• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Bruce Barnum

Pounder said:
I would like to know why Alan says what he says...

Viking football got kicked out of publically owned stadium in down town Portland when the City turned it over to Merritt Paulson. To my knowledge no one even objected to the dismissal. So now we play football at a venue twenty miles from campus, with no public transit connection. In our “home” opener last year in Hillsboro we drew 2,354. Out of sight, out of mind.

The Portland State athletic department revenues reported to the NCAA for 2016 were $13,684,434. Of that, $10,518,713 was from a combination of school funds and student fees. Ticket sales totaled $233,989. These are not numbers that would indicate a healthy department.

In 2018 all divisions of NCAA football experienced declining average home attendance: FBS -599, FCS -468, D2 -203, D3 -173.

In 2018 Viking football attracted an average of 3,799 per game. The worst in the Big Sky Conference and have been in decline over last decade. Again, these are not numbers that would indicate a healthy program. In fact three D2 Great Northwest Conference schools out drew PSU in 2018: Central Washington, Azusa Pacific, and Humboldt State. The latter eliminated their program at the end of the season.

A new stadium is possible but I do not believe it is probable. Sadly, PSU football has fallen in to irrelevance in our community and I doubt it can survive for very much longer. The support is just not there.

Alan said:
Pounder said:

Viking football got kicked out of publically owned stadium in down town Portland when the City turned it over to Merritt Paulson. To my knowledge no one even objected to the dismissal. So now we play football at a venue twenty miles from campus, with no public transit connection. In our “home” opener last year in Hillsboro we drew 2,354. Out of sight, out of mind.

The Portland State athletic department revenues reported to the NCAA for 2016 were $13,684,434. Of that, $10,518,713 was from a combination of school funds and student fees. Ticket sales totaled $233,989. These are not numbers that would indicate a healthy department.

In 2018 all divisions of NCAA football experienced declining average home attendance: FBS -599, FCS -468, D2 -203, D3 -173.

In 2018 Viking football attracted an average of 3,799 per game. The worst in the Big Sky Conference and have been in decline over last decade. Again, these are not numbers that would indicate a healthy program. In fact three D2 Great Northwest Conference schools out drew PSU in 2018: Central Washington, Azusa Pacific, and Humboldt State. The latter eliminated their program at the end of the season.

A new stadium is possible but I do not believe it is probable. Sadly, PSU football has fallen in to irrelevance in our community and I doubt it can survive for very much longer. The support is just not there.

Once again, thank you for your support (or lack of it). By the way, how's Monmouth these days?

You do bring up some good numbers, but I think part of the issue was that we thought we were playing our home games at Providence until seven weeks before the season was to begin. Trying to get the word out about the change in home venue was rocky at best. Now, we know where we are playing and while it is clearly not the best option, it is currently the one that works. Everyone in the area knows that we are playing in Hillsboro this season and years to come. No more scrambling at the last minute. Also, I'm sure you've heard my objections to the "Timbers takeover".

However, I do think a new dual-purpose stadium is doable. Since Paulson has basically shunned everyone from playing at Providence, he inadvertently created a need for a football/soccer venue for the PIL, and it makes perfect sense for PSU to jump on it as well. One only has to point to the Pavilion as a perfect example of someone's "wild haired idea" that went from no chance at being built, to a fully functional, classy sports venue. It certainly won't be up tomorrow, but ideas are being thrown about already.

Alan said:

The momentum to erase Portland State football was stronger a few years ago. Why didn't it happen then? I've always guessed that the answer was that, by dropping football, they'd be ushered out of the Big Sky and into, er, well, who knows what. So Portland State hasn't been inclined to drop to D-2, or join the rather unstable WAC (latest: UM-Kansas City is going back to the Summit Conference at this time next year; not that there aren't a couple D-2 schools that may yet make the leap).

Even then, I know the history... and what numbers I don't know can usually be found. "The question" now is what Portland Public Schools thinks of a joint stadium proposal.

Pounder said:
Alan said:

The momentum to erase Portland State football was stronger a few years ago. Why didn't it happen then? I've always guessed that the answer was that, by dropping football, they'd be ushered out of the Big Sky and into, er, well, who knows what. So Portland State hasn't been inclined to drop to D-2, or join the rather unstable WAC (latest: UM-Kansas City is going back to the Summit Conference at this time next year; not that there aren't a couple D-2 schools that may yet make the leap).

Even then, I know the history... and what numbers I don't know can usually be found. "The question" now is what Portland Public Schools thinks of a joint stadium proposal.

I get scared when I agree with you. :D

Just to jump on the WAC, UMKC is out, going to the Summit. Bakersfield is also out, going to the Big West. New Mexico State will be out once they find a conference to take their football program. They do have Dixie State coming in, but they also have the same football issue that NMSU has (Trailblazers could eventually join the Big Sky). Also rumblings have TX-Permian Basin coming in to the WAC for basketball. Chicago State is on life support just waiting for someone to pull the plug. Seems like that conference has a different setup every year.

So what is in the cards? I don't keep up with the Portland press much as an Eastern guy, but Hillsboro seems like a temporary fix. The venue is decent, but getting there is absolutely brutal and I suspect most concession and parking dollars aren't something PSU can control.

There are virtually no options for building something by campus, with the only obvious site being the current facility at Lincoln High. I've never been to a game in that facility, but it looks like it'd need a lot of improvement to host a D1 football game. But for a few million, that could probably be done. I know a "few million" is absurd to a program like Portland State (even with a lot of success on the field, Eastern has gone nowhere for years with a stadium expansion for similar reasons) but at least it provides a working option. I'd have to imagine the games at Hillsboro are pretty much revenue-neutral and aren't making money. While it would take a big front-end investment, some of the money could possibly come from the city if it's dual-use with the area high schools, and it would likely generate a return after a few years.

I'd love to see other Big Sky programs get their act together, even if it just makes Eastern look that much more lame for not handling our own issues.

bigskyconf said:
Alan said:
Pounder said:

Once again, thank you for your support (or lack of it). By the way, how's Monmouth these days?

You do bring up some good numbers, but I think part of the issue was that we thought we were playing our home games at Providence until seven weeks before the season was to begin. Trying to get the word out about the change in home venue was rocky at best. Now, we know where we are playing and while it is clearly not the best option, it is currently the one that works. Everyone in the area knows that we are playing in Hillsboro this season and years to come. No more scrambling at the last minute. Also, I'm sure you've heard my objections to the "Timbers takeover".

However, I do think a new dual-purpose stadium is doable. Since Paulson has basically shunned everyone from playing at Providence, he inadvertently created a need for a football/soccer venue for the PIL, and it makes perfect sense for PSU to jump on it as well. One only has to point to the Pavilion as a perfect example of someone's "wild haired idea" that went from no chance at being built, to a fully functional, classy sports venue. It certainly won't be up tomorrow, but ideas are being thrown about already.

I expect Monmouth is beginning its usual pleasant summer. The students should have left by now and it will be a few weeks before Summer Session starts. I hope to get down there for a game or two this fall.

As to my lack of support, I simply don’t believe in unwarranted optimism and I see nothing about which to be optimistic in regards to Viking football.

I have a story to tell. Last week I went to go to Corvallis to visit an ailing friend. On my way back out to I-5 for the trip back to Portland I spied a billboard between Corvallis and Tangent. It was advertising George Fox football. Amazing! Have you seen a billboard anywhere in Oregon advertising Portland State football?

Here is the real problem. I think George Fox cares about its program. I think Linfield, Pacific, and Western Oregon also care about their programs. I don’t think Portland State cares about its program at all. If it did it would have fought our gradual eviction from Merritt Paulson’s stadium. It would have made life difficult for him and called in the University’s power and stature with the City to see that it didn’t happen. But no, not a word. We just mosey on out of town.

If the University doesn’t care about the program, why should the rest of the Community. And, if the University and the Community don’t care about the program maybe the money spent on it should be used elsewhere.

Alan said:
Have you seen a billboard anywhere in Oregon advertising Portland State football?

Well, I haven't seen one yet this year. Last year I saw one at I-405 and the Sunset (which is on campus), one out in Hillsboro, and one on 82nd by PDX. All three listed our home games and made mention that we were playing in Hillsboro.

Sorry you don't think you can support us. Makes me wonder why you are still here.

I'll save you a seat on the bandwagon when we make the playoffs this year. :thumb:

bigskyconf said:
Sorry you don't think you can support us. Makes me wonder why you are still here.

I'll save you a seat on the bandwagon when we make the playoffs this year. :thumb:

Well, it is so good to know the Vikings will make the playoffs this year, and from your previous post, that a new downtown stadium for PSU is "doable."

I guess all is truly well and good for Viking football!

Better?

Alan said:
bigskyconf said:

Well, it is so good to know the Vikings will make the playoffs this year, and from your previous post, that a new downtown stadium for PSU is "doable."

I guess all is truly well and good for Viking football!

Better?

Rose colored glasses on sale at Freddie's. With them you can see...

1. Ducks winning the FBS championship
2. Viks winning the FCS championship
3. Blazers winning the NBA championship.
4. WOU winning the DII championship.
5. SOU and EOU making it to the NAIA championship.

:nod: :thumb:

:lol:

Weekly Portland State Football Update with Bruce Barnum

https://post.futurimedia.com/kpojam/playlist/15/listen-3078.html?cb=1567639290.976487

Mike Lund
@mikelund65

@CoachBarnum69 and @johncanzanobft talked @psuviksFB and soooooo much more today. For the (lengthy) interview, click here and scroll down to podcasts. #GoViks

https://750thegame.com/shows/bald-faced-truth-w-john-canzano/

Vikings Football With Bruce Barnum: Home Opener!

Portland State hosts its first home game of the season this Saturday at Hillsboro Stadium when the Vikings take on Division II Simon Fraser. Head Coach Bruce Barnum took the time to talk about his team's strong performance at Arkansas, as well as preview this week's home game.

https://goviks.com/news/2019/9/4/viking-football-with-bruce-barnumaspx.aspx

Vikings Football With Bruce Barnum: Boise State

https://goviks.com/news/2019/9/11/vikings-football-with-bruce-barnum-boise-state.aspx

Chatting it up with Portland State Head Football Coach Bruce Barnum

Portland State Head Football Coach Bruce Barnum joined the Rip City Drive with Travis and Chad. He discussed his team's recent win. However, the conversation shifts from football to Dot's Pretzels to alligators.

https://ripcityradio.iheart.com/content/2019-09-25-chatting-it-up-with-portland-state-head-football-coach-bruce-barnum/

forestgreen said:
Chatting it up with Portland State Head Football Coach Bruce Barnum

Portland State Head Football Coach Bruce Barnum joined the Rip City Drive with Travis and Chad. He discussed his team's recent win. However, the conversation shifts from football to Dot's Pretzels to alligators.

https://ripcityradio.iheart.com/content/2019-09-25-chatting-it-up-with-portland-state-head-football-coach-bruce-barnum/

I can only imagine what the topic will be when he talks to Canzano tomorrow. Hopefully, they will spend a little time on the game.

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1177689470029594624

John Edwards – 4:10
Travis Lulay – 19:23
Jay Hill – 40:20
Tim Walsh – 57:46
Dan Hawkins – 1:17:23
Bruce Barnum – 1:28:42
Andrew Houghton, Idaho State Journal – 1:53:33

Since the beginning of the 2016 football season Mr. Barnum's Vikings have a record of 5 wins and 29 losses against Division 1 programs. During the same period attendance at PSU home games has fallen steadily from 4,590 in 2016 to a current average of 3,265 in 2019. During the same period our games were moved from downtown's Providence Park to high school stadium 20 miles from campus; and, we lost radio coverage of our games. PSU football was once a proud program. It has fallen on very hard and troubling times.

Massey says we have two more wins this season, Southern Utah this coming Saturday in the 'burbs and at Northern Colorado in week eight: https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=6302&s=308075

Is Barnum’s contract up after this year? I know he got a 5 year deal in 2015, but wasn’t clear if that started in ‘15 or ‘16. If his deal is up at the end of this year and he’s anything less than 4-4 in league it’s 100% time to move on given the results he’s gotten.

Grant H said:
Is Barnum’s contract up after this year? I know he got a 5 year deal in 2015, but wasn’t clear if that started in ‘15 or ‘16. If his deal is up at the end of this year and he’s anything less than 4-4 in league it’s 100% time to move on given the results he’s gotten.

I believe he long past his pull date. One great season then nothing.

Grant H said:

I had heard that he is signed through 2020, so next season?

Latest posts

Back