• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2023-24 MBB Season

HeavyistheClown said:
16 pts in a half, 46 overall. This HC doesn’t have a clue on how to coach. Cut bait now and move on. This laughingstock program can’t keep being pile driven into oblivion. What an utter waste of time. Orr for the swing and miss.

Last night was a total sh|t show. DP can recruit, but that’s it? I have never seen a turnover machine the likes of Hamoda in my life. Ooooof…

Kadeezy said:
HeavyistheClown said:
16 pts in a half, 46 overall. This HC doesn’t have a clue on how to coach. Cut bait now and move on. This laughingstock program can’t keep being pile driven into oblivion. What an utter waste of time. Orr for the swing and miss.

Last night was a total sh|t show. DP can recruit, but that’s it? I have never seen a turnover machine the likes of Hamoda in my life. Ooooof…

Hornets and UOP really struggling. Hornets losing a lot of close games, and the blowouts. This coach typically moves around a lot, never stays anywhere very long. Can he ride out the storm and still recruit?

Laird 2-0 vs his replacement.

Sac State 6-18, 2-9 (last place)
Dungpile 15-8, 10-2 (2nd place)

Dpile looks to now possibly have 4 scorers.

Maybe all the assistant coaches can shave their beards.

movielover said:
SDHornet said:
And yet the Hornets won the head to head...in your barn. :coffee:

True. But how tough will it be for DP to recruit if he finishes in last place?

Probably no different from when he had to recruit into the craptastic situation that Laird left the program in.

Kadeezy said:
DP can recruit

Define.

Getting a kid from the British Commonwealth doesn’t make the kid a good player, nor the HC a good recruiter.

We need a HC who is a good recruiter of successful players and a good coach of them on the court.

If these were good recruits they would be scoring more than 16pts a quarter irregardless of who the HC is.

Bad HC and bad players equals 16pts. Or leading by seven at half and losing by ten.

Same with the women’s team, wtf happened there? Possibly two of the worst HC’s in any sport ever at Sac State.

HeavyistheClown said:
Kadeezy said:
DP can recruit

Define.

Getting a kid from the British Commonwealth doesn’t make the kid a good player, nor the HC a good recruiter.

We need a HC who is a good recruiter of successful players and a good coach of them on the court.

If these were good recruits they would be scoring more than 16pts a quarter irregardless of who the HC is.

Bad HC and bad players equals 16pts. Or leading by seven at half and losing by ten.

Same with the women’s team, wtf happened there? Possibly two of the worst HC’s in any sport ever at Sac State.

Tom Abatemarco, Don Newman, and Dan Muscatell would like a word... :lol:

DP has brought in some highly RANKED recruits, but can't seem to get results on the floor. We're only in year two, but it hasn't been fun watching sloppy basketball with a bunch of dudes that have free throw yips....

HeavyistheClown said:
Kadeezy said:
DP can recruit

Define.

DP can recruit, but he needs to develop the talent and coach them to be successful.  But but your point, this team needing a scorer is correct. There is talent on this roster, the coaches just don't put it in the best position to win. There is a lot of youth on the roster, and as we're seeing now it takes time to develop. The whiff on Betson and injury to Adams forced DP to use true freshman Skytta to run the point. DP has not used Patterson well at all on the outside to open things up inside for Holt and Powell. Powell has proven he can be a force down low. Mawein has been a disappointment on the season, I expected more out of the senior. Hamoda is a streakly player and Beatty has a ways to come as he is only a freshman. Everyone except Mawein has eligibility remaining following this season.

DP doesn't get a pass at all and the criticism is valid, but we'll know by this time next season if there is any reason to hold out hope things can get turned around. The biggest concern is just how poorly this team is coached in game and how turnover prone these players are. That's all on DP and this staff and it needs to get rectified.

Your assessment of WBB is way off though as the situation with WBB and first year Head Coach Kallhoff is completely different. WBB is in a total rebuild as the old staff left for a bigger paycheck and the best 3 returning players hit the portal. 2 of those players (Natabou and Peneueta) would have been locks for all-BSC selections and the 3rd (Olivares) likely getting consideration as well. All three players would have been the focal point of the team this season With Natabou dominating inside, Peneueta crushing it from the outside and Olivares running the point. 

With the exception of Olivares at Bako (2nd leading scorer on a below average team), neither of the other players are doing anything notable at their respective programs. At Iowa State, Natabou has only seen a third of her minutes from a season ago and is only producing a small fraction of what she did while at Sac as she has been relegated to backing up a freshman. Peneueta is not even an afterthought (7 appearances) at top ranked NC State and she has no notable stats on the season. In hindsight, the decision to leave by all 3 of those players appears to be the wrong one.

This season's WBB lineup is all freshman and sophomores with the exception of the lone senior in Amusan. WBB has won 3 of the last 4 and players like Versteeg and Hanson (possible BSC freshman of the year) have displayed tremendous upside and will be the focal points of this team in the coming years. Alongside those two, Orio and Falk have made strides as well. Coach Kalhoff will need to bring in some talent to play and develop alongside those key returners, but based off of the last few weeks it looks like the players have bought into Kalhoff's system and are finding their stride. At a minimum, the WBB team certainly hasn't quit in games like MBB has.

The jury is still out on both of these coaches, with DP having the shorter rope than Kallhoff.

Year ........ Coach ..... Records

2023-24 ... Patrick ..... 6-19, 2-10* - 10th **
2022-23 ... Patrick ....14-18, 7-11 - 6th
2021-22 ... Laird ....... 11-18, 6-14 - T 8th
2020-21 ... Katz ...... ... 8-12, 5-9 - ..9th place
2019-20 ... Katz .........16-14, 8-13 - T 8th

FWIW, Coach Laird closed the season winning 5 of 7.

** - in progress

The men’s team has a long way to go. Last weeks game at Idaho State was probably their worst game in 15-20 years. Fortunately Idaho State committed a foul in the last minute to allow the Hornets to break 40 points. Team had no fight. Played like they wanted the season to be over. Embarrassing game. I think the Hornets are 6-27 since last February. Laird left the team in a “craptastic situation “. Two of the three best players last year were starters on Laird’s team. Without them Patrick does not win as many games last season. Then he fails to retain Wilbon who starts for a team that beats the Hornets this season. He fails to retain Greene who is averaging 14 points for another D1 team and Holley who is tearing it up at one of the top JC’s in California. Both would be an improvement over the guards on the team this year. Theo Seng has started half the games for Sun Belt leader Troy, which is ranked higher than all Big Sky teams other than EW. Add to that Akili Evans, who was injured early in Laird’s season, was signed by Austin Peay which is ranked 90 spots ahead of the Hornets. Unlike Patrick, Laird had no opportunity to recruit. Unlike Patrick his team battled thru a heavily Covid impacted season, finished strong and won a Big Sky tournament game. Unlike Patrick, he, and Coach Katz the last few seasons received little to no support from the administration. I have no doubt the Hornets would be in a better spot had they given Laird the job, and the support they gave to Patrick. But that is water under the bridge. Wish no Ill will to Patrick. Just don’t think he has proven to be the recruiter we had hoped and he lacks coaching experience. With the exception of Powell, whom he has decided not to start the last two games, this team has very little talent and I can’t see a future all league player on the roster. I hope the players can rally and make the games a little more competitive for the rest of the season. Difficult to watch right now.

Greenteam said:
The men’s team has a long way to go. Last weeks game at Idaho State was probably their worst game in 15-20 years. Fortunately Idaho State committed a foul in the last minute to allow the Hornets to break 40 points. Team had no fight. Played like they wanted the season to be over. Embarrassing game. I think the Hornets are 6-27 since last February. Laird left the team in a “craptastic situation “. Two of the three best players last year were starters on Laird’s team. Without them Patrick does not win as many games last season. Then he fails to retain Wilbon who starts for a team that beats the Hornets this season. He fails to retain Greene who is averaging 14 points for another D1 team and Holley who is tearing it up at one of the top JC’s in California. Both would be an improvement over the guards on the team this year. Theo Seng has started half the games for Sun Belt leader Troy, which is ranked higher than all Big Sky teams other than EW. Add to that Akili Evans, who was injured early in Laird’s season, was signed by Austin Peay which is ranked 90 spots ahead of the Hornets. Unlike Patrick, Laird had no opportunity to recruit. Unlike Patrick his team battled thru a heavily Covid impacted season, finished strong and won a Big Sky tournament game. Unlike Patrick, he, and Coach Katz the last few seasons received little to no support from the administration. I have no doubt the Hornets would be in a better spot had they given Laird the job, and the support they gave to Patrick. But that is water under the bridge. Wish no Ill will to Patrick. Just don’t think he has proven to be the recruiter we had hoped and he lacks coaching experience. With the exception of Powell, whom he has decided not to start the last two games, this team has very little talent and I can’t see a future all league player on the roster. I hope the players can rally and make the games a little more competitive for the rest of the season. Difficult to watch right now.

I agree with everything except the "Laird had no opportunity to recruit" statement...Laird was one of the lead recruiters for Katz for over a decade before assuming the reins...He definitely had a piece of every athlete he had in '21-'22...

Katz had the final call on which players received scholarships. I think Laird would have put a little different twist going forward. Neither one of them had the benefit of the transfer rules that Patrick has. The recruiting their last few seasons was greatly hampered by the Covid restrictions. After the Big Sky Tournament was cancelled with the Hornets eligible for a post season tournament the Hornets were on an upward trajectory but Covid derailed that. Without the pandemic the program would be in a lot better place. I do believe if Laird had been given the opportunity the Hornets would be much better this season. I also believe the free for all transfer rules and the NIL are going to make things tough on the Big Sky teams who will struggle to recruit good players and keep them. I also feel a move to the Big West would benefit the Hornets.

DP and the Hornets bounce Idaho and Laird from the BSCT with a 72-64 win in the first round. Where the Laird fanbois at? :rofl:

Kallhoff and the Hornets route Idaho State with a 28-9 4th quarter for a 73-55 win in the first round of the BSCT.

Why the dig at Laird? Idaho had a more consistent season and beat the Hornets twice. I think with their new coaching staff and new arena they are on the upswing. No reason we can’t root for former coaches and players and the current ones.

Greenteam said:
Why the dig at Laird? Idaho had a more consistent season and beat the Hornets twice. I think with their new coaching staff and new arena they are on the upswing. No reason we can’t root for former coaches and players and the current ones.

Wasn't a dig at Laird, was a dig at the people with the notion that he should still be HC that keep posting about that almost 2 years after this program went in a different direction.

Latest posts

Back