• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Campbell to TCU

Not a surprise given the massive turnaround from 3 wins 2 seasons ago to a regular season title, BSC tournament title, first ever trip to the Dance plus numerous player and coaching awards along the way. I thought he would hold out until a Pac12 spot but TCU no doubt rolled out the red carpet for him. It's not a bad thing that Hornet coaches are getting poached by power conferences.

https://twitter.com/SacStateWBB/status/1638321393153740801?cxt=HHwWgsDQrY-ovrwtAAAA

I trust Orr will do his due diligence and hire another quality coach. The amazing thing about these last few years for Hornet fans is seeing all the excuses as to why we can't have successful programs get completely shattered.

SACRAMENTO -- Sacramento State head women's basketball coach Mark Campbell announced Tuesday that he will be stepping down from his position with the Hornets to take the head coaching job at TCU.

A national search for his successor will begin immediately.

"I would like to thank Coach Campbell for his leadership in directing our women's basketball program to new heights," Director of Athletics Mark Orr said. "He recruited and developed champion student-athletes on and off the basketball court. Sacramento State is committed to building upon the foundation of success that Mark has established. We wish Mark and his family the very best in his next journey."

Added Campbell, "I couldn't be more grateful for the last two seasons at Sacramento State. As a staff, we saw a tremendous opportunity to build this program into something special and we achieved something that had never been done before. I would like to thank everyone — the administration, the staff, and the fans — for their support of our program, but especially the group of amazing young women that I have had the honor to coach over the last two years, watching them grow and reach their goals both on and off the court.

"I am grateful to Athletics Director Mark Orr for his leadership in helping us succeed during my time at Sacramento State and the program is in great hands moving forward."

Engineering the most successful turnaround in school history, Campbell leaves the Hornets after taking the reins of a program that won just three games two seasons ago and turning Sacramento State into a 25-game winner and NCAA Tournament qualifier in 2022-23.
https://hornetsports.com/news/2023/3/21/womens-basketball-campbell-steps-down-at-sacramento-state-to-become-head-coach-at-tcu.aspx

SDHornet said:
Not a surprise given the massive turnaround from 3 wins 2 seasons ago to a regular season title, BSC tournament title, first ever trip to the Dance plus numerous player and coaching awards along the way. I thought he would hold out until a Pac12 spot but TCU no doubt rolled out the red carpet for him. It's not a bad thing that Hornet coaches are getting poached by power conferences.

Not a surprise that he left. But there is something of a surprise in where he went. All the signals we were tracking seemed to indicate that he would go to Moraga-St. Mary's. I think even the UOP board (interested because they're in the same conference as Moraga-St. Mary's) had him pegged for there.

Not surprised he is moving on so fast. Until we get a better facility men’s and women’s basketball will be looked at as a jumping stone unless we have a coach with local ties. Perfect timing for Campbell. He used the portal to perfection. His two conference mvp’s were one year transfers using their fifth year of eligibility.

Seeing the Campbell press conference and watching our old coaching staff in such awe of the facilities was wild. Private jets, car service, amazing arena. I happy for them, but we will always be the feeder school until we improve our facilities.

We definitely need an arena but an arena wouldn't have kept Campbell and his staff here. From what I heard, he quadrupled his salary and no doubt his staff got hefty raises as well. Like it or not that is the business side of D1 athletics.

It sucks to see the key players hitting the portal for better opportunities, but that's the game these days. The hard reality is that there is nothing left to prove for them here at Sac State.

I trust Orr will make a solid hire and keep this program competitive.

SDHornet said:
We definitely need an arena but an arena wouldn't have kept Campbell and his staff here. From what I heard, he quadrupled his salary and no doubt his staff got hefty raises as well. Like it or not that is the business side of D1 athletics.

It sucks to see the key players hitting the portal for better opportunities, but that's the game these days. The hard reality is that there is nothing left to prove for them here at Sac State.

I trust Orr will make a solid hire and keep this program competitive.

I was hoping someone from the staff would stay on for continuity's sake, but it was a complete departure. Don't blame Coach Campbell because that core has been successful and loyal for years.

All the assistant coaches will likely be able to buy townhouses or homes. Good for them.

Two players enter the portal?

Latest posts

Back