• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Shocker, Hinrichs jumping ship

Phineas J. Whoopee

There is a blurb in today's Rocky Mountain News that Hinrichs is a finalist for the North Dakota A.D job. Not surprised he is bailing out, he was never here for the long term anyway. Even if he doesn't get the job he should be shown the door at this point because he obviously doesn't want to be here and doesn't have what we need. Good riddance.

Wow. Nice to know that rather than focusing on what he needs to do to make Northern Colorado successful in the Big Sky, he is spending his time searching for jobs and doing interviews. What a POS.

A.D.'s never stay anywhere that long. They are always looking for the next best job out there.

As much as some of you all hate Hinrichs, I don't know why you are mad he may get another job and leave ... I think you'd be thrilled.

He knows he has done all he can at UNC (facilities, Big Sky, etc.) and that he is not popular at all. If things get worse for him he may get fired. So someone in his position would definitely be looking at other jobs.

AD's are never completely popular. He's done a lot of the dirty work that Falllis wouldn't do and that alone can make a guy unpopular. Gotta remember, this has got to be one of the most difficult jobs to walk into.

So saying all that he goes to a school that is just starting it's first year of a D-I transition with no conference to join. And if he is leaving because he is unpopular he has to look in the mirror there. I agree with some moves, not with others, but bottom line a change might do us all good.

It's interesting that people seem to forget that the facilities upgrade, and the D1 jump were in the works before Hinrichs ever darkened our doorstep. I wish that people would stop giving this guy credit for work that he didn't initiate. All he succeeded in doing was pissing off the boosters and hiring a football coach that should have never been hired. Other than being a complete jag...I'm really gonna miss him! That being said, I'm going to call ND and give him a glowing recommendation.

Bear Fiend said:
Wow. Nice to know that rather than focusing on what he needs to do to make Northern Colorado successful in the Big Sky, he is spending his time searching for jobs and doing interviews. What a POS.
By POS, I'm assuming you mean a " Positive Outlook on Sports". Right?

Ursa, could you please point up what part of the facilities upgrade was already occurring before Jay took the job. He ushered through the student fee increase. He also helped sell the Big Sky on NC, when the previous AD was trying to sabotage us joining that conference.

He's had to deal with budget shortfalls because of a lack of institutional support for the athletic department and the failures of some to not follow through with their promises of funding for the move to D-I. Also, on the positive side, he hired two basketball coaches who have their teams in the mix for the BSC tournament in their first full year in the conference. While you believe he gets credit where its not due, there are also plenty of areas where he does deserve praise, and it never is given.

That said, besides any business reason for making the move, it would put his family closer to his wife's in Iowa.

Ursa, you wouldn't like Mother Theresa if she rose from the dead and took UNC's AD job. Same with most of you. An AD at a school is a very unpopular position. I mean really, who likes their AD?

I too would like to see evidence that the plan for facility upgrades were in place before he arrived. Jim Fallis was just about as bad as an AD as anyone could get and Jay had a tough job cleaning up his mess. I don't like some of the things Jay did but he did some nice things here. Not great, but OK.

I was out of town so this is the first I've heard of this. Let me just say PLEASE LET IT HAPPEN. OK now that that is out there, it is way too early to get too fired up one way or the other. From what I found, Jay made the top 7 from a list of 23 applicants (http://www.kfyrtv.com/sports_Stories.asp?news=15878). This article also says that they want to start the interview process which makes me think there is a whole lot to happen before Jay is headed anywhere. Much to early to get our hopes up.

As for Jay's accomplishments or lack thereof. Everyone knows where I fall but I'll put it out there anyway :) . IMHO trying to credit Jay with the Big Sky admission and the facilities upgrade is a stretch. Undoubtedly he had a hand in these but to think he was the gallant knight riding in on his white horse to make it happen is nonsense. As for the budget shortfalls, that is always tough, but I remember Jay's big opening speech was that he was a fundraiser and he was going to make it happen here. The fact that he had a hand in ticking off boosters and alumni and they decided to not donate as large makes for a pretty weak defense. The poor performance of the FB team (and thus the downturn in attendance) surely wasn't made up by the hike in beer prices. His coaching decisions have been a mixed bag. Personally I think Coach Boyle was a great hire and Jay deserves a ton of credit for that one. The women's BB team is about where they were with the old coach (around 500 give or take) so that is a wash. Football is a joke. That has to way pretty heavily on the grading system since this is (or at least was) a football school.

All this being said, Jay probably better really hope he gets this job. Anytime your employer finds out your resume is with another company, nothing good happens.

I saw that the salary is about what he's making here, I think. Why would he want the UND job? From what I know it's not a pretty situation up there. There's a huge split between the people who want to stay d2 and move up. They're football coach quit too and I believe they're in a much worse financial situation then we are. Plus, who wants to live in North Dakota?

I wish, I wish, I wish uppon a star, and hope it takes Jay straight to UND.

UND is already moving up, they have begun the process, so I dont think he is going to have a big decision to make.

Getting into the BSC was Jay's biggest and only major acomplishment as far as I am concerned. He had a ton of help from other university officials on the facility upgrades, and gets shared credit for that at most. His coaching changes have been a wash overall, some good some bad.

The fact that the department has become a revolving door for staff is just another downside to Jay's reign of mediocrity.

I can only hope that word of his attempt to leave has reached Kay and the BOT, if they know he is looking for an out, maybe they will speed his transitition. Another possiablity that just came to mind is that he is looking for a new job because he has been told not to count on having this one much longer, and the university has allowed him to take the initative on getting out the door so they can let him save face.

Beardown said:
I saw that the salary is about what he's making here, I think. Why would he want the UND job? From what I know it's not a pretty situation up there. There's a huge split between the people who want to stay d2 and move up. They're football coach quit too and I believe they're in a much worse financial situation then we are. Plus, who wants to live in North Dakota?
I agree with you here. If you exclude hockey which is a major draw at UND, it would seem to me to be a lateral move. They have better facilities, not sure about the economic situation there vs. here, but it would seem that UND is going to have some difficulty finding a conference.

I think the issue I had was the lack of communication. In my opinion the AD has to be sort of a Pied Piper type that can get out and glad hand people and get people excited. That never seemed to happen, the no comment quotes to the press being a big part of that. So he turned people off for whatever reason and that's the opposite of what we need.

I do give him credit for making those coaching changes, they were not easy decisions and he did step up.

The state of the football program under his watch is a big negative. Say what you will but football is/was the flagship program in the department. Wins in baseball or volleyball are nice but ultimately you are judged on football and to a lesser extent basketball, nobody really notices the rest. So when your football program goes 2-21 under the guy you hand picked it's a huge red flag.

Ultimately though if he is out looking for other jobs then it's probably best for all concerned at this point to part ways.

Hopefully we could get someone in here that's a bit more of a charismatic leader that can rally the troops and get some excitement brewing moving forward.

Bearsradio...in the mix? Dude, the Mens team is 4-8 or 4-9 in conference and 11-14 overall. They are one spot out of last place according to the BigSky tally sheet. Granted, the Mens basketball team has shown a little more success than the football team but saying that they are in the mix is a sssttrrreeetttccchhh. I think that the mens team gives good game, and will eventually be successful, but I think that the only stretch here is you trying to be an apologist for Hinrichs by trying to insinuate that the hiring of Boyle and White somehow make up for the hiring of Downing. The best record is that of White's and they are 5-5, 11-12. I don't know what was considered a winning record at K State, but in my book, UNC is seeing very little success from its recent hires.
As far as Fallis and the BigSky, let's use this assumption. You like Hinrichs because he might know something we don't which makes his decisions somewhat credible in you eyes. Right? I tell you what, I will back off of Hinrichs if you admit that maybe Fallis knew something about the BigSky situation, and the lack of support that UNC would receive, that made him want to "sabotage" the deal. I will give Hinrichs credit for building the Jackson Field facility. Now someone in the Athletic Department needs to market it. Maybe a State tournament or something that will showcase the school ( by proper use of the facilities). As far as "upgrades"to any other facility, why are people always complaining that we have one of the worst basketball facilities in the BigSky? Why are you giving credit to Hinrichs for upgrades that will probably need to be torn out to do another upgrade?
I guess that you are right, Hinrichs should get all the credit he deserves. Jay...thanks for the soccer field, the new concession stands at Nottingham, and the plastic seats at Hanthingy. Now don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out...oh yeah, get that light switch.

For BearDown...PICK A SIDE, ANYSIDE. JUST PICK ONE. Your "I love him, I hate him" stance on everything, makes people not take you seriously. Even when you have a good argument, it is tainted by the knowledge that you will reverse it within 48 hours.

Ursa, this is a conference where sitting 4-8 could get you in the tournament. Granted, they'll need to win four straight, but, for crying out loud, this team won only two conference games last year and four total. The fact that Tad has them in this position speaks volumes, and given breaks going another way, this team is 8-4 in the conference. But, I continue to be reminded that this isn't a college basketball state, despite the fact that there's more hoops talent in the state than there is football talent. For some reason fans seem to prefer the Nuggets, which is foreign to me.

Now, that said, I'm not being an apologist; I'm bringing up areas where Jay has created positives, esp. since you seem to believe that he's been nothing but negative. I'm just trying to remind you and others that some good things have happened in the past five years. Also, it's interesting that people think we play in the worst basketball facility in the conference (Sac State has us beat by far) when the coaches actually like it in its current configuration. One thousand fans there make a lot of noise, two thousand makes it where a crowd mic isn't needed on the broadcast.

Trust me, I've had my issues with Jay, but I'm not going to air those here, save for one: upgrading Jackson for soccer and doing nothing for baseball, which plays more home games and has more necessity for a better facility.

I'm not playing Polyanna here; I'm just trying to point up where some urban legends have come into play: facilities upgrade was already in place before he arrived? No. Fallis may have known something? Fallis was just trying to screw UNC over after being forced out. His pursuit of the NAU job (for which he was the 3rd choice, BTW) came after he was informed his contract would not be renewed. Fallis burned half the bridges in the city, and put the department in deeper and deeper debt by making moves such as signing a contract for the football team to travel to Maine for a one-game shot.

Finally, Ursa, I realize your passion is football, and that it all rotates around that. I'm good with that, but you might want to add a little perspective. All AD's have their positives and negatives, and I'm just trying to look at things as glass half-full.

I am with you bearsradio, and ursa i have always said Jay has made some mistakes but there are some positives too. An AD position is very political and you're not going to please every one. He's had to make some hard choices. Try to look at positives things about people Ursa, it makes life easier to live.

I think Jay under estimated where UNC was when he took over and thought he would be widely excepted because Fallis was not very poular. I dont think he ever imagined he was worse for the job than Fallis. If there is anything he can hang his hat on its the addition of Coach Boyle. Other than that anybody could have executed the other coaching additions and subtractions. I think UND will hire someone else and we will be stuck with Hinrichs until our President makes the descision to relieve him of his duties. Lets start the Debate on who should replace him........any suggestions?

BEAR 2003 said:
Lets start the Debate on who should replace him........any suggestions?

Although there is obviously a lot of work to do, I would think that the job would be more appealing to candidates this time around. The transition is complete, we are in a conference and some upgrades have been made to the facilities.

When was the last time Butler-Hancock had 2000 screaming fans? I will concede that 4-8 will get you into the BigSky tournament, but let's not go changing the name on the building to Boyle Arena just yet. If we advance a couple of rounds in the tourney, I will call it a successful season. But if we fly somewhere just to have our asses handed to us because we were fortunate to "qualify",then I would be sitting down with Boyle at the end of the season to find out what his plan is for improvement.
You are right, I am primarily a football guy, but I don't see how that taints my perspective. My "sources" have stated that facility upgrades had been discussed long before Jay came. Do we give him credit because he was the guy occupying the chair when it all went down? In your world, the answer would be yes. In mine no. You seem to be looking for reasons to pat the guy on the back and I can't seem to find them. Going to the students for more cash was a no brainer. The State wasn't going to give it to us. The boosters weren't going to come up with it. Gee...who would that leave?
I think that we both see the glass as being half full, I just want to make sure of what I'm drinking.

Latest posts

Back