• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

CIT Final Four

SLenz44 said:
Brian said:
I really like the look of the new arena at PSU.
Would be nice to have something similar that doesn't feel like a high school gym:

http://pamplinmedia.com/images/artimg/00003567457095.jpg

Maybe after the new expansion to the university center we can talk them into a new project. A new area would be awesome though

The question is where does the money come from?

One way to drum up revenue, is merchandise sales. Before you crucify me for blasphemy hear me out.

How much of merch sales are to UNC alums or Greeley-area residents? I would guess all or close to it.

That's a small pool of potential customers.

What if we had something about our merch that distinguished it from other schools, bringing UNC additional money and national exposure?

An article by the NCAA is on point: "There are, after all, 76 U.S. college teams known as the Eagles. Tigers was the right call for another 46 schools and Bulldogs fit for 40. Solid, sturdy and safe.... But today we're focusing on those who chose to live on the fringes when they named their teams. Birds of a different feather who have drawn attention to their school by taking a chance and picking a name that makes a sports fan look twice and ponder the meaning."

UC-Santa Cruz sells quite a bit of merch because their nickname/mascot is banana slug, and as ridiculous as that sounds, that is unique and appealing to fans AND non-fans alike. Google images for Sammy the Slug. He's a marketing dream.

And he's revered by the student body. In 1980 UC-Santa Cruz administration tried to change the slug mascot to something generic (the Lions), but the student body revolted and Slugs was reinstated.

And it was good the students spoke up: "The Banana Slug has attracted a good deal of national attention over the years. In 2008, ESPN named it one of the 10 best college basketball mascots. Four years earlier, Reader's Digest named it the best. People magazine once dedicated a full-page spread to the Santa Cruz Banana Slug movement. The National Directory of College Athletics named it the best college mascot and Sports Illustrated once named the Banana Slug the nation's best college nickname."

Money builds new things, hires better coaches, and retains the good ones so they don't jet.

With this in mind, what about a change from Bears to something with broader marketing appeal?

What about the Northern Colorado Bearadactyls?

Obviously there's no such thing as a Bearadactyl, some kind of hybrid between a Bear and a Pterodactyl, the giant dinosaur with wings. But it's a mascot, it doesn't need to be real. It relates to the current nickname Bears. It's unique. It's family friendly (kids love dinosaurs AND bears). And for those fond of the intimidating aspect of a Bear, just imagine if bears could fly.

This simple tweak could open up national opportunities and create revenue to make positive changes at UNC, where otherwise there would be none due to lack of funding. This is the bottom line, isn't it?

Recently there was talk of CSU stealing our basketball coach by dangling more cheddar. And with our womens appearance in the NCAA tournament, how long until they come for Coach Etheridge? Above in this post are complaints about the sub-par quality of our "high school" basketball arena, and there are numerous posts in the football thread bemoaning the track around the field and insufficient coaching, calling for upgrades, etc. Additional money would combat all of these problems and make UNC better.

Just a thought.

Heck, I would just be happy if UNC could have a Colorado presence. If we could have something that's uniquely Colorado that could actually have more nationwide appeal. The problem we have is that we are so closely identified with the feedlots and the northeastern plains that outside of prairie dogs I am not sure what else there is.

They could rebrand UNC with the Colorado flag colors and create more items like this:
https://www.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10001&categoryId=10031&productId=75854608&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&langId=-1&top_category=10029&parent_category_rn=544256&storeId=212905

The Colorado flag is very unique and I see it quite a bit around the country on hats and shirts (even here in Maryland).

Brian said:
I really like the look of the new arena at PSU.
Would be nice to have something similar that doesn't feel like a high school gym:

http://pamplinmedia.com/images/artimg/00003567457095.jpg

Maybe it is just me, but I think this drawing of the new PSU gym doesn't look like much. It looks like a cramped space and not very interesting with no seating behind the baskets. We need something like what Weber has for their basketball program or Southern Utah's 5300 seat "America First Event Center"

http://suutbirds.com/facilities/?id=2

Brian said:
Heck, I would just be happy if UNC could have a Colorado presence. If we could have something that's uniquely Colorado that could actually have more nationwide appeal. The problem we have is that we are so closely identified with the feedlots and the northeastern plains that outside of prairie dogs I am not sure what else there is.

They could rebrand UNC with the Colorado flag colors and create more items like this:
https://www.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10001&categoryId=10031&productId=75854608&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&langId=-1&top_category=10029&parent_category_rn=544256&storeId=212905

The Colorado flag is very unique and I see it quite a bit around the country on hats and shirts (even here in Maryland).

With more funding, we most likely would win more, and have more presence in Colorado as a result.

The Colorado flag you're seeing around the country is code for being pro-marijuana. Our state flag is the modern day Grateful Dead logo. Given that Greeley is foregoing vast amounts of tax revenue to take a teetotaler stance on the issue (while adjacent Garden City, etc. rake in the dough from Greeley residents who then return to Greeley), it may be a hard sell to add the state flag in any way to UNC events beyond hanging it, as crazy as that sounds.

I think you hit the nail on the head: there are no compelling local options to choose from besides feedlots and prairie dogs. That's why we had to be Lions, Tigers, or Bears. There was simply no other choice.

My point was that there is another choice. It's just a nickname/mascot, and doesn't necessarily have to be tied literally to Greeley. So we could make it something that makes money and change our programs for the better.

Campbell University in North Carolina goes by the Fighting Camels, but there are no camels in North Carolina, outside of zoos. While I'm not a fan of Fighting Camels, this is the basic idea. Look at the popularity of Ninja Turtles.

Latest posts

Back