• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

#22 Wildcats vs UC Davis

AlumniWSU

Homecoming game: might be Davis Aggies best chance to exact revenge on Weber State Wildcats. Unranked now, they could knock off surprisingly ranked Wildcats.

Is it the last gasp for WSU (they lose, spoil homecoming, become ineligible for playoffs) or are they finally making some adjustments for improvement and it's the resurgent team fans have an upside hope for, and can salvage some more season wins?!

Anyone's guess. Expectations are :|

I hope they turn it around and make adjustments, but I highly doubt it being a backup QB has not seen any time this year. I hope Weisser can improve but if a junior hasn’t done so yet, it’s likely not to happen…so many improvements needed in many positions. It would be a monumental challenge.

The Dan said:
I’m not going to react well if the same QB starts again this week.

You and me both…but I think Mental will continue to only play Weisser if he is healthy.

Chex said:
The Dan said:

You and me both…but I think Mental will continue to only play Weisser if he is healthy.
In coach Hill's first year he came away with 2 wins.

Lets face reality. WSU football has never been a long term power in the BSC. Yes, we have had some very good years recently and it is hard to see it drop off. I'm glad we didn't judge coach Hill in his first outing and I don't think it fair to judge now either.

If we are not seeing it turn around by this time next year, then I would say it will be fair to judge.

Right now, I just want to enjoy football and the players we have in the program. I will try to keep realistic expectations for a first year coach. :coffee:

oldrunner said:
Chex said:
The Dan said:

Lets face reality. WSU football has never been a long term power in the BSC. Yes, we have had some very good years recently and it is hard to see it drop off. I'm glad we didn't judge coach Hill in his first outing and I don't think it fair to judge now either.

If we are not seeing it turn around by this time next year, then I would say it will be fair to judge.

Right now, I just want to enjoy football and the players we have in the program. I will try to keep realistic expectations for a first year coach. :coffee:

Fair to say we all want to enjoy, but knowing the eternal optimist you always are (& ignoring reality quite often), this post not too surprising? I was glad they hired Mental. He performed satisfactorily as OC last season. He was the best candidate of frankly a rather disappointing pool.

Different circumstances for comparison though, like comparing apples to oranges...after a ragged roller coaster ride under Sears, a lot of us hoped for anyone a bit successful to ride to the rescue. Along came Hill, who was a rare gem that was game to try. Don't think Weber State will get many like him with his credentials (as was seen when two other former assistants in high pay FBS assistant jobs declined interest last year).

Mental has started with better circumstances, sure there's loss of some talent & some injuries that are valid issues. But there's definite signs of some weak coaching, some stubbornness in adjustments on the fly. Sound familiar? Not knowing all the inside story, going to stop there.

HC Mental said it himself that brief spurts of good play won't win many games. Seems aware, but we're still waiting for the discipline & improvements to kick in against the good opponents. My expectations were admittingly high & now are lower. Doesn't mean that some of us true fans aren't going to criticize, & I'm not enjoying viewing the beatdowns that took place in the last two home games.

The hope lives on, wishing success to HC, staff, & team. All the while frequently reminded of all those roller coaster years of the past (and frustrations with some of the coaching, both FB & BB, because I want them to be successful & win) !! :coffee: :twocents:

oldrunner said:
Chex said:
The Dan said:

Two months ago you were expecting this team to make the playoffs…

Olds, you are a good friend, but are a bit off on this one. I get it, we need to stay positive. I'm all for that. We all know a couple of personnel changes could change the entire season. Personally, I think Weber is a QB and a WR away (I really want Weisser to succeed. I want all of these kids to, but sometimes that just doesn't happen on the field like we hope) from becoming really dangerous.

However, the scenarios confronting Jay and Mickey are absolutely different. Jay had to rebuild the program. Mickey was left with a very successful program and the cupboards fairly full. Weber won 10 games and was a handful of bad snaps away from 12 wins and another conference championship last year. Your comment is like someone telling me that watermelon can taste like chocolate. If only you think hard enough...it just might. :)

The good news...Weber's defense is stout. It bends more than in the past, but is dependable. MSU scored 14 late and NAU got a special teams TD and added a late TD. In both cases, the game wasn't out of reach. Weber just needs to generate more offense. What rubbed me the wrong way, was being down 10 and trying the same thing over and over and over again. Football wise, Mickey is a lot smarter than me, and so take this with a grain of salt, but if your guy isn't getting it done, try another guy. Change up the play calling. Do something different. Good coaching knows when to make adjustments.

Hopefully, things go better this week and we see the Cats take the next step. Heres hoping on Homecoming!

In Hill’s first year, he was 2-10, but he had his team staying in the whole game unlike Sears games being out of reach by halftime. It was scary there wasn’t a lot of interest in the vacancy. In hindsight, I wish Hill would have announced he was leaving earlier so Lamb could have applied before taking the Northern Colorado job.

I hope Mental succeeds, but the team is getting sloppier as the season goes on….and adjustments are definitely needed. It has been a giant mistake not to get a backup QB some playing time. Hope they can turn it around, but coach Mental needs to be the one to drive the change.

The Dan said:
oldrunner said:
Chex said:
The Dan said:

Two months ago you were expecting this team to make the playoffs…
You are absolutely right. A few weeks ago we all thought our team would do better than they have. I know that I had high expectations. It seems like the wheels fell off in the games after the UUs. Our QB play has been less than stellar, the O line hasn't lived up to billing, the receiving corp is showing their youth, The RB room got depleted by injuries, and the play calling seems quite different from last year. The defense has been okay, but they have also had some significant lapses that we are not used to seeing.

I have no expectations at this point and don't think we are a playoff team right now. I will still go to all the games and support the team, but things don't look good. My feelings are that Mental needs to hire an OC and try to be the best HC he can be. It's not too late to start building for next year. This team needs to improve in multiple ways if they want to get back to where we were. Start the process now.

:nod: Agree on your thoughts about hiring a OC, Mental as HC has enough load overseeing things, & there are some red flags needing extra attention. Not a fan usually of HCs being the coordinator also. Jay Hill may have handled DC too, but this fan feels the offense side suffered some & needed more attention (& a good OC some yrs.).

Also as several posts say, get a backup QB in for play experience. Predict there's at least another loss in store, hoping not, but it's time to look towards next season. :coffee:

Although I haven’t seen it in his interviews, Coach Mental’s overall coaching seems like a deer in headlights.

He can’t seem to adjust because it is overwhelming.

Band of Brothers fans will get this: it’s time to send in a Captain Spiers & relieve Captain Nixon. We have good players. It’s the leadership.

Felt sorry for the new QB… I mean 3 misque snaps in the 1st qtr?!

Did he even get any practice?

Idk. D was excellent, special teams kept us in but it doesn’t seem that Munoz was well prepared.

Again: 3 misque snaps, in the 1st qtr?

Answer: Coaching.

CrazyJ said:

Idk. D was excellent, special teams kept us in but it doesn’t seem that Munoz was well prepared.

Four year contract…so settle in for a lot of this. Untimely penalties again. Munoz unforced fumble out of bounds was the perfect play that reflects this season. Looking for bright spots…Munoz was looking like he was improving.:.of course defense and special teams set up the offense and it couldn’t deliver…maybe they need to get away from the run pass option. Mental might need to focus all his attention on coaching and bring in an OC…don’t think the offense could get worse.

Not like it mattered but what clown official calls an unsportsmanlike to end the game?

As Chief Wiggum said when his tie got caught in the hot dog roller, “Oh boy, things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.”

Hope Mental can put it together…but it isn’t looking good. Might as well test and experiment this year…only shot of a win is at Cal Poly.

Chex said:
CrazyJ said:

Four year contract…so settle in for a lot of this. Untimely penalties again. Munoz unforced fumble out of bounds was the perfect play that reflects this season. Looking for bright spots…Munoz was looking like he was improving.:.of course defense and special teams set up the offense and it couldn’t deliver…maybe they need to get away from the run pass option. Mental might need to focus all his attention on coaching and bring in an OC…don’t think the offense could get worse.

Not like it mattered but what clown official calls an unsportsmanlike to end the game?

As Chief Wiggum said when his tie got caught in the hot dog roller, “Oh boy, things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.”

Hope Mental can put it together…but it isn’t looking good. Might as well test and experiment this year…only shot of a win is at Cal Poly.

Glad for the QB changes but sure, the hesitation to do so before now prevented some in-game experience. Chances for O progress were sometimes negated by the prevailing undisciplined penalties! Wildcats likely end up 4-7 for the season. The tweaks on the field obviously will take time with this coaching staff.

Lower the bar of expectations for what appears like a return to the past (pre 2016) for the future of Weber State football. Not meaning negative or terrible, just more average, middle of the pack results. Hopefully there's more highs than lows but having been through years of following, there's familiarity.

Do wish for the best though. The effort is definitely there. :coffee: :twocents:

AlumniWSU said:
Chex said:
CrazyJ said:

Glad for the QB changes but sure, the hesitation to do so before now prevented some in-game experience. Chances for O progress were sometimes negated by the prevailing undisciplined penalties! Wildcats likely end up 4-7 for the season. The tweaks on the field obviously will take time with this coaching staff.

Lower the bar of expectations for what appears like a return to the past (pre 2016) for the future of Weber State football. Not meaning negative or terrible, just more average, middle of the pack results. Hopefully there's more highs than lows but having been through years of following, there's familiarity.

Do wish for the best though. The effort is definitely there. :coffee: :twocents:

I think we all got spoiled by success for a bit. I think we have to walk a fine line as far as expectations. We obviously all hoped Mental could pick up where Hill left off, but that obviously isn’t the case. It might have been asking a little too much from my perspective. Big Sky Football is really good FCS football where there is the slimmest of margins for error which makes the difference of winning and losing. You can see any team rise up and win. Idaho State rallied to beat EWU…which took Fresno State to 2OT. NAU almost beat Sac St. which beat Stanford (who beat a talented offensive Colorado team who beat TCU…and look what TCU did to Coach Hill’s defense). The point is it is damn good football and Mental’s brief career as a head coach is not enough to handle this off the bat. I have to be more patient as a fan and give him a chance to develop as a coach.

At the same time, we should not permanently shelve our expectations to be able to win a conference title and be a national contender either because it’s been proven it can be done. Mental has a contract that should allow him time to make strides and show he can become that kind of coach and get the title contender football back.

In the meantime, just hope to see the improvement from week to week. The effort was there…so that is good. Munoz was making strides…but hope he never fumbles again because he’s holding the football like a loaf of bread, 😂 fundamentally a lot of improvement to gain. Best to get out on the road. Honestly hoping Mental can be successful and develop as a coach as he develops the team. Being a Cubs fan has prepared me for this. 👍🏻

Latest posts

Back