• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Roadie At Sac and PSU

oldrunner

Jumping back into BSC games on the road this week to Sac State and Portland State.

Sac has been struggling so far this year. They are quite young and inexperienced as a whole. Their top player is a 6'9'' PF, Powell. From what I have seen, he is most dangerous within about 15 ft of the basket. They also have some guards who can get hot from the outside. This is a game we should win, but I don't think there are any teams in the BSC that we can take for granted as a win. We will get their best game. They always play us like it is the last game they will ever play. I expect a dog fight.

Portland State, as always, has the best athletes in the BSC. They like to play a pressure and run game. To stop them you need to play a sound defense that stops their dribble drive to the basket. It's easy to say that, but it's hard work and concentration to do it. As usual, they started the year off really hot with wins over some big programs. However, also as usual, they seem to falter once teams figure out how to stop what they do. This game will also be a hard fought contest.

A split this week, on the road, would be good. A sweep would be great. :coffee:

Go Wildcats!

I agree that we generally get every team’s best game. Winning on the road is tough, but I’m hopeful that the Wildcats can take both games. This team looks balanced and has multiple scoring options. I think they have the ability to put up an impressive conference record. I’m excited to watch these games! Congratulations to Coach Duft, staff, and team on getting a good system up and going quickly. Love the effort and team play!

The Hornets have struggled all year with toooooooo many turnovers...If, and this is a big IF, they can keep the number of turnovers in single figures, we have a chance....if not, no chance....It's just that easy....so many lazy passes I have never seen any team be this careless...

sacstateman said:
The Hornets have struggled all year with toooooooo many turnovers...If, and this is a big IF, they can keep the number of turnovers in single figures, we have a chance....if not, no chance....It's just that easy....so many lazy passes I have never seen any team be this careless...
I like the young players that have been brought in. They just need a little development and maturity, but you can see the potential. The turnover issues probably relate to the number of new players brought in. There is something to be said for consistency. They may be playing their best ball by March, if they haven't thrown in the towel.

I don't see any team going undefeated and I don't see any team going winless either.

BTW, I was in Lodi last spring. The wives did a little shopping and we did a little wine tasting. We had lunch at a nice little Italian style place. It was all good. Loved the place.

oldrunner said:
sacstateman said:
I like the young players that have been brought in. They just need a little development and maturity, but you can see the potential. The turnover issues probably relate to the number of new players brought in. There is something to be said for consistency. They may be playing their best ball by March, if they haven't thrown in the towel.

I don't see any team going undefeated and I don't see any team going winless either.

BTW, I was in Lodi last spring. The wives did a little shopping and we did a little wine tasting. We had lunch at a nice little Italian style place. It was all good. Loved the place.

Glad you had a nice visit....I passed through Salt Lake in August....Didn't stop though...Was on my way home from Colorado....The biggest culprits in our turnover problem are Hamoda, a junior transfer from USU with an assist to turnover ratio of .57 and Betson, a senior transfer from Tulsa sporting a .83 A/T playing the point....That's why I call them lazy passes because these 2 have enough experience to have eliminated these types of turnovers....Oh well, I guess we have to play it anyway...

sacstateman said:
oldrunner said:
sacstateman said:

Glad you had a nice visit....I passed through Salt Lake in August....Didn't stop though...Was on my way home from Colorado....The biggest culprits in our turnover problem are Hamoda, a junior transfer from USU with an assist to turnover ratio of .57 and Betson, a senior transfer from Tulsa sporting a .83 A/T playing the point....That's why I call them lazy passes because these 2 have enough experience to have eliminated these types of turnovers....Oh well, I guess we have to play it anyway...
We don't turn the ball over much, but we also don't force a lot of TOs. I think we are something like a +3 in TO margin. We are a descent rebounding team and generally shoot the ball well. What we have been hanging our hats on is defense. We are fundamentally sound on D and seem to adjust well to each opponents strengths. It helps that we have really good depth in most positions. Enough that foul trouble doesn't hurt much. With that said, we have also shown the ability to lay an egg on a given night. Hence, our losses to UVU and Gardner Webb. :coffee:

I went to weber at Sac in 2012, Dame's final season.
It was Jimmer's rookie year and about half the Kings were at the game to see Dame. Demarcus Cousins was impossible to miss but no Jimmer in site.

wazzuwildcat03 said:
Some soaker fans still believe Jimmer is better than Dame. :rofl:

Jones would school Jimmer now and in 2011. Jimmer was great he just had 1 small weakness.

26 ppg, 0 rpg, 0 spg

We started that game a bit flat and never really got it going. Reminded me a little of the UVU game. I hope they got it out of their system. Hand it to Sac, they hit their shots when they had to and turned us over when they had to.

ISU beat PSU. Who knows what we will see at PSU.

I think it hurt us a bit to not have Tew available to play. I hope he can recover fast.

Definitely missed Tew. The rebounding game hurt the Wildcats and Koehler had a bad shooting night. Still had some chance, so credit the team for fighting back and almost pulling it out, and tip your hat to Sac State.

Bad loss. Sac St is a 292 on Kenpom, and that's after the game. Weber should not be losing to teams at the bottom of the league. Portland is a must win. Seems kind of early in the season to be saying that. Go cats!

sacstateman said:

Well, we didnt quite stay in single figures for turnovers but 12 is definitely better than our season average per game of 16....The season average for difference in our TO's to our opponent was over 5...this game the difference was only 2 so that factored into the outcome....We played, probably, the best overall game of the year....bring on ISU and see if we can pull another rabbit out of our hat....its possible....wouldnt surprise me if we beat ISU and it would be nice if this is the turning point in our season...Got to play em and see where you stack up....

Well, another setback. Verplanken had an off night after a great game. Poor shooting night. Honestly, since no home court rides on regular season…not as big a deal. The EWU game will be tough. I thought that would be a hard game but would give the edge to the Wildcats…not thinking the Eagles have the edge now. They need to regroup and pull out of this bad spell…still hopeful they can.

Weber looked good for about 10 minutes in each of those games. That just isn't going to cut it in road games in the BSC. We simply are not good enough to just show up and win. For most of both of those games, I saw us standing around and watching others do the rebounding, I saw us playing D like there was no urgency, I saw us settling for poor shots instead of fighting for better ones, and I saw piss poor body language from some of our leading players. That's fine, if you want to be a F#(#ed up mediocre program. However, I don't think that is what they want to be. If some of those guys don't want to play, bench them. We might as well be working on next year if our starters are throwing in the towl.

The only positive about this messed up situation is that it is still early January. There is still time to get this thing turned around if they have the guts to do it. We will see. You certainly can not expect to play with that lack of attitude on the road in the BSC and win. :coffee:

oldrunner said:
Weber looked good for about 10 minutes in each of those games. That just isn't going to cut it in road games in the BSC. We simply are not good enough to just show up and win. For most of both of those games, I saw us standing around and watching others do the rebounding, I saw us playing D like there was no urgency, I saw us settling for poor shots instead of fighting for better ones, and I saw piss poor body language from some of our leading players. That's fine, if you want to be a F#(#ed up mediocre program. However, I don't think that is what they want to be. If some of those guys don't want to play, bench them. We might as well be working on next year if our starters are throwing in the towl.

The only positive about this messed up situation is that it is still early January. There is still time to get this thing turned around if they have the guts to do it. We will see. You certainly can not expect to play with that lack of attitude on the road in the BSC and win. :coffee:

In a way I agree with you olds, but I saw it, at least in the Sac game, as a team that was starting to think they were going to be able to just show up and win...Sadly, some young guys think that way at times...Maybe this weekend will wake them up....ISU gave us a good game but we didn't play half as good as we did against you guys...Season is still young...lots of ball to be played....

Latest posts

Back