• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

A.D. Candidates

Beardown

I can only possibly think of three at the moment. One is probably the only realistic chance.

Rocko Deluca: He's on the staff at UMass. He's a Greeley native and received a MA from UNC. He worked at CU for a while with fundraising. Click on the link on UMass website and you'll see he's got a great resume. I think he would be perfect. Lack of experience for certain, but his fundraising skills look impressive, and he knows Greeley and UNC.
http://www.umassathletics.com/school-bio/deluca_rocko.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Bohn: I doubt this will happen, but who knows? I think he got screwed by CU. He's coaching selections were hit and miss, just like Hinrichs.

Jim O'Day. Former Montana AD. He was a candidate in 2004, but instead Hinrichs was hired. He's working at some firm in Montana and was fired a year and a half ago when all shit hit the fan in Missoula. Not entirely sure if it was his fault though. He knows the Big Sky very well, and has great fundraising skills.
http://www.gogriz.com/genrel/oday_jim00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The biggest two things in finding an A.D. is his fundraising skills and his ability to hire good coaches. I would love to have Deluca on board. I think he's a candidate at CU, so if the Buffs pass, we should do everything we can to get him at UNC.

I am withholding all comments on the situation other than to provide information that can be added. Now that that's out of the way:

O'Day was one of the five finalists to interview at UNC when Jay was hired.

O'Day was fired for cause and there's still a pretty big cloud over that situation. Kay does not spend time considering people with baggage - such as some of the football coach candidates over the last few years. The notion that the president, any president can be the interim AD is a complete joke. I predict that she appoints someone from her inner circle - someone with as much experience in athletics as herself.

BearCub said:
O'Day was fired for cause and there's still a pretty big cloud over that situation. Kay does not spend time considering people with baggage - such as some of the football coach candidates over the last few years. The notion that the president, any president can be the interim AD is a complete joke. I predict that she appoints someone from her inner circle - someone with as much experience in athletics as herself.

I agree. I just want more information. Troy or someone from the Tribune needs to do more investigating.

Not much to look into for the moment, because everything at Carter Hall is locked down tight. Trust me, I'm looking, but the silence is ringing...

bearsradio said:
Not much to look into for the moment, because everything at Carter Hall is locked down tight. Trust me, I'm looking, but the silence is ringing...

That's disturbing.

Brian said:
bearsradio said:

That's disturbing.

Yeah, it's the secrecy that is not okay with me. The Trib today mentioned the process could take well into the new year. That's fine with me if we get the right guy, but there needs to be more transparency.

Beardown said:
Brian said:
bearsradio said:

That's disturbing.

Yeah, it's the secrecy that is not okay with me. The Trib today mentioned the process could take well into the new year. That's fine with me if we get the right guy, but there needs to be more transparency.

The new year as in the new school year or like 2014?

Blofeld said:
Beardown said:
Brian said:
bearsradio said:

That's disturbing.

The new year as in the new school year or like 2014?

I believe so

http://www.greeleytribune.com/sports/7062417-113/athletic-director-serve-athletics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two words: Shit Show

This thing is falling apart before our very eyes. Kay's minion is running the day to day - will probably be installed officially in 6 months. Development is responsible for sponsorships and the University's Marking arm is responsible for Marketing and Sales. This is micromanagement to the Nth degree. Kay and her cabinet have never understood what it takes to run an athletic department. No one with the experience/skills to be the next AD will want to take over a department that is micromanaged like this!

Dark days ahead.

BearCub said:
http://www.greeleytribune.com/sports/7062417-113/athletic-director-serve-athletics

Two words: Shit Show

This thing is falling apart before our very eyes. Kay's minion is running the day to day - will probably be installed officially in 6 months. Development is responsible for sponsorships and the University's Marking arm is responsible for Marketing and Sales. This is micromanagement to the Nth degree. Kay and her cabinet have never understood what it takes to run an athletic department. No one with the experience/skills to be the next AD will want to take over a department that is micromanaged like this!

Dark days ahead.
Couldn't agree more. What a cluster fuck.

It's been quite a while since I've been on here, but I'm sure a couple of you, the ones that haven't died anyway, probably remember how much I "liked" Hinrichs. So, my question is why was he fired? Besides being a tool, did he finally piss off enough people that Kay said, "Enough is enough." ?

Ursa Major said:
It's been quite a while since I've been on here, but I'm sure a couple of you, the ones that haven't died anyway, probably remember how much I "liked" Hinrichs. So, my question is why was he fired? Besides being a tool, did he finally piss off enough people that Kay said, "Enough is enough." ?

Not sure the reasons, but it was a mutual decision on both parties to move on.

Beardown said:
Ursa Major said:

Not sure the reasons, but it was a mutual decision on both parties to move on.

So no word to the contrary? You would think that he had something else in place if he had made a voluntary decision to leave?

Latest posts

Back