• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Aggie Stadium to Install Lights

Glad to see your still alive and still more worried about the Aggies than your own nest, or is that your hive? I just got out my can of Raid and it's not for flies on the manure pile.

I am glad your new site is faster than your old site - sacbuzz was taking a minute to show up up and then it finally died. Do you have a date on your side of the river for the Causeway Classic yet? Our schedule is not going to be released until late January.

GoAgs72 said:
Glad to see your still alive and still more worried about the Aggies than your own nest, or is that your hive? I just got out my can of Raid and it's not for flies on the manure pile.

I am glad your new site is faster than your old site - sacbuzz was taking a minute to show up up and then it finally died. Do you have a date on your side of the river for the Causeway Classic yet? Our schedule is not going to be released until late January.

No can do, Aggie. Unfortunately, we're not even being told when the schedule will be released. However, I would suspect that whatever the date, it will either be in Davis or at Hughes.

The best I can do is provide Causeway dates (some are not "officially" Causeway) for the winter and spring sports:

MBB: 3/1 @ UCD 7:05
WBB: 11/11 @ UCD (Aggies win blowout 68-39)
Baseball: 3/9 @ Sac 2 PM, 4/1 @ Sac 2 PM, 5/13 @ UCD 2:30 PM
Softball: 2/24 @ UCD (DH) 1 PM
M Tennis: 2/23 @ Sac 1 PM
W Tennis: 2/2 @ Sac TBA
Track: 4/19 Woody Wilson Invite @ UCD All Day; 4/25 Causeway Classic @ UCD TBA, 5/10 Aggie Twilight TBA
Gymnastics: 3/7 UCD/Cal/Seattle Pacific @ Sac 7 PM, 3/23 Sac/Stanford/San Jose State @ UCD TBA

Forget the lights, when are they going to install more seating? They are totally unprepared to host the Causeway. As I understand it the new stadium holds no more than Toomey and that sucks. Both teams this year were down and the game still drew over 13,000 at Hornet. I know that we will be a lot better next season and I expect the Aggies will be as well, 11,000 or 12,000 seats is not enough. Back in the 80s this game often drew over 20,000 at Hughes and Hornet. If Davis don't have the capacity in their stadium they should rent Hughes.

Welcome to the board, GL. We're always glad to get a new opinion.

The Manure Pile may well be banking on a more "intimate" atmosphere to beat us. They can likely make up the lost revenue by jacking up ticket prices. They can also go back to their old Toomey cheating ways at the new stadium and strategically place manure outside the visitors' locker room as they did in the late '90s. It would be harder for them to get away with that at Hughes.

In more serious terms, however, the game would be safer if held in Davis. I wouldn't want to take my family into the neighborhood around Hughes, and I'm sure that there are many that share that opinion. Besides, why should a great D-I game be held in a JC stadium?

I have no problem with the game at Hughes. It means I have don't have to travel to the People's Republic for the game...though I do want to see their new stadium in person.

Nothing wrong with Hughes, a good place to watch a game, it seats about 25,000 so everyone can at least see the game without being turned away. And why hold a "great division 1 game" in a JC stadium? Because the "division 1" stadium in question seats under 12,000. Besides possibly Cal Poly what other "division 1 stadium" is that small? Is there any stadiums in the Big Sky that small?

Green Laser said:
Is there any stadiums in the Big Sky that small?

EWU ~ 8K
UNC ~ 8K
ISU ~ 12K

If held at Hughes, use light rail or have chartered buses to remote parking. Won't happen though, the new Ag stadium has a rug and Hughes has grass. That would be a distinct 'home field' advantage for the Hornets. Depending on early rain, that field turns into a mess.

I agree that Davis would not relocate the game to Hughes. They are the ones that had the series removed from Hughes when it was a neutral venue for the Causeway, even though they were the host every other year. I am just saying that if the game is to grow into a major division 1 and a game of regional interest it can't happen if one school cannot handle all of the fans that want to attend. Hughes really is not that bad. Aside from the light rail they have a new parking structure so all parking in on site. Also the field is in far better shape than in the old days because few if any high school games are played there anymore, Sac City Football is basically the only user.

Yeah, but I saw video late in the year of an SCC game at Hughes and the field was in just as bad of shape as it has been in the past. They need to put in new sod and let the roots take. I think the problem they still have is that the roots have been withered away after years of heavy use on the field. If Davis is serious about an expansion of seats to Aggie Stadium, then there is no need to move it to Hughes...unless you make it a neutral site game every year...ala The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party in Jacksonville (Georgia/Florida).

I really hope that they do increase the seating before the Causeway. The neutral site idea is a good one however, it gives the game more regional importance. You mentioned Florida/ Georgia, Texas/ Oklahoma also meet in Dallas every year.
I remember back in the 80s (86-87?) they made it a Causeway Weekend with the basketball teams meeting at Arco on Friday night and the football teams at Hughes on Saturday. It seemed to create a lot more regional interest for both schools. Davis pulled the plug on that after they lost a few at Hughes and retreated back to Toomey, so realistically I don't see that coming back. Unless they expand to at least 15,000 I don't intend to attend the Causeway in Davis. They have never alloted enough tickets for the visitors. The last time I went to Davis for the Causeway they were sold out and I had to try to watch the game from the top of the parking structure! I would rather stay home open a brew and listen to us win on the radio!

The game's definitely staying in Davis now that we have a new stadium. It'll be tough for a while until we expand. It'll be interesting to see where they put you guys, as visitors this year were next to the students, which I don't think is a good idea for Causeway. Last time at Hughes almost got ugly

Latest posts

Back