• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2023-24 MBB Season

Greenteam said:
If they are not able to cut down the turnovers and improve the defense it will be a challenging season. Will be interesting to see if Davis begins the game in a press. We were in total control at halftime last year and then Davis came out in a press and ran away with the game. I think this years team will also struggle if teams choose to pressure and trap the ball. We should have some size advantages vs Davis and I would like to see us explore that rather than cast threes. I think Powell needs to get more shots. He is a tough matchup and only had five attempts today.

This is a young team but I didn't think the season would devolve into a throw away season. With the Nest excuse being officially gone, DP needs to find away to generate some hope for the future.

HeavyistheClown said:
movielover said:
Hornets open 1-5, ouch. Can the well-traveled former assistant coach - and now HC - lead a team?

Appears not. Same with the women’s team.

What WBB is going through is nowhere near the same as MBB. Campbell was poached and the 3 best players from last years BSC Championship roster hit the portal. Most of Campbells recruits still came so Coach Kallhoff is in rebuild mode with a young team but he desperately needs to bring in an athletic guard that can score. Some of the young players look promising.

IMO there's no excuse for MBB to be sucking this bad. Coach DP turned over the roster so these are all his guys. Yes there is quite a bit of youth but the same problems (turnovers, lack of in-game adjustments, predictable game plan/sets, trouble with the press) still persist. That's a coaching problem. Can't lose neutral floor games against comparable programs they way this team has (blowing 2nd half leads). There is still time for DP to turn it around this season, but with the Nest 2.0 on the way, things need to turn around.

Coach DP doesn't have one assistant coach on his staff who has recruited heavily in California, and knows Sacramento and the campus. (One coach worked for years for the Oakland Soldiers.)

Can they contain Pepper, or shut everybody else down?

movielover said:
Coach DP doesn't have one assistant coach on his staff who has recruited heavily in California, and knows Sacramento and the campus. (One coach worked for years for the Oakland Soldiers.)

Looks like they can and did.....been a bad couple days for you huh?

peegeepee said:
movielover said:

Looks like they can and did.....been a bad couple days for you huh?

Fitting that Coach DP's 1st D1 win of the year came in the Causeway. Hell, it's still football season on this side of the Causeway. :rofl:

69-63 Hornet win in the Causeway. Four Hornets get into double digits while only 2 players from the other team did anything meaningful. Duncan Powell (19 pts, 6 reb, 4 ast) led the Hornets in scoring with Brandon Betson (16 pts), Akol Mawein (12 pts, 6 reb), and Zee Hamoda (11 pts, 4 reb) also scored in double digits. Hamoda hit a clutch 3 late to seal the game. Big win tonight on their court. :cool:

16 turnovers in the first half. Only 6 in second half made big difference. Mawein had his best game of the year and getting the ball into Powell in the post was key. Almost gave up a seven point lead with two minutes to go. Had trouble getting the ball in against full court press and three bad possessions. Fortunately pulled it out. Davis does not look very deep and for some reason Jim Les cannot recruit big players. We always seem to have a size advantage and this year they could not matchup with Powell and Mawein inside. That being said they will probably do ok in the Big West. We should be in that conference.

I think Mawein has got to get the majority of the minutes at the 5, spell him with Beatty...Use Holt as a back-up at the 4 or 5...We need Mawein to take some of the attention off of Duncan...Yesterday Mawein got open looks when Davis doubled Duncan...Duncan is a good passer out of the double so that opens up options all over the floor....We need someone to be able to take it to the hole and either dish, pass it out for a three or finish strong...I think Adams (whenever he can come back?) is that guy....Could be interesting if they play like yesterday....

Greenteam said:
We should be in that conference.

Logistically yes, but it is a non-athletic focused commuter school or foreign student focused conference. No ambition, no administrative support, no vision. No dice.

Great to see a road win vs the dungpilers. Surprised they didnt have protesters gluing themselves to the court because bball uses a leather ball.

peegeepee said:
I think Mawein has got to get the majority of the minutes at the 5, spell him with Beatty...Use Holt as a back-up at the 4 or 5...We need Mawein to take some of the attention off of Duncan...Yesterday Mawein got open looks when Davis doubled Duncan...Duncan is a good passer out of the double so that opens up options all over the floor....We need someone to be able to take it to the hole and either dish, pass it out for a three or finish strong...I think Adams (whenever he can come back?) is that guy....Could be interesting if they play like yesterday....

Mawein had been on a minute limit as he was hurt in the preseason and was still getting healthy/back in shape.

We have a few projects on the roster that show some potential in practices.

We are building with the international pieces and filling in the competitive "now" pieces from the portal. We can't judge based on year one or two -- this was a 4 year plan at the start.

stingthemgood said:
peegeepee said:

Mawein had been on a minute limit as he was hurt in the preseason and was still getting healthy/back in shape.

We have a few projects on the roster that show some potential in practices.

We are building with the international pieces and filling in the competitive "now" pieces from the portal. We can't judge based on year one or two -- this was a 4 year plan at the start.

Would love to see Dioramma get some play but it looks like a red shirt for him this year..I still think Nunn can be a good point guard as he has shown in the NBL in Australia...I think Wilson burned his red shirt since he has played in 2 games already, other than those, Vaughn and KK are the only ones who haven't played but I don't know if they have a red shirt available...

Amazingly the meddling Hornets (5-11, 1-2 BSC) knocked off Weber State (11-5, 2-1 BSC) in the Nest and handed the Wildcats their first BSC loss of the season with a 71-69 win. Hornets played well wire to wire and controlled the tempo for most of the game. Emil Skytta (14 pts, 5 ast, 4 reb) did an excellent job running the point tonight and continued to build off of a solid last few games. Duncan Powell (19 pts, 8 reb) led the Hornets in scoring and Zee Hamoda (14 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast) had a late surge in the game that kept the Hornets on top.

A very solid team effort tonight and a marquee win for Coach Patrick and this program. This win could be a major turning point in the season and serve as a big stepping stone for this team to build off of. Weber came in with an RPI of 90, which makes this the highest RPI ranked team the Hornets have ever beaten in program history. Well done.

Great to get two home wins. The Hornets eliminated some of the bad turnovers and finally played to their strength by jacking up fewer ill advised threes and using their size advantage in these two games. Defense can improve as both opponents shot over 50%. Hamoda had two solid offensive games and made some key end of the shot clock baskets. Weber looked over ranked, losing also to Portland State this weekend. They had trouble with our size. At this point Eastern Washington looks like the favorite. Still lots of games left.

Well, since the 2 game, home winning streak, this team does not seem to know how to win....can't keep a lead when they get one, fall too far behind in the first half, seem to not use their advantage in height, etc, etc.....What happened to Betson? Even though he was taking questionable shots and turning the ball over too much, he was a good scoring point guard....Duncan can't seem to get the ball in position any more....No plays designed for Patterson to catch and shoot like the Griz use Moody....Gotta be more variety on the offensive end, it all looks the same over and over....Spacing is terrible and no movement....We are the worst team in the BSC without a doubt....Decent talent with no plan...

Peegeepee you hit it on the head. This team looks like it has no plan and has been getting worse as the season progresses. Powell is the best player and they can’t devise a play to get him the ball on the block. For two years the defense has been poor and the offense ineffective. If you take away the two non D1 wins this year the Hornets are being out scored 72-63. Turnovers have been a problem all season and the team can’t seem to come up with a solution. Out of 362 D1 teams only 13 teams commit more than the Hornets 15 turnovers. The new coaches were touted for their potential ability to recruit but they have limited coaching experience and the recruits have not panned out. Montana State and Idaho brought in new coaching staffs and pretty much brand new rosters and looked much more cohesive and talented. For the last two seasons our opponents play harder. Our touted recruits the last two years, Hunt and Mawein last year and Betson and Holt this year have been misses. Some of this year’s Freshman look like role players in the Big Sky if they can improve. Going back to the beginning of last February the Hornets are 6-25 in D1 games. Hopefully Powell will not transfer after the season. To be better next season the Hornets need to find some impactful transfers and the coaching needs to improve. On top of that Idaho and Portland State were able to get new arenas built and I don’t think pull out bleachers in the Well is going to move the needle. The connection with the Sacramento community appears to have been lost the last two years based on attendance and the students disinterested. In game marketing non existent. If there was 707 at the game last night they must have counted the players, the CSUS employees, and the elementary age dancers at half time. Sad to to see how fast Hornet basketball has declined in just two seasons. Wishful for a turnaround but skeptical without changes.

Hornet hoops was on the decline well before DP and his staff arrived, hence the decision to go in a new direction. That said, I agree with the sentiment of the prior posts as things aren't trending well for this program. It's only a season and a half into DP's era and he and his staff are outcoached pretty much every game, and it's pretty obvious no one on this staff has a clue on how to turn things around.

I thought those 2 BSC wins (now clear flukes) would give this program a little bit of momentum, but I was wrong. I was also wrong in thinking that a coach with decent recruiting chops would be able to generate a more competitive program in a league as bad as the BSC. The product on the court this season is just not watchable.

I won't go as far as labeling DP and this staff as a total bust yet, but if things aren't trending in a positive direction by this time next season, I think we can write off the remainder of the DP era. DP needs to land a guard that can score (Betson is a headcase and was not the answer), which will cure a lot of ailments on the offensive side. The Well might give this program a slight boost for next season, but it's not going to help DP and his staff with their deficient game prep and game planning.

16 pts in a half, 46 overall. This HC doesn’t have a clue on how to coach. Cut bait now and move on. This laughingstock program can’t keep being pile driven into oblivion. What an utter waste of time. Orr for the swing and miss.

Latest posts

Back