• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

No BYU this year

wazzuwildcat03

The soakers just released their non conference schedule and we are not on it. Utah state is not on it either. I have a bad feeling we will not have any in state games this year. I don’t understand that. They seem like the most obvious games to schedule. Not much travel, fun for the fans, but instead you see schools schedule teams that just don’t make sense when you could play teams in state. We still have not released our entire schedule so hopefully we will play the Aggies, Utah Valley, Southern Utah, Utah tech, but I’m not holding my breath.

If we are honest with ourselves, we should be able to at least understand why BYU and Utah are shying away from playing us. They have more to lose and little to gain in a game like that. There is a strong possibility that we beat them and that hurts them far more than a win helps them. Plus, they are recruiting in the same markets that we are. Neither one of those teams will ever come to the Dee again. We stomped them pretty good the last time they showed their faces in Ogden. They would rather play a payout game with the likes of ISU or NAU than pay us for that same game. It's more of a sure win for them.

I think we may be playing road games this year with UVU and UTech.

The one that truly has no excuse, other than their feelings were hurt, is Utah State. We've been playing them HnH for the past 50 years. Last year we played the game in Logan and beat them, ruining their 9 game, undefeated winning streak and hurting their feelings deeply. We also crushed them in football, which contributed to their butts hurting even more. So, now they are refusing to play us. I guess they think that puts them on the same level as BYU and UU. That couldn't be further from the truth. It's just making them look chickenshit. I guess, being an Agricultural School, being chickenshit isn't that bad to them.

All of these scheduling issues are hurting the college game. No other way to put it. Scheduling needs to be out of the BB coaches hands. :coffee:

Not sure it's always the Coach's final decision, although further thought may persuade them from their good intentions. The U's Craig Smith said upon being hired on as HC that it was his desire to schedule instate games with the likes of Weber State. At the Huntsman Ctr of course...he said it was great for fan interest on both sides. That apparently was shot down & you see the foolish results, poor attendance when they play "P U"s.

BYU? No surprise, though, dropping WSU what with joining the power Big 12. Thought they might keep the "0-forX" Wildcat losing trend going for them to brag about at the Marriot Ctr. Maybe they need to focus on high major competition in OOC, they'll surely need it...looks like they will see what the doormat feels like.

The less exciting games vs. SUU, UVU, UTU will have to be it & are good to schedule. USU may resume playing the Wildcats, though, with Montana State's former HC now there. Might depend on the new woman AD too. Jerry B. may try to persuade so in the background. If not, it's great that it ended with a double W against the BB & FB Aggies! :thumb: :coffee:

Update from Brett Hein; UVU has agreed to a 4 yr contract to play the Wildcats beginning in Orem this yr. Assuming then that it will be the DEC in 2024, etc.

Said that no other in-state teams dare to schedule WSU this year. ( :shake: Aggies, Cougars, Utes = cowards ).

:coffee:

AlumniWSU said:
Update from Brett Hein; UVU has agreed to a 4 yr contract to play the Wildcats beginning in Orem this yr. Assuming then that it will be the DEC in 2024, etc.

Said that no other in-state teams dare to schedule WSU this year. ( :shake: Aggies, Cougars, Utes = cowards ).

:coffee:
The Utes and Arizona were considering to play us this year until Dillon anounced he was returning. Read that any way you want.

In basketball, scheduling is done entirely by the coaching staffs. The NCAA really could do something about it, but refuse. Money schools rule the day. Seems to be the world we live in. :coffee:

USU has no excuse, other than they are what you said. I guess they all are, truthfully. :shocking:

Gotta be honest - the home schedule is beyond lame. Only interesting preseason game at home is Cal Poly. Navajo Tech? Benedictine? Park U?
:thumbdown:

Waldo said:
Gotta be honest - the home schedule is beyond lame. Only interesting preseason game at home is Cal Poly. Navajo Tech? Benedictine? Park U?
:thumbdown:
I'm with you there. The scheduling issues are killing NCAA D1, mid major basketball programs across the country. It's not just us. Coaches are killing the very product they claim to love and support.

We need to go after more contracts like we have started with UVU. If all the mid majors decided to quit playing the P5s for money games, and start playing each other whith HnH contracts, I think we could all make more money. Maybe that way the P5s of the world would have to start scheduling the crap games we are getting now, in order to insure their coveted 20 win seasons and keep thier jobs.

In my mind, 20 win seasons are meaninless right now.

what are the real reasons we are playing no instate this yr?

1. byu: probably wont play us again like when utah joined the pac10
2. utah: last game 2011 and we blew them out by 30
3. usu: no clue. we always play them. no game, why?
4. suu: no game, why?
5. uvu: i think we go to orem
6. utu: no game, why?

Here is my guess
Soakers We have Jones, and they are scared to lose..
Utah Same as Soakers
Utah State New coach and will probably suck this year and don't want to lose to us back to back years.
SUU and UTech. No clue
UVU We play them

any word if byu is done playing us for good? feels weird we play only uvu. we have never seen a year like this before.

weber vs byu:
11-37
11-11 in ogden
0-23 in provo
streak: L4
Last 10: 1-9

we started playing them in 1973-74, 2-3 years after usu started playing us. since 1973 the only years weber and byu didnt play were 78-79 and 79-80. the streak was basically dec 1980 until 2022.

Latest posts

Back