• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Pathetic- just pathetic

LDopaPDX

We got smoked by Gonzaga (again) and no one even dropped by our board to mention it. Our basketball program is non-existent right now. Anyone who's had the displeasure of attending our games in person can tell you how apathetic our fan base has become, and the team reflects that. No interest in even conjuring an effort or showing the toughness to play an entire season.

Can't blame the students, these basketball guys come in for a year or two, struggle to be academically eligible and leave before their last year. This program is a joke. Why on Earth did we keep Earlywine for another year of this?

1-5 with a narrow win over a program that is no more than an afterthought freeway exit in NE Seattle.. nice..

I know. It's pretty frustrating right now, but I'd say most of the problems that the program is dealing with at the moment are attributable to Burns.

EWURanger said:
I know. It's pretty frustrating right now, but I'd say most of the problems that the program is dealing with at the moment are attributable to Burns.

We shouldn't even play Gonzaga, and I don't care what they're paying us to go get embarrassed. I don't even think we've won a game in the series since 1991, plus our team is horrible right now anyway. It does too much damage to the reputation of our school in the Spokane area when we get lit up by 40 points, people in Spokane think because gonzaga smokes us in basketball, that we're basically a community college.

STOP SCHEDULING GONZAGA! Oh, and Earlywine has go to go, i can't believe they extended his contract....I'm not saying his coaching is bad, but obviously he's scaring off our recruits.

Also, did you know Earlywine ordered those uniforms without talking to anyone in the university, what are those? Nike? Adidas? No, those are Kirkland signature baby! Anyone see the Rosa's Pizza logo on the back too (sarcasm)?

our only win is a 9 point win over an NAIA division 2 school, that's right people, the lowest division in college athletics, 4 divisions below D1.

You know, I'm tired of people blaming everything on Mike Burns. You may not have agreed with everything Mike did as a coach but let it go. Our troubles today have nothing to do with Coach Burns other then the way EWU handled Mike's dismissal burned a multitude of bridges in the northwest for recruiting.

The simple fact is that Earlywine is a HORRIBLE coach who through his daily assault of F bombs in practice and throwing his team under the bus in the press after each game burns out his players and leaves them looking for an escape. It was clear during last nights game that most of the players have already tuned out Earlywine and are simply playing for their own stats (which sucked btw. What horrible shooting.) so they can transfer at the end of the year. As long as he remains at EWU we will not have a program.

BTW, we did beat Gonzaga back in 2004. Giacoletti was coach and that was Mark Axton and crew vs. Adam Morrison and company. Ironic that Giacoletti is on the other bench now as Gonzaga humiliated EWU.

Guitarguy said:
You know, I'm tired of people blaming everything on Mike Burns. You may not have agreed with everything Mike did as a coach but let it go. Our troubles today have nothing to do with Coach Burns other then the way EWU handled Mike's dismissal burned a multitude of bridges in the northwest for recruiting.

The simple fact is that Earlywine is a HORRIBLE coach who through his daily assault of F bombs in practice and throwing his team under the bus in the press after each game burns out his players and leaves them looking for an escape. It was clear during last nights game that most of the players have already tuned out Earlywine and are simply playing for their own stats (which sucked btw. What horrible shooting.) so they can transfer at the end of the year. As long as he remains at EWU we will not have a program.

BTW, we did beat Gonzaga back in 2004. Giacoletti was coach and that was Mark Axton and crew vs. Adam Morrison and company. Ironic that Giacoletti is on the other bench now as Gonzaga humiliated EWU.

Welcome to the forum, but Eastern did not beat GU in 2004. Here is a link to our 2003-2004 schedule http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/EWAS/2005-schedule.html and here is our 2004-2005 schedule. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/EWAS/2005-schedule.html

The espn article of the loss last night even says "Eastern Washington has lost 30 of the last 31 games against its Spokane County neighbor, including 23 straight." Please tell me what benefit we gain by playing this game. Link to that article http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303342250

We went from 17-13 to 8-20 (when Burns took over the program.), but you're right, maybe it wasn't burns' fault. If it weren't for Stuckey, we would have sucked for those two years too.

Burns came off as just as much of an asshole as Earlywine (granted, i don't know either of them personally), I remember watching him from the stands yelling at the players, yelling at the refs, and certainly didn't come off as a nice person.

There is no question Burns was downright apocalyptic for our program. He was a destroyer of epic proportions. His handling of Rodney Stuckey was disgraceful, and running two GREAT Big Sky quality players like Pariseau and Nelson was the beginning of the end for our program.

That said, Earlywine has brought it down even lower. He never starts a season with a full roster, and continuously recruits academic question marks. Worse yet, we typically finish every season wrose than we started--- which bodes awful for us this year with a 1-5 start.

Time to start over. After several pathetic years under John Wade, it didn't take Steve Aggers long to get us respectable. Basketball isn't like football where it takes 3 years to rebuild, you can do it in 2 and sometimes even 1 in b-ball.

The basketball program is an embarrassment to the university and the administration doesn't seem to care. I stopped going and many others have followed. Wake up adminstration and put a stop to this!

Seriously, could we drop our b-ball program and add intercollegiate hockey? I don't spend a lot of time on campus, but it seems the younger crew are way more interested in our club hockey team than the men's basketball team. It would certainly be novel for us to be the only hockey program in the NW, and we would have a HUGE recruiting avenue into Western Canada for the top-caliber kids that leave the WHL without any kind of pro offer.

This season so far has been a joke and I thought we may have a decent season this year. Obviously losing Dean really hurts us and he will be a big help when he returns. We still don't have the talent to compete most nights thought, and last night was an embarrassment. I'm not one to rip coaches, but we have not have a lot of good coaching the past few years. We had the Starting Point Guard for the Detroit Pistons on our team and made the Big Sky tourney one year (I believe as a 5 or 6 seed) and missed it the next year, that is a joke in itself.

I don't see Earlywine lasting long and I don't know what he did to earn the extension, but I don't make those decisions.

Our fan support sucks for the mens games, but that is because we can't win and can't compete, no one wants to drive to Cheney for an ass kicking. Things will turn around and I actually think we will compete in the BSC this year, but we need a lot of change in the Men's B-Ball program.

Guitarguy said:

I disagree.

Latest posts

Back