• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Strategy to rename merged OHSU-PSU

BroadwayVik

If it were to happen, it would be great. Here's one way to do it:

One day after merging de facto, OHSU-PSU call for a gathering of the media for a big announcement, that the two institutions have merged. But there is still yet a problem, they also announce: What to call the combined institution.

That's why, they say, we are opening up a contest to name our newly-merged institution. Well, one idea that "makes it down the pike" is to have oit join the merger and use their name. Then we have the great new tech school on the national block, the new large and effectual university,

Oregon Institute of Technology

in Portland with PSU as the "stem cell" university, OHSU as the medical school component and oit as the multi-venued tech component. Sports teams are called Vikings and we import blue from OHSU and gold from oit while retaining green and white from PSU.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

- Chinese proverb

This topic popping up again? Correct me if I am wrong, but such a move world requires approval by the state legislature. Last I heard, the suggestion to do just that, died in committee and never came up to a floor vote.

CaseyOrourke said:
This topic popping up again? Correct me if I am wrong, but such a move world requires approval by the state legislature. Last I heard, the suggestion to do just that, died in committee and never came up to a floor vote.

Hey, hey, chill... kind of like the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor. "He's on a roll."

The original idea represents an excellent suggestion from OHSU Professor Mitch Greenlick as it would add tremendous value to the state -- an undeniably great university in the state's nationally significant metropolitan area. To not have that in place now shows what incredibly poor leadership the state has now. No wonder neighboring states make jokes about the questionable intelligence of Oregonian leaders.

The legislature members who oppose this idea show themselves as either (1) acting ignorantly from an economic standpoint, or (2) consciously against the better economic interests of the state (as a whole), most likely for corrupt political gain. We need to identify and oppose these corrupt legislators holding the metro area hostage in favor of personal private gain.

This is an idea of such obvious merit that it needs to be readdressed again and again until it overcomes any and all legislator stupidity and does, in fact, finally become enacted to permit a great university in Portland. The value-destroying, corrupt legislators need to be exposed for their harm to the state's betterment and opposed vehemently, as one would oppose lead in water systems. Do we want the state to be continued to be legislated by twits? I don't think so.

The legislature members who oppose this idea show themselves as either (1) acting ignorantly from an economic standpoint, or (2) consciously against the better economic interests of the state (as a whole), most likely for corrupt political gain. We need to identify and oppose these corrupt legislators holding the metro area hostage in favor of personal private gain.

Sometimes representatives take their cues from their constituents. If they believe that the city hurts the state, they act a certain way.

Number of registered voters in Oregon: 2,169,258 (as of December 2015).

Extrapolation time: 59% of Oregonians go on to college. 20% of Oregonians (not of the 59%, of the 100%) finish. So probably 800,000. Supposedly there's more college-educated people migrating into state than out, but I highly doubt that (1) that makes for a majority of regular registered voters, nor (2) the people migrating in appreciate the state of higher education as much as they do their morning Stumptown.

Of course, not everyone who's college educated took the geography class I took, delineating how growth patterns usually stem from cities bursting at the seams. Portland isn't really bursting as much as it could, but it is pricing people out of the city at the moment. Another discussion for another time, and also a problem for Portland State.

So there's a Democratic majority, but a perception across the state that Portland takes from them when in reality the tax dollars flow the other way. Sure enough, there's no way in Hell the elected representatives intend to change either the perception (which keeps them elected) nor the reality (which keeps the constituents happy).

So secede from the state already!

(Yes, I'm still having a laugh, but from that place from which it's all you can do when you see the reality. No, you cannot be a public institution and escape politics.)

Noble ways are clearly superior to the ways of the selfish and greedy Oregon politician known as the Whoregonian.

Good job on suggesting Reno, but I'd rather pursue an against-the-odds strategy than a give-in-to-the-status-quo one. The status quo in Whoregonian leadership is what is laughable.

Are there no good leaders in this state worth their salt?

Latest posts

Back