The other thing to consider is that Cal Poly travels well to Sacramento which helps at the gate.

This is a game that should happen and it is a shame if it does not.

BTW, I think that the contract extension for Sperbeck is a very good thing for Sac State. I think he will have the Hornets pressing for the the Big Sky Conference Championship very soon.

SloStang,

Its not that simple. You are opening at San Diego State on the date we may be opening with Humboldt. From what little I have seen it appears that Poly's first half of the season is pretty full, the second half of the season we have our Conference commitments, playing Davis on our open week. It takes two to tango, both schools have to have a open date. Remember we have 8 Conference commitments. When you add the FBS game (or two) and Davis there is not too much flexabilty.

Personally, I would love to play Poly every year. The Green and Gold game as it is. 15 wins apiece. Its a very good rivalry and I have always gone to the game whether here or in SLO.

Princess Vespa, you're dreaming. We may as well go back to the original idea of scheduling the Domers in '10.

I do like the idea of playing a CAA team, but they're not going to go for a home-and-home until we're at least close to Montana's level, and we can't afford a cross-country trip, even after factoring in the guarantee.

Super Hornet said:
Princess Vespa, you're dreaming. We may as well go back to the original idea of scheduling the Domers in '10.

I do like the idea of playing a CAA team, but they're not going to go for a home-and-home until we're at least close to Montana's level, and we can't afford a cross-country trip, even after factoring in the guarantee.

We can't? Why is that? It doesn't have to be a home and home. We played against Hofstra, UTEP, and Texas State over the past 10 years. I don't see why we can't get back to the midwest and east coast. It doesn't actually cost that much more than going to New Mexico or Colorado. Jet Blue and Southwest are pretty cheap these days. Otherwise, there isn't that much of a cost difference.

Latest posts

Back