• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

@NAU

Chex

I expect a big battle from the Lumberjacks. Flagstaff has always proved tricky for the Wildcats, and NAU seems to play the Wildcats tougher than most Big Sky teams do even though they aren’t in the top of the standings. I remember the Hail Mary that helped the Wildcats escape with a win in Ogden…that was a nail biter.

I think last game will help re-establish confidence, and I think the Wildcats win by 10-14. I’ll say 31-17. A 9-2 record with only two losses via top 5 teams should ensure a nice draw.

Go Wildcats!

Wildcats remain ranked #7 in the STATS top 25... Sac St is #2, MSU #3, UM #13, Idaho #21 & UC Davis #24. Need a strong win to assure a top 8 seed in order for a first round bye. There are 11 conference auto-qualifying playoff bids, 13 at large. Wildcats are #10 in the FCS Coaches Poll, with some tough competition listed 1-11. Only BSC team (Idaho) could be matched against Weber St in first playoff game, where they didn't play each other in the regular season. Playoff selection show Sunday Nov 20 on ESPNU.

So plenty incentive to get revved up for...Wildcats need to scratch out a 14-17 pt win! Predict so :thumb:

Brand new Rivalry trophy starting this weekend.

https://weberstatesports.com/news/...n-arizona-announce-football-red-rock-rivalry

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. and OGDEN, Utah (November 14, 2022) – Building on a nearly 60-year football history between the two programs, Northern Arizona University and Weber State University will introduce the Red Rock Rivalry Trophy following this week's regular season finale at Findlay Toyota Field in Flagstaff.

The Wildcats, a charter member of the Big Sky Conference which began play in 1963, and the Lumberjacks, who arrived in 1970 as one of two additions to the original six-team conference, have played 54 times in their respective histories.

"Weber State and Northern Arizona have been competing against each other since 1964, and over that period of time there have been some memorable moments that have created an exciting history and rivalry between the two schools," said Weber State Director of Athletics Tim Crompton. "Designating the game as the Red Rock Rivalry will generate additional energy to the contest for both institutions and their fans. Not that either team needs any extra incentive, but we sure would like to make room for another trophy."

Split right down the middle with 27 victories apiece on the field, the all-time series between Northern Arizona and Weber State is even tighter when taking a closer look. The Wildcats hold a 19-9 record in Ogden against the Lumberjacks while Northern Arizona leads 18-8 when playing in Flagstaff.
"Historically, NAU versus Weber State is one of the Big Sky Conference's most competitive football series," said Northern Arizona Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Mike Marlow. "Our Athletic program has a great deal of respect for Weber State and how they conduct their business. We look forward to acknowledging the past and future of this rivalry by introducing the Red Rock Rivalry Trophy and I'm sure both programs will proudly display the trophy when it resides on campus."

While Weber State has won the past two meetings, both in Ogden, the teams have evenly split their past four, eight, 12 and 14 meetings. Additionally, neither side has won more than four consecutive meetings in the series. Weber State achieved the feat on three occasions, from 1965 to 1968, 1970 to 1973 and most recently from 2008 to 2011. Northern Arizona did so from 2001 to 2004 and again in the four meetings between 2014 and 2018.

The programs alternated their first 48 meetings between Flagstaff, the site of the inaugural meeting in 1964, and Ogden as they faced off every year from 1964 to 2011. The expansion of the Big Sky Conference in 2012 created an unbalanced schedule, with the series on hold in 2012 and 2013 before returning to Ogden in 2014. Skipping a meeting in 2017, Northern Arizona hosted in 2018 before Weber State served as the home team in 2019 and the Spring 2021 season.

Once again skipping a meeting during the Fall 2021 season, the departure of Southern Utah to the WAC returned Northern Arizona and Weber State to annual meetings. Resetting the unbalanced schedule of the 12-team Big Sky, the conference paired Northern Arizona and Weber State together as one of two regular opponents. The Lumberjacks also face Northern Colorado each season while the Wildcats play Idaho State annually.

Weber State will host Northern Arizona on Oct. 7 in 2023 while the series returns to Flagstaff in 2024 with the Lumberjacks hosting on Nov. 2, a potential Homecoming Weekend.

The Red Rock Rivalry Trophy was hand crafted by local Flagstaff artist Joshua Meyer who is no stranger to the NAU Athletic Department as he is also the artist who created the Honing Stone, the department's visual and symbolic representation to "FINISH" strong, which is present at all home Lumberjack Athletic events. Meyer, spending time in Utah and calling Flagstaff home, used known elements common to both institution's geographical regions to build the trophy, featuring carved red rock at the top and then wood and steel to round out the base.
This weekend's 55th meeting between the schools will tie Weber State with Idaho State for the most common opponent in Northern Arizona's program history. With the Bengals not on the Lumberjacks' schedule in 2023, the Wildcats will soon claim and continue to hold the distinction of Northern Arizona's most common opponent under the Big Sky's current schedule plan.

Northern Arizona trails Idaho State, Montana and Montana State, the three other charter members of the Big Sky, as Weber State's most frequent opponent.

Saturday's kickoff between the teams in the inaugural Red Rock Rivalry Trophy game is scheduled for 1 p.m. MST and is available to stream on ESPN+.

It will be interesting to see where we land next week. A seed is far from guaranteed - two of the three top national writers have us playing in the first round.

Hero Sports
1. Sac State
2. SDSU
3. Montana State
4. NDSU
5. Samford
6. William & Mary
7. Weber State
8. Holy Cross

College Sports Madness
1. Sac State
2. SDSU
3. Montana State
4. NDSU
5. Holy Cross
6. Samford
7. William & Mary
8. Incarnate Word

STATS
1. South Dakota State
2. Sacramento State
3. Montana State
4. North Dakota State
5. Samford
6. Holy Cross
7. William & Mary
8. Incarnate Word

I think having Incarnate Word above us is egregious. They beat Nevada, one of the worst teams in FBS and a Southern Illinois team that has disappointed all year. The loss to Southeastern Louisiana is ugly and should disqualify them from seed consideration IMO. The rest of their wins are unimpressive. Southland is tissue soft.

We are better than Holy Cross and it’s not very close. But it’s hard to argue with a perfect record and an FBS win.

If William & Mary wins they finish 10-1 with an FBS win over putrid Charlotte. Their strength of schedule is 50th - Weber’s is 12th. But it’s hard to imagine the #3 Big Sky team slotting in ahead of the #1 CAA team. We should probably be rooting for Richmond to beat W&M Saturday. They’d be 9-2 with losses to Elon and Virginia.

Samford is undefeated against a weak FCS schedule and a loss to Georgia, which artificially pumps up their strength of schedule to a respectable 18th. They have a tough game vs Mercer this week, hopefully we can get some help.

AlumniWSU said:
???? November 14 dated online STATS Poll shows Weber State #7. :coffee:

Maybe STATS is the wrong name to use. I was referring to Craig Haley’s Bracketology:

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/11/fcs-football-bracketology-projecting-the-playoff-field-before-week-12/

Computer ratings have Weber as high as 3rd to 10th in the FCS. A large margin of victory and some losses by a few select teams will land Weber with a good seed.

Who do we want to win/lose in the Sky?

Will a UC Davis victory make the Weber win over them a higher quality win? Will the same be true for Montana over MSU?

I just finished watching the NAU/UNC game to get an idea of where NAU is at right now. Wow, that is a couple hours of my life I would like back. Both teams shot themselves in the foot several times. They both tried to lose, but NAU was most successful and lost 20-21.

Here is what I saw with the NAU offense. They have an adequate running game, comparable to ISU's. You can't sleep on it. Their QB is mobile and good with the short passes if you give him time. He is much like the QB for EWU. He is short but maybe a bit faster on his feet. If rushed, he will throw errant passes and make mistakes. He is dangerous on the scramble.

On defense they are vulnerable to the run game. More so when it is bounced to the outside or cut back. They are also vulnerable to play action and RPO sorts of plays. They are overly aggressive to the ball and that can be used against them, much like the UM game. Their pass D was vulnerable to the slant and crossing paterns. Screen passes were also good against them.

On STs, their KOs went to about the goal line and their coverage was mediocre. Place kicker looks to have about a 45 yard max. Punt team was shakey and had one blocked. Their punt return team gave up a fake punt for a first down. Special teams did not seem to be a strength of thiers.

I feel that our O can have a big game against them. Our RBs will have a chance at a huge game. In the passing game we just need to do a lot of play action and RPO. We need to take care of the ball and turn them over as much as possible on D. :coffee:

The Dan said:
Montana State is a legit title contender with their run game. Absolutely pummeling Montana today.

:thumb: Interesting sky high long snap by UM that resulted in 1 easy TD for Bobcats, as the Grizzly punter tried to get the ball in the end zone but a MSU player pounced on it...announcer: "shades of Weber State".

Quite the great college football atmosphere there, 20+K fans in 20 degree weather, ESPN College Game Day was there...sure wished that could be the case here in O town, but nope, different environment. Montana's are at the top of the BSC showcasing--football-wise. Realize it helps to be the only big game in-state, with no competition.

Grizzlies still might be lucky enough to get into the playoffs, probably not, but if it happens because of today's FCS games results, they would likely have the best bid to host a first round game.

Whew!! The Wildcats barely won with a late field goal...no style points there. MSU, Idaho won impressively, Sacramento St has a TD lead over Davis. Now wait for what the committee decides tomorrow. :coffee:

What a game! I thought the lack of red zone execution, passing up a FG, the fumble, and the fake punt on Weber State’s own 16 would be too much. You have to credit Barron and the offense for moving down the field. Sure NAU went a little bit prevent and allowed the decent chunks of pick ups, but the Offense executed, and Thompson hit a clutch FG. Even if it was a chip shot, those can be missed under pressure.

I was surprised the Wildcats passed up a 3rd quarter FG. Had they kicked that (would have made it 27-21 at the time), the next FG would have made it a 30-21 game would have played out a lot differently. I still thought when the Wildcats started at midfield with a six-point lead, they were going to drive to get points and put the game in the 14-17 point win I thought it would end when all was said and done, but the fumble and the highly questionable fake punt sure made things exciting.

The NAU/Weber State games always seem to be nail biters. The Lumberjacks are especially tough at home. Montana State had to kick a last second FG to win at Flagstaff.

Congratulations to Coach Hill on getting his first win in Flagstaff, and congratulations to the team and staff on a great season!

I’m optimistic the Wildcats get a bye. They played an incredibly tough schedule and lost a fluke game in Bozeman and a tight game vs Sac State. Hopefully the committee realizes that. Either way, playoff football coming to Ogden!

Go Wildcats!

Wow, a game full of mistakes, and for some reason WSU has a hard time stopping teams in the first half but then plays lock down D in the second half. Really tried to give it away today. I think we are the worst good team or the best not great team in the country, because of all the huge mistakes.

None of the other teams that are competition for a bye lost, and none were particularly close except Sac at Davis. There is a lot that goes into choosing seeds, and our SOS and the USU win help a bunch, but having a D2 win and the only big wins being close contests with UM and Davis, along with close losses to Sac and MSU, may not be enough. We will see tomorrow.

Tube Socks said:
Wow, a game full of mistakes, and for some reason WSU has a hard time stopping teams in the first half but then plays lock down D in the second half. Really tried to give it away today. I think we are the worst good team or the best not great team in the country, because of all the huge mistakes.

None of the other teams that are competition for a bye lost, and none were particularly close except Sac at Davis. There is a lot that goes into choosing seeds, and our SOS and the USU win help a bunch, but having a D2 win and the only big wins being close contests with UM and Davis, along with close losses to Sac and MSU, may not be enough. We will see tomorrow.

I think the schedule was the 5th or 6th toughest in FCS…and that is with Western Oregon who replaced James Madison who cancelled the game as they jumped up to FBS. I’m sure no FCS teams were wanting to play the Wildcats or were available for that matter that late…hope that is taken into consideration by the committee. I bet most of the non-Big Sky schools would have tripped up along the way with the Wildcats schedule.

If they don’t get the bye, they should get a favorable opponent from back East and not have to play a tough Big Sky team out of geographical convenience. I still think the Wildcats deserve and will get the bye. Hopefully USU win tonight to help that win look even better.

Tube Socks said:
I think we are the worst good team or the best not great team in the country, because of all the huge mistakes.

Been thinking that exact thought much of the season. This team could have been one of the best Jay Hill teams if they could have figured out how to stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Latest posts

Back