• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Wildcats > 4th & 6th in polls

AlumniWSU

The preseason polls show Wildcats picked as 4th place (coaches), 6th place (media)...Montana State unanimous 1st place, UC Davis, Idaho as runner-ups. Wildcat Winston Reid as preseason BSC defensive MVP!

Getting excited to see the new versions...of Wildcats & Stewart Stadium! :coffee:

It's a little over a month away, but yes, the interest is starting to rise. The coaches pole has some merit, but are really just WAGs. The media pole is nothing more than what media showed up at the event. I don't think there was even one media representative from Utah in attendance. The important things that happen at these events are the coaches meetings and player meetings. in those meetings they discuss rules implimentation and points of emphasis for the upcoming season. They want the coaches and players to know what the officials are being told to watch out for and what the efforts may be to resolve any issues from the previous season.

This year's home schedule includes 3 of the top 5 teams in the BSC. Our road schedule includes most of the bottom teams. If we take care of business at home we will win the championship. It's that simple. Our first league game is Montana State, the unanimous choice for first place. That will be a huge game in deciding who we really are. :coffee:

I like the FBS pickups that should help bolster the lines. I don’t read much into polls. Northern Iowa and Montana State are big games upfront. I think Coach Mental is capable of building on the progress Coach Hill made. I’m cautiously optimistic.

I’m concerned the defense and special teams won’t maintain the level of play we became accustomed to in the Hill era. We return a lot of familiar faces from last year but we lost an elite coach and now Mental will have to delegate more responsibility offensively as he takes on head coaching duties. I’m not sure it’s reasonable to expect the team to pick up where they left off when a coach like Jay Hill leaves and isn’t really replaced.

I think 4th place is the high end of this team’s potential while 6th place is close to the low end. I think we are a fringe playoff team. The D2 game won’t do us any favors in that regard.

Still very excited for the season to start. It will be a really interesting season.

I get the uncertainty when getting a new head coach. However, Mental has been a winner at every stop along the way. His first recruiting class may well turn out to be the best ever at WSU. The defensive and special teams coaching has not changed, other than Hill's departure. We did lose a couple of key players on the defensive side,but we had quality guys waiting in the wings and our recruiting filled those rooms with quality guys. I expect the defense and special teams will be as good as ever.

As far as the offense goes, Mental is keeping control of that and this will be the second year of his offense. Execution should be better. Our RB and reciever rooms are loaded and the OL has been bolstered by some good transfers along with having everybody back.

The way it looks to me is that we should be improved from last year's third place finish. We just have to take care of business on our home turf. :coffee:

Latest posts

Back