• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Downtown Stadium

I've seen enough facilities related statements from various Hornet admin over the past couple decades to not put any stock into whatever the newest admin guys is touting. Until there is a formal fundraiser for a formal capital improvement project(s) on the books, then this is just more of the same.

Orr has been here for 7 full years now and has done nothing significant on the facilities front, I'm not expecting him to figure it out now. He's the best D1 AD we've ever had, but facilities and fundraising is not his thing.

Wood might be able to get movement but time will tell. His time at SDSU gave him a front row seat on how to get something done, I hope he is able to tap into his past contacts for pointers. The Well remodel is a step in the right direction, but it's just a short term facility and is only happening because there was a dated student referendum to justify pilfering an existing bucket of money to fund the remodel.

A permanent events center and a new football stadium (without a track) will need a formal fundraising campaign in conjunction with a formal project. The closest thing to a formal campaign we ever had was the Power of 1000 and even that lacked the backing of a formal project. And by formal project I mean actual planning/design/construction documents that can be pushed through the CSU process, not an artist rendering of what the facility might look like.
Hell, I'll take an artist rendering and a press release... That's the threshold for my meager donations, but maybe for others too.

I had a great conversation with hornet athletics leadership today.
They have received good feedback from CSU trustees that if the proposal from Dr. Woods is well thought out it will get approved for a bond.
In the interim the university has hired consultants for the proposal and also with the stadium development group that worked w San Diego State on the SnapDragon Stadium project.
The X Factor’s that could speed or slow the project is if we can get a long term lease with Sac Pro Soccer Team? With them on board the economics will easily work out. If they decide to sell that team and they leave Sacramento then the project will take more fundraising commitments from the community and city of Sacramento.
It would be so easy to build support by the Admin releasing information like this formally. Everyone's so chick-s these days. I think something gets done in the end, but man, we're letting the peak of Hornet Football history fly by without capitalizing.

Hell, I'll take an artist rendering and a press release... That's the threshold for my meager donations, but maybe for others too.
Nah I'll pass on that. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice...well you can't get fooled again.

It would be so easy to build support by the Admin releasing information like this formally. Everyone's so chick-s these days. I think something gets done in the end, but man, we're letting the peak of Hornet Football history fly by without capitalizing.
All these facility discussions are moot now. It all comes down to whether or not President Wood has the stones to get these facilities into motion (and funded by the students) with the stroke of a pen.

SD is right for sure. BTW, Cal Stadium LSOAP (Lip Stick on a Pig) ended up close to $170 million in the end 13 years ago. Old Dominion built a football stadium about the size we are taking about 5 years ago for $80 million in a part of the country that you can still get construction workers for the price of a fast food employee today in CA.

SD is right for sure. BTW, Cal Stadium LSOAP (Lip Stick on a Pig) ended up close to $170 million in the end 13 years ago. Old Dominion built a football stadium about the size we are taking about 5 years ago for $80 million in a part of the country that you can still get construction workers for the price of a fast food employee today in CA.
Old Dominion revamped an existing stadium. They modernized an existing footprint by adding more seats, boxes and amenities. And no track.

The $67.5 million venue seats 21,944 with the ability to be expanded to fit 30,000 fans.

After conducting a feasibility study in 2016, it was clear that elevated fan amenities were a priority. The west and east stands were demolished to make way for new seating that emphasizes comfort. Not only do the new seats provide fans with much-requested additional legroom, but the stands are also 10 feet closer to the field to provide better sight lines and a better and more engaged gameday atmosphere.

The new stands give fans more room and brings them closer to the action, creating a more intimate environment. Premium suites and the Priority Automotive Club were added, which is used as a multi-purpose event space beyond game day.

In addition to new stands, renovations included a 20,000 square-feet of open-deck social space, new entries and a front door to the stadium. An arched entrance gate on the east side faces the existing Williamsburg lawn and provide a location to honor Old Dominion legends. A new student entry, along with a dedicated student concession space and pregame activity, and a new west entry gate with a pregame plaza is centered below the new press box and provide space for students to gather and socialize.

First off, you still think the soccer stadium is happening? Having my doubts.

For that matter, for the person trying to compare the Sac State arena situation to Reno, please know that the person who planned to build that Reno arena is the one from whom the NHL just yanked the Arizona Coyotes and have them moving to Utah. The NHL didn’t even wait for him to bid on a piece of north Phoenix land. The inference is that he doesn’t have that money. He has a loan with the NHL that he assumed from previous ownership, so they know his history of welching on owed payments (whether it’s tax payments from the Glendale arena, to hotel bills in Boston, to not investing in the Tempe arena vote that failed, to what the NHL can obviously see now).

Latest posts

Back