Gabrielle Ludwig

Anything goes! Discuss Pro, College, and High School sports here.
iSac

Gabrielle Ludwig

Post by iSac » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:44 pm

The past couple mornings, Armstrong & Getty have talked about Gabrielle Ludwig, the 6’ 8”, 230#, 50 year old, transsexual basketball player. Gabrielle played men’s JC hoops as Robert Ludwig in 1980, and is now playing on the ladies’ team at Mission College in Santa Clara.

The balance of fairness and accommodating individual freedoms seems to have swung wildly to the later side in this case. Let the young ladies play college ball without having to take the court alongside someone who matured and developed as a man. I sure wouldn't want my daughter on that team.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... e/1744703/

A&G’s interviewed a Bay Area reporter who has been tracking the story at the 11:04 mark of: http://www.kste.com/cc-common/podcast/s ... _32666.mp3

Super Hornet
Admin

Re: Gabrielle Ludwig

Post by Super Hornet » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Wait a minute. You're saying this guy gets NEW eligibility merely because of a change of gender? That doesn't make sense.

The WTA went through this in the '80s, but the guy didn't amount to much on the court. For me, I'd have to see what he can do. It could be that this is a bunch of nothing (in THIS case) if he has no talent. Being aborn a guy does NOT necessarily mean that he's automatically better than a girl. Sure, there might be a strength issue involved, but if he can't shoot and can't run, he'll wash out fairly quickly. Might also want to keep an eye on hanky-panky.

Super Hornet
Admin

Post by Super Hornet » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Incidentally, the school's athletic website is down.

According to the state site, Ludwig has played all of six minutes in one game. She is 0-3 on FGs, has made 3-4 FTs, and has four rebounds. She played during their last game, at College of the Siskyous on 01 DEC. I'm not sure I buy the stats, though, because she is the only player recorded as having more than 1 minute, and that includes the starters on both teams. Any future impact remains to be seen.

iSac

Post by iSac » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Super Hornet wrote:You're saying this guy gets NEW eligibility merely because of a change of gender? That doesn't make sense.
Good question. Per the reporter in the the A&G interview, in CA someone receives a new birth certificate when they go through a sex change operation. Robert's/Gabrielle's time as a JC player is governed by Calif Community College athletic rules, and not rules at a national level like the NCAA. An interesting twist for sure.