• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

January Breaks Sac Weight Throw Record

superhornet

Junior James January broke the school indoor weight throw record with a heave of 64'4" that won the Jacksons Invitational this past weekend. This put January at the top of the Big Sky and #24 in D-I. The Hornet throws crew nearly swept the points as Alberto Milan (59'9.75") placed second, Zach Coniglio (59'5.5") fourth, and James Kinloch (52'3.25") seventh.

Additionally, the women's DMR team posted the fifth fastest time in school history at 12:08.71, and vaulters Miranda Dumas and Molly Pearlman were third and fourth at 11'9.75" and are now tied for fourth in school history.

Back story on January. The Hornets got him from Stockton-San Joaquin Delta College, where he was getting D-I walk-on offers, which is apparently a way D-I coaches tell athletes that they have heart but no talent. The former throws coach at Davis (one of my teammates in HS) saw more in him than that and worked with him to get a few better looks. He got one from Sac, and the rest is history! The best in Hornet history!

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/track/2013-4/releases/20140125ozrzxk#.UuSWEDxi1sM.facebook

EDIT: I saw the words "weight throw" in the article and assumed that it was the same event as shot put, as I've never heard of it, even as a track guy since HS. One of my fellow Lodi High coaches explained the difference. It's a weight about the size of a bowling ball in a bag with something of a handle, and it's thrown in a fashion similar to the hammer. Interesting....

Great win by the Hornet men today at home in the meet over several schools including Davis who scored only 39 points. Nice to crush the Aggies. Sac won with 186 points.

Saw an article in the State Hornet where the coaches are red shirting 25 athletes this year to build for next year with the Big Sky championships being at NAU where the elevation is over 7,000 feet and a big disadvantage for all opponents heading to Flagstaff. So perhaps a good move for Hornet track to position Sac State back on top for next year and years to follow for young Hornet teams . But sure the Hornets will still try to remain on top this year at the BSC championships

Latest posts

Back