• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Hinrichs Resigns

Yea, I heard this on the radio. They just said he resigned immediatly . I am thinking something serious came up or he was asked to resign ????

Just like CU and CSU realized it takes an AD these days that understands this is a business and they have to reach out and interact with the boosters and alumni and not ignore them.

From The Mirror:

UNC Athletic Director Jay Hinrichs has resigned from his position, according to an announcement made late Tuesday by the university.

In a press release the university sent to media — which The Mirror obtained from 1310 KFKA in Greeley — University of Northern Colorado President Kay Norton announced Hinrichs’ resignation.

“Jay has been an essential part of our journey from Division II to Division I and our success in the Big Sky Conference,” Norton says in the release. “He cares passionately about the individual success of each and every one of our student-athletes and that has always distinguished his time here.”

Hinrichs served as the university’s athletics director since Aug. 23, 2004 and was widely responsible from the program’s membership into the Big Sky, among other athletic conferences, and development of athletic facilities. UNC also saw great success in competition — winning multiple conference championships and making NCAA Tournament appearances — and achieving academic recognition.

“We’ve built a strong foundation for UNC Athletics, and I am ready for a new challenge,” Hinrichs says in the press release. “The coaching staff, support staff and student-athletes have incredible human achievement athletically and academically. There is no better group of coaches and student-athletes in the nation than the Bears of Northern Colorado. I wish them much success.”

Norton will act as the interim athletics director until a replacement is hired, a process that is not likely to start immediately.

“We are going to take time to look seriously at what we need in athletics leadership to build on the success of the past decade,” Norton says in the release. “I have complete confidence in the abilities and commitment of the department’s staff, along with support from the university, to take us forward during the transition.”

I moved the related posts from the football section over here. Sorry if it messes anyone up.

Finally, something to do besides banning spammers.

I can't help but be excited but worried about some PR storm about to happen if Jay or someone else did something really bad that caused this.

My kid is new to the school and the basketball team. I don't know much about the outgoing AD. Was this a welcome loss or will he be greatly missed?

Here is what is scary. UNC athletics now has no AD, no Associate AD, and a president who apparently has nothing better to do than play dress up as the athletic director, even though she has no idea what she is doing. I thought that UNC could not drop to the level of incompetence and chaos of Idaho State but I was wrong. The athletic department is understaffed as it is and now who ever is left is going to have to do all the administrative work since the president is hardly going to have any idea what to do. I would say that the Board of Trustees should clean house and start over but there's hardly anyone left as it is.

A change in leadership was inevitable but as always the UNC administration has bungled this situation and the ones who will be hurt are the student athletes and be grotesquely underpaid coaches and staff members of the athletic department.

What a mess...

Miguel said:
Here is what is scary. UNC athletics now has no AD, no Associate AD, and a president who apparently has nothing better to do than play dress up as the athletic director, even though she has no idea what she is doing. I thought that UNC could not drop to the level of incompetence and chaos of Idaho State but I was wrong. The athletic department is understaffed as it is and now who ever is left is going to have to do all the administrative work since the president is hardly going to have any idea what to do. I would say that the Board of Trustees should clean house and start over but there's hardly anyone left as it is.

A change in leadership was inevitable but as always the UNC administration has bungled this situation and the ones who will be hurt are the student athletes and be grotesquely underpaid coaches and staff members of the athletic department.

What a mess...
The only mess is your reply. I have read all of your posts and you have to be one of the most pessimistic people on here ! The strides that this athletic program has made is commendable. Yea we could always use more money but I bet you did not even know that this past year "overall" was the best this school has accomplished in the Big Sky. I really don't think you could be pleased !

beardevil39 said:
Miguel said:

What a mess...
The only mess is your reply. I have read all of your posts and you have to be one of the most pessimistic people on here ! The strides that this athletic program has made is commendable. Yea we could always use more money but I bet you did not even know that this past year "overall" was the best this school has accomplished in the Big Sky. I really don't think you could be pleased !

So, instead of dealing with the grim reality of situation, you choose a personal attack.... And doing so in a rather incoherent fashion. Perhaps a bit more time proof reading your posts will help order your thoughts.

Insofar as this being an overall quality year for UNC athletics, I do agree that the school's modest success in some programs in the mildly competitive Big Sky Conference is to be commended but the reality is that football still had a losing record and basketball barely made it into the playoffs. I appreciate the other sports but in reality if football and basketball do not succeed, UNC athletics cannot hope for anything but ongoing mediocrity.

So, am I pessimistic? Remember Beardevil 39 that it was you who earlier this year was screaming in profanities for the basketball coach Hill to be fired....

Miguel said:
beardevil39 said:
Miguel said:

What a mess...

So, instead of dealing with the grim reality of situation, you choose a personal attack.... And doing so in a rather incoherent fashion. Perhaps a bit more time proof reading your posts will help order your thoughts.

Insofar as this being an overall quality year for UNC athletics, I do agree that the school's modest success in some programs in the mildly competitive Big Sky Conference is to be commended but the reality is that football still had a losing record and basketball barely made it into the playoffs. I appreciate the other sports but in reality if football and basketball do not succeed, UNC athletics cannot hope for anything but ongoing mediocrity.

So, am I pessimistic? Remember Beardevil 39 that it was you who earlier this year was screaming in profanities for the basketball coach Hill to be fired....

Sorry my friend, but it was not me who was asking for BJ's head. I have never screamed profanities about a coaching change. You have me mixed up with someone else. And don't take things so personal. I was just trying to get a conversation going. :eek:

Godeev said:
My kid is new to the school and the basketball team. I don't know much about the outgoing AD. Was this a welcome loss or will he be greatly missed?

Depends on who you ask. I think it was time. He was here for 9 years which is a long time for most A.D. it seems.

Thank God, miracles do happen! This is the best thing that has happened to Athletics in the last 9 years.
Jay has run this department into the ground. Morale is the pits, and the Booster/Department relations are in shambles. Yes some good things have happened, and if I could give all the credit to Jay I would. But the fact is alot of people were involved in the Facilities upgrades and the Big Sky move. IMO, these things happened in spite of Jay, not because of him. Lets move on and make a positive move, get an experienced AD who wants to accept Greeley as their home and embrace this school. Jays move to "change our culture" was and is a total failure.

ZCLAWS said:
Thank God, miracles do happen! This is the best thing that has happened to Athletics in the last 9 years.
Jay has run this department into the ground. Morale is the pits, and the Booster/Department relations are in shambles. Yes some good things have happened, and if I could give all the credit to Jay I would. But the fact is alot of people were involved in the Facilities upgrades and the Big Sky move. IMO, these things happened in spite of Jay, not because of him. Lets move on and make a positive move, get an experienced AD who wants to accept Greeley as their home and embrace this school. Jays move to "change our culture" was and is a total failure.

Are you close to the AD? How do you know this?

It would be nice to have an answer to why he resigned.

The Tribune opinion probably hits the nail on the head. He had some success with coaching hires and facility upgrades, but did have issues with alumni and donors. It mentions he had a brash style of working with people and rumors were that he alienated key donors. Perhaps Miguel and ZClawz are two of those individuals. But my question is: if he's always had those issues, why now?

Latest posts

Back