• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

New Arena

MaxViking

I don't live in Portland anymore and a lot of people I used to know in the athletic department have now left.

Has anybody heard about a new arena being built on campus? We badly need an arena.

Thanks for creating this site. The other board, Oregonlive.com had to be among the worst in the country.

Supposedly, some preliminary planning work has been done. However, it's gone no further, including any important approvals, or more importantly, funding.

PSU needs a public fundraising campaign for this. I hear nothing, but I live in Boise. Anyone else?

Pounder said:
Supposedly, some preliminary planning work has been done. However, it's gone no further, including any important approvals, or more importantly, funding.

PSU needs a public fundraising campaign for this. I hear nothing, but I live in Boise. Anyone else?

I've not heard anything. :-(

I'll see if I can find anything out.

I forgot where I read this, and it was over a year ago, but I heard people were thinking about building a new "arena" on the current basketball site.

"We are doing some feasibility studies and that may be what you are hearing about. It definitely is something we are serious about trying to accomplish."

From the AD via email.

Not much in detail (to be expected since it's not a press release), but gives me the feeling that something is going on...

From what I heard last year, the University President would support the building of a new arena. I think that PSU desperately needs one, and not just for basketball. The arena could be used for concerts and other events. The key to getting this arena is success and attendance in men's basketball. If the Stott Center sells out an entire season or two, then the talks will get more serious. I'd like to see a new arena breaking ground within the next 5 years.

The arena would have to replace the Stott Center, as there isn't any available land. The PCAT is being replaced with a new Rec Center.

DJViking said:
From what I heard last year, the University President would support the building of a new arena. I think that PSU desperately needs one, and not just for basketball. The arena could be used for concerts and other events. The key to getting this arena is success and attendance in men's basketball. If the Stott Center sells out an entire season or two, then the talks will get more serious. I'd like to see a new arena breaking ground within the next 5 years.

The arena would have to replace the Stott Center, as there isn't any available land. The PCAT is being replaced with a new Rec Center.

welcome DJ

nice to see a new Viking

State funding for phase 1 of the PCAT replacement is authorized. This was expected, but is great news.

http://www.pdx.edu/news/12167/

"the University will be able to move recreation activities from the Peter Stott Center, which is aging and too small to serve the current student enrollment of 25,000 (future plans include a potential renovation of that space for intercollegiate athletics)."

I agree with what everybody has talked about here. However I think the most important thing that PSU Athletics and the University try to achieve is to Hire a very highly motivated and energetic AD that posseses Burman like quaility with Pokey Allen like drive and inspiration! With this person in the chair they can begin to takes steps to move mountains for the future of PSU Athletics. We just need a leader to take us to that upper echelon as all sucessful programs have.

GoViks, you hit the nail on the head.

We need someone who is in it for a long term period and won't use this position as a springboard to jump to another school in 24 months. Someone who they hire and comes out an states what his/her goals are:

- New basketball arena

- BSC Title in football

- Increased attendance

- Etc.

Kind of off topic... I thought for sure that PSU had the smallest capacity for basketball by far. Sac State had an SRO crowd of 1,141 in their win last night. I thought that the old Hornets Nest had a larger capacity. :-\

A big mistake would be replacing the Stott Center with a new arena. The Stott Center needs to be kept as additional practise space for the athletic department. I would like to see it partially converted into a football center. A new arena could be built on the Wells Fargo lot east of the Ondine. This is basically a surface parking lot with the bank building on a 1/4. The Portland Development Commission and the City could partner in the purchase and funding of the new arena which would be the headquarters for the men and women's basketball teams and the athletic department. The Wells Fargo lot is already within the long range plans to be part of PSU as the University District.

Regarding the Bernstine article in the Big O today...

I was happy reading that Mariani "was confident the financing for such a building wouldn't be a problem,"

yet Bernstine says "...we still don't have the money to change the Stott Center or build a new facility. It's not that if we built a facility that vacated the Stott Center, we'd have the resources to build a new arena. They're separate issues, but on the other hand, it doesn't make sense to build a 4,000-seat arena when you aren't filling up a 1,500-seat arena."

Soft questions and soft answers in that article today. I don't know what to think. :-(

martymoose said:
Regarding the Bernstine article in the Big O today...

I was happy reading that Mariani "was confident the for such a building wouldn't be a problem,"

yet Bernstine says "...we still don't have the money to change the Stott Center or build a new facility. It's not that if we built a facility that vacated the Stott Center, we'd have the resources to build a new arena. They're separate issues, but on the other hand, it doesn't make sense to build a 4,000-seat arena when you aren't filling up a 1,500-seat arena."

Soft questions and soft answers in that article today. I don't know what to think. :-(

I agree, we need to get fans to come out before we make an arena like that, that or we make the arena and put tarps on the first 30 rows and call it a sell out

Latest posts

Back