• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Clarkin and Seng enter the transfer portal

Was hoping Clarkin would stay. Always good to have size depth. Good luck to him and Seng!

Interesting note. Zach Chappell seems really excited about being coached by DP. That’s great because he’s currently the lead guard for this upcoming year unless there’s a high impact transfer coming that’s yet to be announced

https://twitter.com/verbalcommits/status/1516509133138276361?s=21&t=duHUROtv3iVz07h0AOFhUA

Not unexpected with the number of other quality bigs DP is bringing in

GreenArmySwarm said:
https://twitter.com/verbalcommits/status/1516509133138276361?s=21&t=duHUROtv3iVz07h0AOFhUA

Writing was on the wall, not a big loss. Would have had trouble seeing the floor with these new bigs. Komagum was so frustrating to watch at times, wish him the best.

Kadeezy said:
GreenArmySwarm said:

Writing was on the wall, not a big loss. Would have had trouble seeing the floor with these new bigs. Komagum was so frustrating to watch at times, wish him the best.

6 pts, 7 rebounds a game. Only one of the recruited Bigs is proven. (UCR player.)

movielover said:
Kadeezy said:
GreenArmySwarm said:

6 pts, 7 rebounds a game. Only one of the recruited Bigs is proven. (UCR player.)

Hunter Marks is literally a conference all-honorable mention player. Starter on an NCAA tournament team. Averaged 11+ points on 42%FG from the 3 this past season.

Best of luck to Komagum. In all honesty I was disgusted that Katz/Laird gave him the booster email list so that he could air his grievances regarding his vax situation with the admin last season directly to us supporters. The coaches should have never allowed anything like that to happen.

That said, he is a rim protector with awful hands that has some potential. I thought he could have learned a lot on and off the court had he stuck around. Not a big loss IMO. I trust Patrick will use this available scholarship for the better.

I thought Komagum would have been a good compliment to McRae at the five. Maybe he felt his minutes would be limited with the Oklahoma transfer or maybe he was encouraged to transfer to open up another scholarship. The Oklahoma transfer is not proven and I think Marks is more of a wing player than a post even though he has good height. I think his Big Sky experience would have been helpful. As for the vax situation I am glad he was finally cleared to play. If he was at Oklahoma last year it would not have been an issue as students were not required to get vaccinated to attend classes and even those unvaccinated were not required to wear a mask.

https://twitter.com/verbalcommits/status/1518974266418507776?s=21&t=FnqA9Dp66I2YWTFDaSsdJQ

Greene was one of the better players in limited minutes last season. Thought he could have really fit in DP’s system. Best of luck to him

Transfer portal, along with the extra Covid year for some players, is changing everything. High school seniors who would have received a D1 scholarship are being forced to go to a lower division and hope to transfer up or go the JC route. Players like Marcus no longer have the time to develop. If they do not have a clear path to playing time their sophomore year, that will lead to a starting role their junior year, they almost have to transfer. If not they risk having more large school drop downs, or D2 players moving up, transfer in each year, which keeps them on the bench. Their best path to a role at a D1 is to go JC their sophomore year where they can get major minutes and then transfer as a junior to a team that needs them. If they wait till after their sophomore season to transfer it is doubtful another D1 would take them after two years of limited minutes and their only opportunities would be in lower divisions. Players transferring in are only going to do so if they expect a big role. So with the Oregon State transfer having two years and Chappell returning and a couple more scholarships most likely going to more transfers, the opportunity for both Marcus and Chris Holley did not look promising. Holley might be staying but that could change if another experienced guard or two transfer in. This scenario is playing out all over college basketball. The days of freshman and sophomore’s developing and waiting to get their opportunity is probably a thing of the past and if we get a freshman that stands out in year one they are likely going to get recruited away by a larger school. Not a fan of the portal.

Do we think any of these guys are staying? Seng was posting Sac State workouts two weeks ago. Haven’t seen a peep from Clarkin or Komagum. They might be in that big portal group that never find a new home…

I don’t think Seng or Clarkin were given the option to stay and when they brought in three transfers and a freshman that all play the 4 & 5 position Komagum could see the writing on the wall. I believe Komagum has multiple options. I could see Clarkin dropping a level, although it is possible another D1 could be intrigued by his height and him having three years left. I think Seng will have to drop a level if he wants playing time and possibly a scholarship or play his sophomore year at a junior college to improve his opportunities.

Komagum transferring to Southeastern Louisiana. Leaving the Nest for a 7500 seat arena. https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jonathan-komagum

Maybe another scholarship just opened, Deshaun Highler is leaving now, no big loss here.
https://twitter.com/11deshaun/status/1528845113677467648?s=21&t=WcwSCQlQz569sUdzl84TWw

He was never returning. One scholarship left. Would not be a surprise if we see another transfer out. Three transfer D1 guards coming in. Two with two years eligibility and one with three years. Holley has to be wondering what his opportunity to get on the court will be. If the next recruit is a wing Hardee has to wonder the same. With the portal I think if your a sophomore without a clear path to playing time you have to consider a move to a JC to get playing time and develop your game if you want to bounce back to D1. If you sit the bench for two years no D1 is going to take a shot at you as a junior and your only option is to drop down a level or two to get on the court. In my opinion transfer portal is bad for college basketball. One Bay Area kid is transferring to his fourth team.

Best of luck to these players in the portal.

I'm a big fan of the portal. If coaches can bounce from program to program then I have no issue with players doing it too. There should be some rule set to tamp down some of the egregious moves.

SDHornet said:
If coaches can bounce from program to program then I have no issue with players doing it too.

It’s cool that you have a different opinion, but the reasoning cited above is a false equivalence.

These coaches aren’t student-athletes and are fully employed in their profession. Once the student-athlete graduates from school and becomes a paid professional, then they should have the same options.

But as amateur student-athletes — whether it be in HS or college — they shouldn’t be treated as a paid professional adult that’s already gone through the system.

In short, these coaches and student-athletes aren’t peers and shouldn’t be viewed as being on the same playing field. The coaches are mature paid professional adults. The student-athlete is still working their way toward that level.

And until they graduate and/or become paid professionals — they should be treated as amateurs.

Fair points, but I disagree...but more importantly so does SCOTUS. The argument of "amateurism" vs "professionalism" with respect to "student-athletes" has been settled. If these athletes find people/schools willing to pay them for their services, then all power to them. I'm not going to get in the way of someone getting paid to play.

To steer this back on topic, I'm fine with some rules limiting the use of the portal. Here is where I'd start:
1. No change to grad transfers. You graduate and want to bounce elsewhere so long as you still have eligibility, cool.
2. Anytime a HC leaves, any and all players from that HC's roster are eligible to transfer out via the portal. This includes HC termination, does not include HC retirement. Does not apply for assistant coach changes.
2. Transfer following a serious injury is a no questions asked approval pending doctor verification.
3. No questions asked if you want to transfer somewhere to be closer to family. Must be to a school within 150 miles of a blood relative.
4. No questions asked if transferring due to loss of scholarship for non-academic and/or disciplinary actions.
5. Hardship transfers must petition to a review board/panel to verify legitimacy.
6. No transfer for folks just looking to bounce around for more playing time. These folks can recycle through the JC ranks like the old days. This also makes it harder for former teammates trying to recruit each other to jump to a program together. Also makes it harder for coaches to recruit active players currently on a roster.

SDHornet said:
Fair points, but I disagree...but more importantly so does SCOTUS. The argument of "amateurism" vs "professionalism" with respect to "student-athletes" has been settled.

Not settled at all.

Just like how they seemingly are deciding they might have been wrong on Roe v. Wade and might be changing it.

IDC what the current ruleset is. There is clearly a difference between someone in school working toward a degree and the start of their professional career versus someone already through that process and already working in their profession.

If someone can’t recognize that distinction that’s on them.

So circling back to the point, stating that because a professional coach can move around to other jobs a student-athlete should be able to do the same is a false equivalence. They are not the same. And shouldn’t be considered the same. The student-athlete isn’t a professional or an employee.

What’s next, allow ALL collegiate student athletes to purchase alcohol since the coaches and upper-classman can? I mean, let’s make it all equal, right?

Or we can just acknowledge the differences and legislate accordingly.

No, it's settled. The highest court in the land says so in unanimous fashion. Good luck getting a unanimous decision overturned.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday unanimously ruled in favor of college athletes seeking unlimited benefits tied to education in a landmark case that enhances players' ability to earn compensation while simultaneously diminishing the NCAA's power. The Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA could not limit such benefits for athletes who play Division I basketball or football.

"The NCAA and its member colleges maintain important traditions that have become part of the fabric of America ... but those traditions alone cannot justify the NCAA's decision to build a massive money-raising enterprise on the backs of student athletes who are not fairly compensated," wrote Justice Brett Kavanaugh in his concurring opinion. "Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different.

"The NCAA is not above the law."

The Supreme Court ruled 9-0 in favor of the appellees in Alston v. NCAA, who previously won a Northern District of California Circuit Court decision. The loss is the biggest legal defeat for the NCAA since the NCAA v. Board of Regents case in 1984 that allowed schools to monetize the rights to televised football games.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...llowing-unlimited-benefits-tied-to-education/

Latest posts

Back