• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Projected 2023 Starters

Kadeezy

While there may be another wave of entrants into the Transfer Portal after the Early Signing Period concludes and teams/players know what's still out there, it's comforting to see so many key players returning (hopefully) in 2023. Obviously the biggest question mark will be the QB position. Our biggest strengths look like they will be 4 of 5 on the OL returning, and 9 of 11 starters on Defense (Okoye, Ngata).

This is still a top 15 team IMO. Coach Thompson will be coaching and calling the plays for this defense, which brings back a ton of depth and experience (next year will be the tough year to replace guys on this side of the ball). With a new era on the offensive side of the ball, this unit will have to step up to keep us in games where maybe we're sputtering a bit...

PROJECTED OFFENSE

LT – Stiefel (Sr.)
LG – Slater (Jr.)
C – Mejia (So.)
RG – Riley (So.)
RT – Garza (Jr.)
TE – Martin (Sr.)
WR – Gandy (So.)
WR – Gipson (Jr.)
WR – Clayton (Sr.)
RB – Fulcher (Sr.) or Tau-Tolliver (So.)
QB – Bennett (Jr.)

PROJECTED DEFENSE

DE – Fashola (Jr.)
DT – Hardeman (Sr.)
DT – Stanley (Sr.)
DE – C. Smith (So.)
LB – Bailey (Sr.)
LB – Mather (Sr.)
CB – Juniel (Sr.)
CB – Nelson (Sr.)
SS – Davis Smith (Jr.)
FS – Broussard (Jr.)

***Gipson withdrew from portal on 12/20. Added as starter.

Carson Camp the U of South Dakota QB transferred to Sac State.

https://goyotes.com/sports/football/roster/carson-camp/11910

Green Laser said:

I saw that. I’m betting he’s the backup, who’ll have a chance to win the job. Hopefully Conklin can RS, and Hale is a wildcard.

Bennett and Camp might do the 2QB thing, who knows lol. Bennett is interesting because I think he’s a better passer than O’Hara, and a better runner than Dunniway. Lol.

Bennett could easily step in Full time if healthy and play a style very similar to Kevin Thomson.

Kadeezy said:
Green Laser said:

I saw that. I’m betting he’s the backup, who’ll have a chance to win the job. Hopefully Conklin can RS, and Hale is a wildcard.

Bennett and Camp might do the 2QB thing, who knows lol. Bennett is interesting because I think he’s a better passer than O’Hara, and a better runner than Dunniway. Lol.

Bennett could easily step in Full time if healthy and play a style very similar to Kevin Thomson.

They also have Dorian Hale, I seen him in garbage time of the Northern Colorado game, he looked fast and illusive! They had been talking about converting him to RB. Coach Fresques will have plenty talent to work with!

Green Laser said:
Kadeezy said:
Green Laser said:

They also have Dorian Hale, I seen him in garbage time of the Northern Colorado game, he looked fast and illusive! They had been talking about converting him to RB. Coach Fresques will have plenty talent to work with!

Love that you quoted a post mentioning Hale as if he wasn't mentioned.

Camp is a pocket passer - I think they will pair him with either Bennett or Conklin. Hale has already been working with the WRs a bit - I think he's moving out there to take advantage of his speed.

Bodega Joe said:
Just curious… I can see he’s no longer on the roster but what ever happened to Yaro Duvalko?

I believe he is still enrolled and is just a college student now, but I'll have to ask around. Former Utah State commit, held about 6 FBS offers... Chose us, and lasted one year. Mind you, that was a tough QB room when he arrived. But he showed potentially in camp and was the team scout team MVP last year.

Only position that needs to be figured out is QB, hopefully they can figure out a way to get the ball to Gandy, kid is an absolute stud.

stingthemgood said:
Bodega Joe said:
Just curious… I can see he’s no longer on the roster but what ever happened to Yaro Duvalko?

I believe he is still enrolled and is just a college student now, but I'll have to ask around. Former Utah State commit, held about 6 FBS offers... Chose us, and lasted one year. Mind you, that was a tough QB room when he arrived. But he showed potentially in camp and was the team scout team MVP last year.

I know he left the team, a buddy said he heard he went to Ukraine to fight. I have absolutely zero evidence to support that, but that’s what message boards are for. He is a very talented player and good kid from everything I knew.

stingthemgood said:
Conklin is early enrolling. I think he may be the dude.

He very well could be, skillset as a dual threat is very similar to Bennett, in a slightly bigger frame (with two more years of eligibility).

Kadeezy said:
While there may be another wave of entrants into the Transfer Portal after the Early Signing Period concludes and teams/players know what's still out there, it's comforting to see so many key players returning (hopefully) in 2023. Obviously the biggest question mark will be the QB position. Our biggest strengths look like they will be 4 of 5 on the OL returning, and 9 of 11 starters on Defense (Okoye, Ngata).

This is still a top 15 team IMO. Coach Thompson will be coaching and calling the plays for this defense, which brings back a ton of depth and experience (next year will be the tough year to replace guys on this side of the ball). With a new era on the offensive side of the ball, this unit will have to step up to keep us in games where maybe we're sputtering a bit...

PROJECTED OFFENSE

LT – Stiefel (Sr.)
LG – Slater (Jr.)
C – Mejia (So.)
RG – Riley (So.)
RT – Garza (Jr.)
TE – Martin (Sr.)
WR – Gandy (So.)
WR – Gipson (Jr.)
WR – Clayton (Sr.)
QB – Bennett (Jr.)

PROJECTED DEFENSE

DE – Fashola (Jr.)
DT – Hardeman (Sr.)
DT – Stanley (Sr.)
DE – C. Smith (So.)
LB – Bailey (Sr.)
LB – Mather (Sr.)
CB – Juniel (Sr.)
CB – Nelson (Sr.)
SS – Davis Smith (Jr.)
FS – Broussard (Jr.)

Seems like some of the obvious updates to this are likely Camp as QB1 and at least one of the Cal/CU transfers likely cracking the starting lineup in the defensive backfield.

Have we kept everyone else in the program and healthy since Dec?

Kadeezy said:
Kadeezy said:

PROJECTED OFFENSE

LT – Stiefel (Sr.)
LG – Slater (Jr.)
C – Mejia (So.)
RG – Riley (So.)
RT – Garza (Jr.)
TE – Martin (Sr.)
WR – Gandy (So.)
WR – Gipson (Jr.)
WR – Clayton (Sr.)
QB – Bennett (Jr.)

PROJECTED DEFENSE

DE – Fashola (Jr.)
DT – Hardeman (Sr.)
DT – Stanley (Sr.)
DE – C. Smith (So.)
LB – Bailey (Sr.)
LB – Mather (Sr.)
CB – Juniel (Sr.)
CB – Nelson (Sr.)
SS – Davis Smith (Jr.)
FS – Broussard (Jr.)

Seems like some of the obvious updates to this are likely Camp as QB1 and at least one of the Cal/CU transfers likely cracking the starting lineup in the defensive backfield.

I think Pollard starts over O'Hara at NB for the defensive spot you're missing. It is a tight race though. I also think that may be where Higgins, your Cal transfer, could get slotted as Safety I think is far an away our deepest position. We have 5 guys who could start at Safety and two spots.

Running back is going to be more interesting then some might think. I think a lot of people on this board are going to love seeing the ball in Ezra Moleni's hands. 23 yr old Junior after taking his Mission after HS and then playing two years at CSM. Dude might be a beast....

Kicker is also interesting. Obviously losing the program's best kicker hurts. Nick Clegg is a late add there -- he decommited from McNeese State to come to us and was pretty highly rated out of a lot of those kickers camps. Recently they added on a slash Punter to his role on the roster page.

RB’s I am very excited to see Fulcher go off!!! He’s solid! I haven’t researched EZRA? I’ll look him up. The other young man from Elk Grove I was thinking might be getting some play!
QB’s feeling good. I think Camp with experience will be 1st, 2 & 3rd might alternate to give game experience when we have the ability to get those reps.

Kadeezy said:
Green Laser said:

Was looking at Camp as we play USD this week - he has only played in three games this year as a JR. He's obviously going to take a RS Year, which will stagger him one year behind Bennett and two years ahead of Conklin (who will use this as his RS Year). There might be a window for him to play some here if he can get healthy and stay on the roster. Though he didn't show much before getting hurt against Nicholls. Maybe he'll get the medical RS too, Thomson-style, and play until 2026!

Kadeezy said:

Well, the Cal/CU transfers cracking the starting lineup prediction only took 10 injuries to come true, but here we are.

stingthemgood said:
Kadeezy said:

Well, the Cal/CU transfers cracking the starting lineup prediction only took 10 injuries to come true, but here we are.

Oh yes, this was a good read a year later!

Latest posts

Back