• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Weber State WBB Coach Takes Another Job

I guess she wasn't able to get another grad-transfer gem. :lol:

Seriously, though, this is kind of an odd move. :?

*edit* - I now read that Ord is originally from upstate NY, so it sorta makes sense. This sounds kinda like Laurie Kelly's departure from NAU to Gustavus Adolphus several years ago, though I don't believe Ord was on as much of a hot seat as Kelly was. Also, ironically, Laurie Kelly came to NAU from Binghamton in 2003.

She was an interesting individual from what I've been told by other athletic department folks from other schools. Had a bit of a "big time" attitude apparently based on the fact she came from Louisville and let's just say the Big Sky didn't quite measure up in some areas she was used to like travel, individual coaches dressing rooms on the road etc.

She did seem to recruit pretty well and took advantages of her opportunities. She turned Weber from a joke to respectable, remember Weber was beginning to threaten the all time WBB record for most consecutive games lost (held by Long Island University I believe with 61 in a row...) at one point. Will be interesting if they can find someone to keep that turnaround going.

She was very well paid by Weber I know that much so they've got money.

PBP

Weber hires former Utah assistant:

https://weberstatesports.com/news/2018/7/17/velaida-harris-named-weber-state-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

It looks like Weber's new head coach may have an easier job next year than Northern Colorado's. She has less time to work with but potentially more returning players.

If Weber's returning players all stay and the signed recruits didn't leave after Coach Ord did (2 big "ifs"), then Velaida Harris will have 12 players on the roster (8 returnees, 4 early signees, and 1 late transfer signee who will sit out 2018-19).

Jenny Huth was announced by UNC as coach on April 30 but the UNC website only has stories of her filling out the staff and no stories any about signees. UNC also has their 2018-19 roster online with only seven players listed. One of the listed players is Savannah Smith who was said have considered transferring.

It will be interesting to see if the new coaches can keep their teams at or near the top of the standings this coming year.

I think the four favorites going into next season for Big Sky WBB will be Portland State, Idaho State, Idaho and Montana State in no particular order. Just my opinion.

PBP

PBP said:
I think the four favorites going into next season for Big Sky WBB will be Portland State, Idaho State, Idaho and Montana State in no particular order. Just my opinion.

PBP

I agree with PSU, ISU, and Idaho, though ISU has had a tendency to underachieve in the regular season in recent years (before surging in the tournament).

MSU seems more like a wild card to me. They'll be relying heavily on those two transfers from Seton Hall, plus the Bobcats have a strong habit of fading down the stretch.

I think Montana would've been a contender if Caitlin Lonergan hadn't decided to give up sports entirely.

I doubt EWU, Sac, SUU, Weber, NAU, or NoCo will be contending.

Never count out Wendy and Eastern.

As far as ISU "underachieving" there may be some truth to it although they have been battered by serious injuries for the past six years losing key players for long stretches.

Plus, just my opinion, I think the travel grind they have to go through starts to take a toll later in the regular season, part of that of course, is because they are able to play so few home games, unlike say a Montana who has the ability to pay to get teams to come to Dahlberg as far as the pre conference schedule.

The travel miles add up say when you only have 13 home games compared to 16 or 17.

PBP

PBP said:
Never count out Wendy and Eastern.

Well… it seems you can always count on them to be in the top half, but you can also count on them never having enough to win the thing. Also, as kind of an aside, Schuller's BSC Tournament record sucks. She's never even been past the semifinals during her 17 years in Cheney.

As far as ISU "underachieving" there may be some truth to it although they have been battered by serious injuries for the past six years losing key players for long stretches.

That's true. Unfortunately, that badly timed Dora Goles injury put the Bengals behind the 8-ball right away.

Latest posts

Back