• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

EWU

Chex

I’m thinking EWU could be tired and dinged up a bit from last two games. Hoping Weber State sharpens their game and isn’t rusty from a week off. I think Weber State wins a tight game 31-21.

Chex said:
I’m thinking EWU could be tired and dinged up a bit from last two games. Hoping Weber State sharpens their game and isn’t rusty from a week off. I think Weber State wins a tight game 31-21.
I really don't see our D giving up 21 points to them. Their O is certainly not that much better than USU's. As long as our O doesn't turn it over, I don't see us giving up more than 10 points to them. If our O takes care of the ball, I can see the score being closer to 45-10. Our O simply needs to not stop themselves. Howver, this is a do or die game for them. They will pull out all the stops. We just need to punch back when we get punched in the face. I have a feeling that this is going to be a breakout game for our O. :coffee:

Their O is certainly not that much better than USU's.

Gotta disagree with you there, Bonner was completely washed. Talkington is playing at a much higher level than Bonner was when we played USU. Keeping them to 10 points or less would be a huge accomplishment.

On the other side of the ball, I will be severely disappointed if we don’t run for 200+ yards.

The Sagarin predictor has Weber as a 15 point favorite and 83% probability of winning. EW has had the most difficult schedule to date in the Big Sky so this stat is misleading IMO. EW defense will be tough and their offense will be able to score. Weber will need a solid start and can’t afford to get behind early in the game.
This game will be closer than we want. My guess is Weber 34 EW 27.

Eastern and the Cats have had some very interesting games over the years. Just like last year when we went up to Cheney and beat then #2 Eastern thanks in part to the Eags missing a chip shot PAT. The Cats have won 3 straight in this series, two of those were thanks to our defense. Last year the offense actually decided to show up while the defense took the day off.

I feel like we finally have the team capable of blowing Eastern out, but I just dont see it happening. We are playing arguably the best offensive team we have seen yet. Cant say for certain how good Eastern's defense is but they are playing for their lives right now. We are going to get their best, so we better bring our best.

Hoping we got some kids back from injury.

Eastern’s defense is objectively bad. They gave up 550 yards and 29 points at home against Tennessee State. Same Tennessee State that just lost at home to a D2.

I rewatched the MSU/EWU game to get a better understanding of what EWU was doing to score 35 on MSU. In the first half EWU was attacking the edges with their run game and quick hitting passes. Their first two TDs came on #23, their best running back, scoring on big chunk plays. One on the right side and one on the left. In the second half MSU made the adjustment of spreading their DEs a bit wider and that aspect of EWU's game was nuetralized. Both teams had good interior D linemen. MSU also made a big effort to take away the quick hitting passes to the outside. To EWU's credit, they then ran some effective post patterns. EWU's QB is short on one end, but MSU's pass rush wasn't getting their hands up in the passing lanes. Gunner seemed to be effective when he was scrambling or on the run. Under pressure, he did throw up some questionable passes.

MSU probably could have dominated this game if they had just stuck to their off tackle running game. The MSU O mostly stopped themselves with bad penalties and ill advised passes. When MSU tossed an interception in the endzone, EWU could have run the 3:46 off the clock and won the game with a little ball control. However, their top running back put the ball on the carpet on the first play. MSU used 3 running plays off tackle to win it.

Our keys to stop EWU will be to take away the edge running game, pressure their QB/get hands up, and get the ball when he throws it up for grabs. I will be disapointed if we don't come away with at least 2 interceptions and 1 fumble recovery. 4 or 5 sacks also seems about right.

On O, we need to run off tackle and bounce some runs to the outside. We should run a bunch. I feel that we can pass against their secondary as well. Just keep the passing game simple.

We may get a few chances for some return yards. Probably not on kickoffs, but certainly on punts and interceptions.

Against MSU, their punter was quite vulnerable to getting blocked. We could see that.

I think that I will stick to my prediction. :coffee:

That missed FG looms large. Let’s hope the Wildcats can make some adjustments and pull away in the second half.

D Line hasn’t pressured Talkington at all and they aren’t getting off blocks in the run game. Not good enough.

Big mistake by Barron. Our weaknesses are glaring again against a subpar EWU. Momentum is on EWU’s side. Barron needs to step it up if the Wildcats want to get the win.

Awesome drive. Barron did great with big passes and took the roughing the passer. That showed some guts and got the points that should put the game away!

Seemed like our D took a little longer to work the bye week rust off. It was a different game once they got in the flow.

Our O still hasn't peaked yet. That's probably a good thing. We are showing glimpses of what we can be and those glimpses are really good. our O is lightyears ahead of where we were last year.

Special teams had a great game.

Heading into the second half of the season, I feel good about where we are at. It only gets harder from here on out. :coffee:

Gotta give credit to the kicker for making the 49 yard FG. Big kick after the miss before halftime. A miss then would have put EWU in decent field position tied at 21. Instead EWU trailed and fumbled deep in their own field and it was smooth sailing from there. Barron and the kicker responded well after the missed kick and the unforced fumble. Just hope the clean games come up against the big teams coming up.

Latest posts

Back