• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Downtown Stadium

Kadeezy said:
I just rewatched the Dr. Wood interview. I know we’ve been burned in the past, but dude is suddenly putting his nuts on the line out of nowhere for Hornet athletics. Pretty much says we have to be proud of our school, proud of our colors, proud of our mascot. Goes on to note we are the 5th biggest school in the state, the university at the center of the world’s 6th largest economy, and we’re going to start acting like it.

Also, as others have said, Basketball will almost assuredly be playing in a renovated WELL next season. It makes sense because Wood was here when the facility was supposed to be an events center to begin with. Probably makes the switch justifiable.

The Well was going to host the BST about a decade ago if we won the regular season. I believe at the time they thought they could turn that into a 3,000-ish seat facility. This isn’t the sexiest outcome for basketball, but it will be a hell of a lot better than the nest, and fixes perhaps the most glaring shortcoming of the Hornet athletics possible move up prospects, the basketball facility.

Football facility plan was discussed in the same sentence as San Diego State’s snapdragon stadium, so hold on tight people…

https://www.kcra.com/article/sac-state-s-the-well-approved-as-possible-big-sky-tournament-venue/6420388

Kadeezy said:
Kadeezy said:
I just rewatched the Dr. Wood interview. I know we’ve been burned in the past, but dude is suddenly putting his nuts on the line out of nowhere for Hornet athletics. Pretty much says we have to be proud of our school, proud of our colors, proud of our mascot. Goes on to note we are the 5th biggest school in the state, the university at the center of the world’s 6th largest economy, and we’re going to start acting like it.

Also, as others have said, Basketball will almost assuredly be playing in a renovated WELL next season. It makes sense because Wood was here when the facility was supposed to be an events center to begin with. Probably makes the switch justifiable.

The Well was going to host the BST about a decade ago if we won the regular season. I believe at the time they thought they could turn that into a 3,000-ish seat facility. This isn’t the sexiest outcome for basketball, but it will be a hell of a lot better than the nest, and fixes perhaps the most glaring shortcoming of the Hornet athletics possible move up prospects, the basketball facility.

Football facility plan was discussed in the same sentence as San Diego State’s snapdragon stadium, so hold on tight people…

https://www.kcra.com/article/sac-state-s-the-well-approved-as-possible-big-sky-tournament-venue/6420388

A coincidence that the WELL was just expanded recently?
https://www.csus.edu/news/newsroom/stories/2021/10/well-expansion-renovation.html

Kadeezy said:
Kadeezy said:

No it wasn't, we voted for and approved an events center IN ADDITION TO a wellness/rec center. The only facility feasible to host hoops "next year" is a repurposed Well and as mentioned this was the option had Katz' team not shit the bed in Cedar City in 2015. My speculation is that the play Wood is angling for is to take over the rec space and force another vote for an events center so students don't "lose out" on their rec space. Very shrewd, but a good way to force the issue. When the vote gets rejected, I hope he has the balls to force through the referendum and implement the pricey fee increase to get the events center funded and built.

With the Nest just getting a larger video board, new scoreboard, and digital advertisement boards along the media table, I question the in-game amenities a makeshift Well will have in comparison. Can they be relocated to the Well? Additionally, what will the quality of the seating be? We talking just basic bleacher seating? Will there be a chairback section? Space for other areas to encourage turnout (lounge area similar to what the endzone has for football). I'd like to see how the admin plans for this setup.

SDHornet said:
Kadeezy said:
Kadeezy said:

No it wasn't, we voted for and approved an events center IN ADDITION TO a wellness/rec center. The only facility feasible to host hoops "next year" is a repurposed Well and as mentioned this was the option had Katz' team not isht the bed in Cedar City in 2015. My speculation is that the play Wood is angling for is to take over the rec space and force another vote for an events center so students don't "lose out" on their rec space. Very shrewd, but a good way to force the issue. When the vote gets rejected, I hope he has the balls to force through the referendum and implement the pricey fee increase to get the events center funded and built.

With the Nest just getting a larger video board, new scoreboard, and digital advertisement boards along the media table, I question the in-game amenities a makeshift Well will have in comparison. Can they be relocated to the Well? Additionally, what will the quality of the seating be? We talking just basic bleacher seating? Will there be a chairback section? Space for other areas to encourage turnout (lounge area similar to what the endzone has for football). I'd like to see how the admin plans for this setup.

Wood said something to the effect of a double decker arrangement. Is that removing the top of the nest and adding additional seating/amenities? Doesnt the nest have asbestos, so it is a necessity to remove/mitigate the existing structure? This double decker nest was floated some years ago after the Event Center was scrapped.

I dont see being able to host anything in a rec center, isn't that pull out bleacher seating?

Green Cookie Monster said:
SDHornet said:
Kadeezy said:
Kadeezy said:

No it wasn't, we voted for and approved an events center IN ADDITION TO a wellness/rec center. The only facility feasible to host hoops "next year" is a repurposed Well and as mentioned this was the option had Katz' team not isht the bed in Cedar City in 2015. My speculation is that the play Wood is angling for is to take over the rec space and force another vote for an events center so students don't "lose out" on their rec space. Very shrewd, but a good way to force the issue. When the vote gets rejected, I hope he has the balls to force through the referendum and implement the pricey fee increase to get the events center funded and built.

Wood said something to the effect of a double decker arrangement. Is that removing the top of the nest and adding additional seating/amenities? Doesnt the nest have asbestos, so it is a necessity to remove/mitigate the existing structure? This double decker nest was floated some years ago after the Event Center was scrapped.

I dont see being able to host anything in a rec center, isn't that pull out bleacher seating?

There is an upper level indoor running track in the Well. Not sure if that is where the upper deck comes into play, or if there is footprint in the Well to put in a second deck of scaffolding for the makeshift set up that is being discussed. Either way, President Wood explicitly said "next year" so that rules out (thankfully) any changes to the Nest.

Playing in the Well has the potential to get a lot more student turnout given the natural foot traffic in the Well, plus it being closer to the large parking structure and the Union. I just hope a layout/schematic of the seating gets floated around so we get a visual. Getting seats on the baselines in addition to the sidelines would be good for the atmosphere. If done correctly, the Well would be a good transitional facility until an events center is built.

For 50 million, they could build a new on campus arena today. To use up to 75 million to renovate the football stadium, create a makeshift basketball court that impacts student activities at the Well and try to get it done within a year makes me think they are trying to get into another conference immediately. One that is football focused.

Maybe there are some budget requirements/constraints with the money, or there is a donation specifically marked for football. Who knows. But to me, an events center is a more pressing need for the school if all things stay the same as far as a staying in the Big Sky.

Hornet25 said:
For 50 million, they could build a new on campus arena today. To use up to 75 million to renovate the football stadium, create a makeshift basketball court that impacts student activities at the Well and try to get it done within a year makes me think they are trying to get into another conference immediately. One that is football focused.

Maybe there are some budget requirements/constraints with the money, or there is a donation specifically marked for football. Who knows. But to me, an events center is a more pressing need for the school if all things stay the same as far as a staying in the Big Sky.

Totally agree an event center is a bigger need and a make shift Well situation seems like a waste of money.

Greenteam said:
Hornet25 said:

Totally agree an event center is a bigger need and a make shift Well situation seems like a waste of money.

One idea I heard floated was using the court space in the WELL to create something like where the Santa Cruz Warriors Play (https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2012/9/26/3410250/santa-cruz-warriors-building-kirk-lacob-d-league). Their capacity is 2,505. Ours would be more than that with fans behind both hoops, courtside seats, and second level (currently the walking track) seating, maybe 3,500.

As has been said here, the primary hurdle for Sac State Athletics moving forward at this point is our crappy gym. If this is a quick and affordable stop gap solution to bridge us to a new football stadium and events center down the line. Sign me up.

We probably need to rename this thread, but Dr. Wood just sent out a press release announcing the basketball portion of the facilities upgrades. It's the WELL Renovation to include an Events Center as promised 20 years ago (kinda). I don't see a link to share yet....

Kadeezy said:
We probably need to rename this thread, but Dr. Wood just sent out a press release announcing the basketball portion of the facilities upgrades. It's the WELL Renovation to include an Events Center as promised 20 years ago (kinda). I don't see a link to share yet....

Would love to read the press release. Where did you find it?

Hornet25 said:
Kadeezy said:

Would love to read the press release. Where did you find it?

Instagram from Dr. Wood

Here is the best text grab I can do from my phone…

Dear ASI Board,

We have some exciting news to share about a plan to finally create an event center on campus that can host Athletics, concerts, and other entertainment events for students.

First, a little background. In 2004, students voted for a fee referendum to create a Wellness, Recreation and Event center at Sac State - the plan was for a center that would have an arena, a movie theater, a bowling alley, a swimming pool, sitting/studying areas, and classrooms. Unfortunately, because of rising construction costs, The WELL did not include an Event Center - but we did get an amazing recreation and wellness facility.
Of course, we still have a great need for a campus event center, and we have a moral obligation to honor the vote that raised fees for such a center, and to use those fees, which students have been paying for 20 years, to build that event center. I am pleased that we now have a plan to construct the much-needed center using these student fees.

The plan is to construct expandable seating in The WELL's large basketball court, to be completed by the beginning of the Fall 2024 semester. The new Event Center will host basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, and other Student Athletics events, as well as concerts, guest speakers, and other performing arts and entertainment events. When not hosting these types of events, the large court in The WELL will continue to be used for open recreation for all students, as well as intramurals. The plan will also direct revenue to support non-varsity sports (i.e. club sports and rec sports), student athletics, campus cheer, and will support critical efforts that promote student wellness and campus life. The plan does not require raising student fees. We don't anticipate that the construction will interrupt any activities in The WELL during the spring 2024 semester.

While this initial plan does not address the other things in the original referendum, we will work collaboratively with Union WELL, Inc. and ASI to create a plan to fulfill those promises over the next ten years - without raising student fees. We'll keep you posted as plans progress.

Luke Wood
President
Bill Olmsted
Executive Director, Union WELL, Inc.

That's more encouraging than I thought it would be. Addressed the fact that the funding mechanism is already in place and has been for 20 years. This answers my question about not using the 50-75 mil to build an events center.

Reading between the lines of all of the recent facilities news, the school thinks it needs to address basketball and football facilities
immediately because an opportunity has presented itself to take the leap to an FBS conference.

Curious to see renderings. Although small and limited, the gym has chair back seating and intimate setting. Trading that for expandable metal bleachers. Will there be fan amenities? Lot of questions.completed by Fall 24, that’s 10 months from now.

Meh, I have mixed thoughts on this move.  President Wood's background story on the 2004 referendum is correct and I'm glad he is referencing that as a justification to yoink the facility space from the student body for athletics/university use. Ballasy move and I respect it. As a student that voted in favor of the referendum, the biggest sell was all the bells and whistles (bowling alley, movie theater, non-academic uses for the student body), the new events center for a then exciting MBB program was the catalyst to get it on the ballot which your average student couldn't care for at the time.

First, a repurposed rec center as an events center is positive for athletics but misses the mark on the functionality to support the University needs (graduations, B level concerts, host major conferences and events that don't compete with G1C). Maybe that thought will change as details emerge on how thorough of a project this is, but considering it's to be done over the summer tells me this is just throwing in seats for added capacity. This is still an improvement over the Nest (hell, anything is) but I don't see this as a long term (10 year+) solution.

Secondly, if I'm not mistaken, the wellness fee was reduced in the early 2010's when it became known that the event center (and the bells and whistles mentioned above) wasn't a part of the facility. Maybe someone can correct me on that but I thought ASI fought Gonzo to reduce it after the bait and switch went down. If so, President Wood is just strong arming the student body which can totally backfire on him.

Lastly, I don't think this  repurposing of the Well alleviates the need for a stand alone events center in the 5-8k capacity range. Locker rooms, training rooms, practice space (maybe the Nest will still serve as the practice facility), other amenities that are needed for the logistics of major events (loading docks, concessions, large bathroom facilities, lighting, video boards, typical bells and whistles of a real events center). Maybe this plan include adding some of those bells and whistles to the Well, so maybe this concern will be alleviated as well.

Also agree with the comment on potential FBS movement. Academic administrators don't throw together a hastily put together a major facility renovation plan with significant political ramifications with the student body just because. I think there is something afoot, and if anything this just positions Hornet athletics to be in a prime position for the ever changing conference alignment landscape.

The WELL renovations will include video boards and transferable items from the Nest. Total estimated cost of the retrofit of the Well courts is $5.2M.

That’s great. Only. $5.2 to have a modern facility. Can’t believe this took so long.
The creativity to get this put together is a quality win for president Wood administration and the student body and program. Once this gets wrapped up it will be awesome for Men & Women’s Indoor sports.
Super excited for Football. What a blessing. So long overdue.

In addition, in the ASI resolution for the new additions to The WELL, it is stated that the estimated $5.2 million needed to complete this will not affect student fees.

According to the resolution, Sac State has already raised $353,151 through The Power of 1,000 Hornets campaign

Wood’s proposal includes “install expandable bleachers, lighting, flooring, scoreboards, and a public address sound system to the large basketball courts.”

Also, ASCSUS urged The WELL and University to discuss the feasibility of renovating the 2nd floor for premium boxes.

Per SHP

Not seeing the Well renovation as much of an upgrade other than a newer building. We will still have one of the worst facilities in the Big Sky. How can it compare to the new arena’s at Idaho and Portland State. Not to mention those at Weber and Montana. We deserve an event center with a nice welcoming lobby, good food options, proper restrooms, and a space for alumni and boosters. Having been in the Well I can’t envision those things in 5.2 mil renovation. They will not shut down the Well on game nights so everything will be shared with Students using the facility for other things. Food will probably be a long line to a food truck parked outside and the bathrooms will be shared with students working out or taking classes. I doubt in that budget they can build new locker rooms for men’s and women’s basketball and the volleyball team so those will probably remain at the Nest and because they said intramurals will still be held there the teams will probably only practice at the Nest. We need an event center worthy of the state university in the capital. One that will stand out and help our programs to be successful.

Greenteam said:
Not seeing the Well renovation as much of an upgrade other than a newer building. We will still have one of the worst facilities in the Big Sky. How can it compare to the new arena’s at Idaho and Portland State. Not to mention those at Weber and Montana. We deserve an event center with a nice welcoming lobby, good food options, proper restrooms, and a space for alumni and boosters. Having been in the Well I can’t envision those things in 5.2 mil renovation. They will not shut down the Well on game nights so everything will be shared with Students using the facility for other things. Food will probably be a long line to a food truck parked outside and the bathrooms will be shared with students working out or taking classes. I doubt in that budget they can build new locker rooms for men’s and women’s basketball and the volleyball team so those will probably remain at the Nest and because they said intramurals will still be held there the teams will probably only practice at the Nest. We need an event center worthy of the state university in the capital. One that will stand out and help our programs to be successful.

You are spot on. This is nothing more than a stop gap, bandaid approach. But it is an ‘upgrade’ and I’d rather have a new football facility.

What happened to the $2/day Hornet experience fee mentioned earlier is this post? Trying to do all this with no fee increase with inflation, etc. will result in cut corners.

Latest posts

Back