• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Message from Coach Katz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenteam

Hornet Alumni, Supporters and Community Members,

I would love to tell you I am surprised by the treatment of Brandon Laird and his staff in recent days, but unfortunately, I am not.

To be clear, the university has a right to hire and fire anyone they want - that is not the issue here. The issue at hand is a thing called professionalism which must always be core value number one in any organization. What exactly is professionalism? It is the proper day to day treatment of those in any organization, at any level, in any line of work, through both good and bad times. It is treating your employees with kindness, honesty, integrity, and respect even though you may have to make tough decisions and inform them of various unpleasantries. No one enjoys this task. However, it is the minimum that is expected from any organization and anyone is owed as much.

This past Friday, April 1 2022, Brandon Laird and his staff were asked by a Human Resources Analyst through email to turn in their keys, phones, and computers. For four employees who have a combined thirty six years at Sacramento State to be treated in this fashion is both unprofessional and unconscionable. It seems obvious that a face to face meeting with the Athletic Director and/or President, a thank you, and the question of "how can I assist you in employment endeavors moving forward?" would be in order.

It is interesting because the current Athletic Director and President love to use such phrases as :
1. "We always need to do the right thing"
2. "We will always be transparent"
3. "We are all about Hornet Family"

In my experience people who truly live those phrases do not feel a need to repeat such rhetoric over and over and over. Why should they? They know that their actions will speak for themselves, not their words. It is like the phrase I heard long ago, "your actions are so loud, I cannot hear what you are saying."

Many years ago I decided to associate and surround myself exclusively with authentic people. How do I define authentic? It can clearly be defined by asking one question: "Are your words and your actions in line?" If your words and actions line up, then you are truly authentic. If your words and your actions are not consistent, then you are not authentic, and as a result, I have no interest in associating with you as you have revealed exactly who and what you are.

Make no mistake, this is not about the hiring of David Patrick. My interactions over the years with David have been professional, and he was gracious in defeat when his UC Riverside team lost at the Nest during the 2019-2020 season. This is about the very bare minimum that we would all hope for in the workplace: PROFESSIONALISM. The handling of Brandon Laird and his staff does not remotely begin to rise to the minimum level of human decency.

Sincerely,

Brian Katz
CSUS Class of 1980

Wow. Was Coach Laird even given an interview?

What candidates were actually interviewed, or was it a closed search?

movielover said:
Wow. Was Coach Laird even given an interview?

What candidates were actually interviewed, or was it a closed search?

According to The State Hornet, he was.

Laird was interviewed by Orr the week of March 28 for the vacant head coaching position. Between then and the late hours of April 3, days after initial reports of the new coach hire had come out, Orr had given Laird no communication or contact.

https://statehornet.com/2022/04/wha...r-mishandling-of-his-departure-as-head-coach/

If anyone wants to chime in on this issue, do it now. I'll be locking this thread and the other email thread in a few days. It's time to turn the page and close this chapter of Hornet hoops.

Look our program has struggled since we made a wrong hire in the late 80’s. Katz was brought in much like Sperbeck in football. Bring stability and respectability back. That was accomplished.

Laird did not get an interview? He sure did, it was called the 21-22 season.. There are some people who can take a start up to mid level then stall out. There are others who can take a stalled out program and launch them to the next level. That person is Orr. When you strive to achieve the next level you will change things.

Katz wants to talk professionalism? Try not resigning a few days before the season starts.

Disappointed (and honestly, kind of sick) of the narrative from the Katz and Laird camp these past few days.

Opinion: the fact that this group of coaches has had 13+ seasons to build a D1 program but can only produce mediocre on-court results are almost unheard of in today’s day and age. Off the court, they’ve graduated a lot of the players, and that’s great. But this is the D1 athletics business, on-court results matter too. Constantly finishing in the bottom half of the conference for years except for a couple of outlier years matter. This fan base appreciates the effort from the coaching staff this past decade-plus, but it’s time for both sides to move on. This whole stunt the staff is doing shows that they are in fact, the unprofessional party.

Professional Guidelines: Until the individual who was offered the position officially signs the contract, the position is still open. It would be both unethical and unprofessional of Mark Orr and President Nelson to “inform” Laird that he’s out of the running when the position is not officially filled still being. Asking for special treatment when this is a formal search process is unprofessional. Contract terms could always stall out, and David Patrick could always change back out; therefore, Laird was a candidate until the position is officially closed. The “handshake and look in the eye” that Laird believe is owed to him, if granted, should not take place anytime before Monday-Tuesday (when David Patrick finalized his contract with the University.), which was not “soon enough” for Laird.

I am not even 1% shocked Orr handled things this way ( And YES Orr this is the guy who yelled at you during the 2020 season " it's ok to clap or cheer when the team is playing well and not be sad because you wanted them to lose).
Coach Laird is great person and 100% should have NOT found out through social media.
Coach Katz had an amazing career and will forever be in the California JUCo hall of Fame and having earned mid major Coach of the year. But most importantly touched the lives of so many players and Coaches through the years.

Not a burner account. I am a Coach for 33 years including High School, Division 1, and with Olympics and someone who thinks Coach Katz has been the person I have learned the most from.

Most staff gets fired after a 7 win season (2017-2018) (and two of those wins were against non D1 schools), the fact that this same staff got to coach 4 more seasons after that is generous to the highest level.

Never seen a coaching staff with such a long leash make so much noise and exit so ungracefully.

Excellent posts HH and GAS. The Sperbeck to Katz is a great comparison. Both coaches raised the bar and laid the foundation for a better future for those that follow after.

It's a shame to see Katz go out like this. I envisioned a situation where he could have hung around and continued to build his legacy around this program via community outreach and engagement similar to what John Smith does for baseball. Oh well.

I figured Laird would be able to land somewhere in the D1 realm, but after going out like this I'm not so sure any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back