• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Sac State coming to town

oldrunner

Sac Saturday @ 1:00 pm.

Sac has been one of the most potent offenses in the BSC this year. They have one of the best RBs in Scattebo, but have a running QB that can hurt you as well. They will occasionally run a passing play with that QB, but they have another QB who comes in for passing situations. Thier passing QB does not run much, but they usually have other runners in the game with him. Lately, he has floated a few passes for interceptions and that almost cost them the game against Idaho.

I'm sure that Sac will try to run it on us because that's what they do best. However, our D will be the best they have seen so far. We will make every effort to slow their running game down and force them into passing situations. Our secondary should create a few turn overs. On the offensive side of things, we just need to take care of the ball and not turn it over ourselves. Of course, all of that is easier said than done. I expect another hard fought game.

The weather on Saturday looks like 40s and rain mixed with snow. We do have a bit of experience with that, but I'm not sure they do. They will also be climbing up in altitude quite a bit. although, the effect of that should be minimal. :coffee:

We do have a bit of experience with that, but I'm not sure they do.

Yeah, we experienced 4 safeties. Hopefully it’s not an issue this time.

This will be a very interesting matchup. I’m sure they’re going to try to use O’Hara the same way MSU utilized Mellott. Mobile QBs have given us fits over the years with how much man coverage we play.

That said, I feel oddly confident about this game. Maybe I’m putting too much stock into the last two weeks, but they are really lucky to have escaped both Montana and Idaho, and we are a step up from those teams, plus we’re home.

The Dan said:
We do have a bit of experience with that, but I'm not sure they do.

Yeah, we experienced 4 safeties. Hopefully it’s not an issue this time.

This will be a very interesting matchup. I’m sure they’re going to try to use O’Hara the same way MSU utilized Mellott. Mobile QBs have given us fits over the years with how much man coverage we play.

That said, I feel oddly confident about this game. Maybe I’m putting too much stock into the last two weeks, but they are really lucky to have escaped both Montana and Idaho, and we are a step up from those teams, plus we’re home.
We don't play Idaho this year, so no comparison their. Against Montana we over doubled them up on most statistical categories, except the score, where it was close. Sac gave up 33 points to Utah Tech and came from behind, for most of the game, to win it in the fourth qtr against Montana. I don't have the stats on that one, but I'm guessung that they were close.

It really is a simple equation in this one. We win by slowing their running attack and forcing them into having to pass. With #10 in as QB they are a read option sort of team, running it most of the time. With the other QB in, they are more a threat to pass, but may still hand off to the run. I feel that they try to be a balanced attack, but are far more effective running the ball. How the weather will impact the running game, I'm not really sure. In the passing game, it can bounce both ways. It depends on how well the DBs handle it. It will certainly help to have today's practice in it.

It should be a fun game to be in and to watch. Bundle up, and prepare to have a blast in the snow. :nod:

Davis and Sharp are both said to be playing in this one. We should be back at full strength. :coffee:

The good news. Sac isnt quite as sound defensively as Montucky. Yards can be gained and points can be scored on them.

The bad news is they are way better than them offensively. Both QB's are good and one is very shifty and hard to stop. They also have a bruiser for a RB who I swear is suffering from some kind of head problem as he is constantly shaking his head like he's trying to clear something out.

Defense is gonna need to come to play again. We cannot let this game become a shootout.

Should be a close game, but I've got a slight edge for Weebs in this one. Hope I'm wrong.

To make this game more interesting, how about the loser has to resign Jody Sears to a 10 year deal? ;-)

SDHornet said:
Should be a close game, but I've got a slight edge for Weebs in this one. Hope I'm wrong.

To make this game more interesting, how about the loser has to resign Jody Sears to a 10 year deal? ;-)
Crimeny! Now that is incentive.

I guess either one of us could resign him to wash jock straps. Although, he would have to be closely suppervised. :lol:

Looks like rain forecasted the entire game and most of the day. With the location of the stadium, this might mean sleet or snow. This could really make for tough conditions…not sure how either team will respond. Expect a game that goes down to the wire. Should be interesting…bring the ponchos and dress warm!

This is as close as they can be. The team that wins the turnover battle will win the game. The edge goes to Weber because of weather conditions.

Time to ditch the white helmets. I think it brings the team back to the 1-10 year under Graybeal execution-wise. That safety is going to hurt. Really don’t know how long they can stick with Sands. It cost them one game, and put them in a hole today.

Work cut out for the Wildcats…looking pretty sloppy today.

Some really questionable calls from Hill today. Not going for a 4th and 3 at 43 down 10 points and then trying an onside kick down 7 with 4 minutes and 2 timeouts knowing not converting puts them in FG range. Defense was soft. They could definitely lose either or both of their last two games. The committee would put Montana ahead of them if they do…seriously, don’t take it for granted.

Credit Sac State, they executed enough and the special teams threw them another 2 points they didn’t need.

Separation at the top...Bobcats pulled out a last minute win at No. Arizona, Hornets have Davis as a challenge left... Bobcats face the instate Grizzlies...things could adjust slightly BUT looks likely for Hornets, Bobcats to end up 1 & 2, the Vandals might be 3rd if Davis doesn't mess it up. Wildcats should play (and win) for 4th with two winnable games left.

Hornets have a very good team, may be beatible but haven't been yet & played & executed better today. There's some interesting football games left to be played. :coffee:

What a slugfest. Special teams play was the difference. The safety, the head scratching decision by the Hornet coaches to kick it deep when Weebs was gashing us all game on kick returns, as mentioned that on-side kick decision with 4 minutes and 2 timeouts left that gifted us a FG, the Hornets converting on that FG.

Offensively Weber has some shots deep that should have beat us but didn't follow through on the execution.

Good luck in the playoffs! :thumb:

Weber St. absolutely deserved to lose this game. Let’s face it when Weber has faced their two toughest tests they’ve failed bad. Again today you had turnovers, drops, bad defense, and now poor coaching.

Sands should never see the field again as a LS, Sharp has some of the worst hands I’ve seen for a “supposed” WR, and none of our RB’s can stay healthy (don’t know if that’s poor strength and conditioning or brittle players). On top of this you have Hill punting on 4th and inches in the 1st qtr., punting on 4th and 3 down 10 pts., and a horrendous onside kick attempt with 4:07 left!!??!!!

This team will probably make the playoffs and be bounced in the 1st round. I know some may hate calling out of “young players” but with NIL deals and then wanting recognition for great play they can and should be called out for poor play. All in all Weber is what they’ve been for a while which is good but not great, and I don’t see a title in the future anytime soon without more clutch players.

GoCatsGo!!! said:
Weber St. absolutely deserved to lose this game. Let’s face it when Weber has faced their two toughest tests they’ve failed bad. Again today you had turnovers, drops, bad defense, and now poor coaching.

Sands should never see the field again as a LS, Sharp has some of the worst hands I’ve seen for a “supposed” WR, and none of our RB’s can stay healthy (don’t know if that’s poor strength and conditioning or brittle players). On top of this you have Hill punting on 4th and inches in the 1st qtr., punting on 4th and 3 down 10 pts., and a horrendous onside kick attempt with 4:07 left!!??!!!

This team will probably make the playoffs and be bounced in the 1st round. I know some may hate calling out of “young players” but with NIL deals and then wanting recognition for great play they can and should be called out for poor play. All in all Weber is what they’ve been for a while which is good but not great, and I don’t see a title in the future anytime soon without more clutch players.

Agree with your comments. Sad thing is if the dominant defenses of the past had this improved offense, there could have been a possible title. Just as the offense is improving, the defense is dropping off. Of course the offense has lots of improvement to make with dropped passes, missed reads, turnovers, etc.

They haven’t executed in the big games. Still, the separation from 1-4 in the Big Sky is razor thin, so if they can sharpen up, they could make a run in the playoffs…but I just want to see them win the next two…those are going to be hard games.

As for the white helmets, burn them…send them to hell! Reminds me of the Ian Pizzaro 1-10 year with the shield logo on the white helmets and the ravens style purple jersey. I’m almost throwing up thinking about those years.

SDHornet said:

:rofl:

I attended a weber sears game at Davis and at cal poly. I think we lost both a combined 87-6

Chex said:

Agree with your comments. Sad thing is if the dominant defenses of the past had this improved offense, there could have been a possible title. Just as the offense is improving, the defense is dropping off. Of course the offense has lots of improvement to make with dropped passes, missed reads, turnovers, etc.

They haven’t executed in the big games. Still, the separation from 1-4 in the Big Sky is razor thin, so if they can sharpen up, they could make a run in the playoffs…but I just want to see them win the next two…those are going to be hard games.

As for the white helmets, burn them…send them to hell! Reminds me of the Ian Pizzaro 1-10 year with the shield logo on the white helmets and the ravens style purple jersey. I’m almost throwing up thinking about those years.

Like the white helmets, perhaps if you could send in a big $ donation to the football program, they could change up their helmets & uniforms for each game's theme (as the fat cats - Utes, etc.- do with their hoards of cash)!!

Agree that the offense is slowly improving, but still have hiccups at the wrong time...not a championship team yet. Tougher competition brings out the weaknesses in opponents none better than the playoffs. In 2017, Wildcats had a reasonably good offense/defense & a great QB, but JMU took care of business still. :twocents:

AlumniWSU said:
Chex said:

Like the white helmets, perhaps if you could send in a big $ donation to the football program, they could change up their helmets & uniforms for each game's theme (as the fat cats - Utes, etc.- do with their hoards of cash)!!

Agree that the offense is slowly improving, but still have hiccups at the wrong time...not a championship team yet. Tougher competition brings out the weaknesses in opponents none better than the playoffs. In 2017, Wildcats had a reasonably good offense/defense & a great QB, but JMU took care of business still. :twocents:

My cash flow is way too low for a donation of any amount. I think the purple helmets are their standard helmets, so the white must have come from a donation. Loved the Go W logo, but always much better on the purple helmets how they were in the Arslanian days. Bad mojo with the white helmets…stay purple!

That JMU game was so close. Weber State almost had the clinching interception but just dropped it. I think they got hosed on the blocked field goal return for a TD on a phantom hold right before half. Part of beating the big teams is overcoming some weak penalties.

Like you said, tougher competition finds a way to make the play or two. Hopefully the Wildcats can break through and find a way this year. I still think they need some more talent in a few positions to make that happen. I think it looks wide open for the playoffs this year, so just need to gel at right time. No one looks like a sure bet to me.

Latest posts

Back