• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

PGE Park to get FieldTurf

skywaker9

As you may have seen, PGE Park will get FieldTurf in time for next season, which is good. Some have suggested grass would be better and for a while I would have agreed with this desire but as I learned when UO changed its mind on putting real grass into its stadium when it did the expansion several years ago, it has several drawbacks. Namely:

1. It doesn't drain well compared to artificial turf. See the Pittsburgh-Miami 3-0 mud bowl for examples of this.
2. It's much more expensive to maintain.
3. It is "harder" on players than artificial turf.
4. Its easier to put logos and such on top of artificial turf.
5. Its a more uneven surface, bad hops and such don't happen on FieldTurf.

Agreed, I tihnk most of the cost was borne by Merrit Paulson, the new Beavers/Timbers owner. Frankly, PSU is a small user compared to the number of events held at the facility anually.

The thing I keep thinking about, however, is that contribution to the turf = influence purchased. PSU may have been wise to throw something into this effort (presuming they didn't).

OTOH, I keep thinking about my visit a couple weekends ago and wonder if a football stadium could be built in the same footprint as the current Stott Center PLUS the community field PLUS the greenhouse. Hey, why have that last Park Block to view the 405? For that matter, I know some current stadia (Folsom Field, Boulder comes to mind) where the old Field House was built right into the stadium footprint, so surely a new basketball arena could be somehow incorporated into such a complex. Just thinking out of the box, waiting to be shot to heck.

While we're at it, new library site, anyone?

Pounder said:
The thing I keep thinking about, however, is that contribution to the turf = influence purchased. PSU may have been wise to throw something into this effort (presuming they didn't).

OTOH, I keep thinking about my visit a couple weekends ago and wonder if a football stadium could be built in the same footprint as the current Stott Center PLUS the community field PLUS the greenhouse. Hey, why have that last Park Block to view the 405? For that matter, I know some current stadia (Folsom Field, Boulder comes to mind) where the old Field House was built right into the stadium footprint, so surely a new basketball arena could be somehow incorporated into such a complex. Just thinking out of the box, waiting to be shot to heck.

While we're at it, new library site, anyone?

I don't know about a new library site, but I do have a question about the library. Was it built in two phases or start out as different buildings? I know the story of the front part and how it was built around the tree, but the back part closer to the practice field doesn't even match.

As for the stadium idea, I just don't think there is enough land on that spot for a football stadium.

I checked out OSU / Georgia today at the stadium. The Field Turf looks great. Lots of rubber coming up as it does with Field Turf, but it looks great. Can't wait to see the place configured for the spring game.

Latest posts

Back