• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Fire Ed

Floydcaster, I agree with everything you wrote. The biggest thing that concerns me is Ed's commitment to UNC. When Dylan is gone , is he still all in for the next 2 years?

I am not sure anyone but Ed and his family can really answer that. I am not as worried about him not living in Greeley, plenty of people where I live have 1 to 1.5 hour commutes everyday and are extremely committed to their jobs. In the end, we all realistically know that we can't afford to fire Ed (and I doubt most really want it to happen), it's more of an avenue to vent.

Lets just hope those that need to get better (Offensive Coordinator, QB, WR's etc...) improve along the way so we can at least put in a game effort against the good conference teams.

I'll chime in here and say it's important to remember where the bar is for this program. It's on the floor. Hell, it's below the floor if that's possible.

In their respective first seasons, Downing and Collins combined to go 1-21 (the win was by 1 point), so getting up in arms over Ed's 2-4 start seems...a little too high on ourselves, I guess.

Yeah, the last two games were ugly, I'll admit, but Cal Poly and Southern Utah, teams more on our level, really didn't fare any better against MSU and EWU. It may just simply be a case of the gaps between the haves and the have-nots in the Big Sky this season being really big, and unfortunately for the Bears, the schedule makers dealt us literally ALL of the "haves."

I'm looking forward to seeing how this team does against Sac State and SUU, who seem like teams we should be able to at least compete with, and who knows, after losing to Idaho State last week, we're running into UC Davis at either the best or worst possible time.

All that said, I'm still in "wait and see" mode with Ed, so let's hope for the best in the last five games this year and beyond.

There are 128 FCS football teams and we got beat by 2 teams in the top 10 and play another in the top 15 this week. I don't think anyone would give you very good odds of winning those games. Our team has been playing with less than full strength due to Covid rules and it is no wonder they are not beating these teams or even playing them close. I remember a couple of years ago we were actually rated at the bottom of those 128 teams so we have no where to go but up.

Go Bears

A bunch of coaches are not on the trip due to COVID including the worst OC in college football and the receiver group is decimated due to COVID protocol, this team has struggled with COVID issues because of the lack of leadership from these coaches making sure protocol has been followed who knows with Max missing it might be a blessing in disguise!

Beanhead said:
A bunch of coaches are not on the trip due to COVID including the worst OC in college football and the receiver group is decimated due to COVID protocol, this team has struggled with COVID issues because of the lack of leadership from these coaches making sure protocol has been followed who knows with Max missing it might be a blessing in disguise!

Running a risk here but I don't think it helps that Ed is probably on the FoxNews side of things. They actually posted on twitter, a pregame prayer led by a coach which is a violation of the establishment clause of the Constitution. They took it down but it underscores how the political/religious leaning of the leadership may be shaping the current program (which is not good for COVID related issues).

Note, I am happy to have a civil discussion on this issue so keep the conversation free from personal attacks (ie, please don't call me a pinko commie :D ).

Brian said:
Beanhead said:

Running a risk here but I don't think it helps that Ed is probably on the FoxNews side of things. They actually posted on twitter, a pregame prayer led by a coach which is a violation of the establishment clause of the Constitution. They took it down but it underscores how the political/religious leaning of the leadership may be shaping the current program (which is not good for COVID related issues).

Note, I am happy to have a civil discussion on this issue so keep the conversation free from personal attacks (ie, please don't call me a pinko commie :D ).
Brian said:
Beanhead said:

At this point I don't think a prayer would hurt. I recall seeing a prayer given to our troops before going into battle during war time and no one made a big deal about it. Now days it is considered a bad thing to pray. What have we come to in this country?

budbear said:
Brian said:
Beanhead said:

Brian said:
Beanhead said:

At this point I don't think a prayer would hurt. I recall seeing a prayer given to our troops before going into battle during war time and no one made a bid deal about it. Now days it is considered a bad thing to pray. What have we come to in this country?

Hoping you are not equating 18 year old kids being sent to certain death to football? If one wants to go to a private religious college (like Liberty) they are free to pray all they want. If you are in a public institution, coaches can't lead prayer. It's been covered over and over by the courts. Yes, most of the kids probably grew up in some form of Christian households but it alienates those who believe in a different sky god or no sky god at all. This is extra important since coaches can determine who plays, who gets scholarships and who doesn't. If you need an appeal to god to win a game (like any god cares), then we are in huge trouble. Again, I have no issue if a player from the team wants to say a prayer or even lead a prayer but when it comes to state paid employees, they cant do it. I work for the federal government and I would be fired on the spot if I led my staff in a prayer. This isn't any different.

To be honest, the whole prayer thing isn’t on my radar, what is on my radar:
1 Play calling- we have not only the worst but most predictable offense in the league, we don’t mix the tempo, we run the wrong plays based on the game situation, the whole league has our screen game figured out, how many third and longs did we have last night and we didn’t run anything that gave us a chance to get the first down.
2 Game awareness- last night could have been a one score game at the half if we try and make two makeable field goals, then when we need touchdowns in the 4th quarter we kick.
3 Ed’s sideline presence- I can’t remember a time if any that he pats players on the back , especially the defense, when they come off the field, last night he just wondered the sideline staring at his play sheet all night, he wasn’t even with the offensive coaches when the offense was on the field, I get he can talk to them through the headphones but how about be there with the other coaches and again be a presence for the players and coach them up
4 Preparation- week after week this team is unprepared, this coaching staff doesn’t know what they are doing. Friday nights the team has no meetings, in Sacramento the platters were out playing on scooters the payers say the coaches don’t care what they do the night before a game. In Bozeman meetings were cancelled and the coaches went to Old Chicago to drink beer. The team has Sunday instead of Monday off, the majority of college teams do recovery work and film study on Sunday then have Monday off. Also the amount of penalties we rack up is a result of lack of preparation and attention to detail by the coaching staff IMO
5 The players have checked out- Many of the players have checked out because this staff has list them, they don’t believe in what the coaches are selling, there will be a mass exodus after this season.

This coaching staff is here because a rich man has a nice hobby, none of them have any business in the college game. It is a total shame what is going on with this program.

Well, the next 2 games are critical. We need to show we can compete with the middling/lower tier FCS schools.

Next week is I think our only real chance to win unless the defense can keep any of the other games to 10 or less we are toast

Beanhead said:
Next week is I think our only real chance to win unless the defense can keep any of the other games to 10 or less we are toast

I was so hopeful after the CU game. I thought, man, we can compete with CU, we could compete for a .500 season in the Big Sky. Oh well.

Brian said:
Hoping you are not equating 18 year old kids being sent to certain death to football? If one wants to go to a private religious college (like Liberty) they are free to pray all they want. If you are in a public institution, coaches can't lead prayer. It's been covered over and over by the courts. Yes, most of the kids probably grew up in some form of Christian households but it alienates those who believe in a different sky god or no sky god at all. This is extra important since coaches can determine who plays, who gets scholarships and who doesn't. If you need an appeal to god to win a game (like any god cares), then we are in huge trouble. Again, I have no issue if a player from the team wants to say a prayer or even lead a prayer but when it comes to state paid employees, they cant do it. I work for the federal government and I would be fired on the spot if I led my staff in a prayer. This isn't any different.

I'm not concerened at all about a college coach leading a team prayer, it happens all the time. Just two examples off the top of my head, South Carolina football tweeted a video of Shane Beamer leading a prayer after beating Vanderbilt last night and it's in practically every episode of Last Chance U on Netflix, and all of those are public institutions. Ed doing it is a complete non-issue to me.

As for what happened on the field in Davis, I'm not sure who filled in for Max calling plays but goodness they were awful. I know some WRs were out, but I saw at least 4 available and that should be enough to have your full playbook available. I've seen NFL teams go into games with 4 or even 3 receivers active intentionally, but it sure seemed like the Bears really limited their playbook last night and it just ended up being really bad. Kudos to the defense though, they played their guts out but it just seemed like they ran out of gas late because the offense couldn't sustain a drive.

Anyway, on to Southern Utah...

It was hard to tell who called plays because when we were on offense Ed was no where near the other coaches who were giving signals and making substitutions, it was very weird to say the least!

Beanhead said:
It was hard to tell who called plays because when we were on offense Ed was no where near the other coaches who were giving signals and making substitutions, it was very weird to say the least!

So honestly what was the turning point for you and your son? I thought in August you came on here and praised the staff?

I agree with what you've said, and from my gathering from former players it's the same. There is no accountability in this program. You can tell just by the way they have poor fundamentals, penalties, etc.

I say Ed MAYBE stays one more season, but that could depend on how much we improve. I do see a lot of players leaving, but that's what is going to happen all over the country with the lax transfer rules. We won't be immune to that.

Unless something bad happens in the program, he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Also, he most likely needs to win for him to jump to another program. He's basically building a lower tier Big Sky program from the ground up. Think of this as a year zero. This is going to take time.

Beanhead said:
To be honest, the whole prayer thing isn’t on my radar, what is on my radar:
1 Play calling- we have not only the worst but most predictable offense in the league, we don’t mix the tempo, we run the wrong plays based on the game situation, the whole league has our screen game figured out, how many third and longs did we have last night and we didn’t run anything that gave us a chance to get the first down.
2 Game awareness- last night could have been a one score game at the half if we try and make two makeable field goals, then when we need touchdowns in the 4th quarter we kick.
3 Ed’s sideline presence- I can’t remember a time if any that he pats players on the back , especially the defense, when they come off the field, last night he just wondered the sideline staring at his play sheet all night, he wasn’t even with the offensive coaches when the offense was on the field, I get he can talk to them through the headphones but how about be there with the other coaches and again be a presence for the players and coach them up
4 Preparation- week after week this team is unprepared, this coaching staff doesn’t know what they are doing. Friday nights the team has no meetings, in Sacramento the platters were out playing on scooters the payers say the coaches don’t care what they do the night before a game. In Bozeman meetings were cancelled and the coaches went to Old Chicago to drink beer. The team has Sunday instead of Monday off, the majority of college teams do recovery work and film study on Sunday then have Monday off. Also the amount of penalties we rack up is a result of lack of preparation and attention to detail by the coaching staff IMO
5 The players have checked out- Many of the players have checked out because this staff has list them, they don’t believe in what the coaches are selling, there will be a mass exodus after this season.

This coaching staff is here because a rich man has a nice hobby, none of them have any business in the college game. It is a total shame what is going on with this program.

I disagree with almost everything that you say here. I get to see this from closer than most...
1. This is pretty close to spot on and the one that I do agree with you on.
2. He was trying to instill some confidence in a team that had very few WRs and knew that when he had a chance to score he should go for it. We know that Raybon can hit FGs but we needed TDs.
3. This is just blatantly wrong. I see him every game go out to the field as the team is coming off and giving them knocks or slapping him on the helmet. He often seeks out the defensive and offensive players and tells them good job. Sure, he doesn't jump around and for sure doesn't show emotion, but he is very involved with his players.
4. Not sure where you get your intel...but on both those trips meetings were held...and we were very short on coaches.
5. TOTALLY DISAGREE with this. The players have not checked out and know that they are not going to turn a program around overnight. I think that the biggest frustration has to do with Covid Protocol. And on that note, I saw a comment earlier that Ed doesn't force this issue. First, he can't...and BTW he is vaccinated and will tell people that and knows that it is how he stays with the team. If there are coaches or players that are not vaccinated that is not in his control and as far as "controlling" them while they are not at practice...not sure how you "control" someone that is exposed in class.

Last thing...you all realize that we are only 7 games into his coaching career? He has to have time to turn this around and has to have time to play with all his players. He has had more than 8 players missing from every game this season due to Covid. And, this defense is one of the best going right now...but I do agree that we need to work on play calling.

Brian said:
budbear said:
Brian said:
Beanhead said:

Brian said:
Beanhead said:

At this point I don't think a prayer would hurt. I recall seeing a prayer given to our troops before going into battle during war time and no one made a big deal about it. Now days it is considered a bad thing to pray. What have we come to in this country?

budbear said:
Brian said:
budbear said:
Brian said:
Beanhead said:

Brian said:
Beanhead said:

Like I said, what have we come to in this country?

budbear said:
]Like I said, what have we come to in this country?

Agreed, but for different reasons. :thumb:

Either way, let's see if we can beat Southern Utah and get us off of the "fire Ed" ledge.

Latest posts

Back