New Women’s Basketball Head Coach

Talk about Hornet and College Basketball
HornetHope

Not sure if you all saw this, but the women’s program took a huge step forward with the new HC. The article is below, watch the YouTube interview. Exciting times ahead!

https://www.hornetsports.com/sports/wbk ... 0415unhv3a
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi
Green Laser

Sounds like a great hire!
Kadeezy

Orr really pulled out a hell of hire on this one! Campbell was A high major HC waiting to happen.
Super Hornet
Admin

I was unaware that Harkleroad was gone. I would have been more comfortable with the hire of Sherri Murrell or Gillian d'Hondt, though....
SDHornet

Kadeezy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:34 pm Orr really pulled out a hell of hire on this one! Campbell was A high major HC waiting to happen.
Agreed, very impressive hire. We'll see how our atrocious facilities impacts Campbell's rebuild efforts.

"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
Kadeezy

Imagine the utter shock of seeing Sac State’s facilities compared to Oregon’s lol...
Super Hornet
Admin

Kadeezy: You think this might be a spur to FINALLY getting a facilities upgrade? This mix of using that junior high gym and the Memorial Auditorium (also quite cramped, and with other issues) has GOT to go....
SDHornet

Golden 1 is always there for use. Not sure why both MBB and WBB haven't used it more to be honest. Probably harder to justify for WBB, but a game or 2 there would certainly benefit the program.
Super Hornet
Admin

SDHornet wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:54 am Golden 1 is always there for use. Not sure why both MBB and WBB haven't used it more to be honest. Probably harder to justify for WBB, but a game or 2 there would certainly benefit the program.
True that, SD, but the unfamiliarity (unless it were to be a "regular" home, which would not be feasible because the Kings would have scheduling priority) might mitigate any effects of a higher gate. Also, if COVID lasts much longer (yes, I know we're supposed to "officially" re-open the economy 15 JUN, but there have been statements from the Dictator indicating that he might backtrack that), given that the State Legislature has been using Golden 1 to facilitate social distancing between legislators and staff, I highly doubt that we'd get much traction in using it. Plus, the rent fees (given those bogus luxury suites) might well be prohibitive. I'd much rather have a 10K arena on or near campus that exclusively belongs to our team. But as a one-off (i.e. somehow we get a team like Gonzaga to actually complete a home-and-home contract without buying their way out of the return trip), it would be a nice deal if we could afford it....
SDHornet

Super Hornet wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:13 am
SDHornet wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:54 am Golden 1 is always there for use. Not sure why both MBB and WBB haven't used it more to be honest. Probably harder to justify for WBB, but a game or 2 there would certainly benefit the program.
True that, SD, but the unfamiliarity (unless it were to be a "regular" home, which would not be feasible because the Kings would have scheduling priority) might mitigate any effects of a higher gate. Also, if COVID lasts much longer (yes, I know we're supposed to "officially" re-open the economy 15 JUN, but there have been statements from the Dictator indicating that he might backtrack that), given that the State Legislature has been using Golden 1 to facilitate social distancing between legislators and staff, I highly doubt that we'd get much traction in using it. Plus, the rent fees (given those bogus luxury suites) might well be prohibitive. I'd much rather have a 10K arena on or near campus that exclusively belongs to our team. But as a one-off (i.e. somehow we get a team like Gonzaga to actually complete a home-and-home contract without buying their way out of the return trip), it would be a nice deal if we could afford it....
Wrong mentality. The purpose of using Golden 1 is to boost the profile of the program(s) to help with recruiting, scheduling, and outreach. I doubt there is any hope of covering the rental fees associated with Golden 1 so the admin should probably go in thinking of it as an added expenditure. If used, it would probably have to be a double header with MBB to get more bang for the buck.
josephpoint

A first ever Big Sky basketball title for Sac State would be a nice goal for Coach Campbell and his staff and players.

Then maybe a first ever Sac State basketball appearance in the NCAA Division I tourney would be another nice goal..

And filling tiny Hornet Gym with fans for weekend contests at least might be a good goal to shoot for as well.

Coach Campbell has been part of the huge growth of women's basketball in the Pac 12 conference over the past 5 to 10 years.

Really looking forward to seeing what he and his staff and players can generate this comeing season and beyond.
Kadeezy

If you follow the WBB social media accounts - it’s clear that this staff is not messing around. They are bringing in key transfers and overseas players that will have an immediate impact.

It’s early, but don’t be surprised if Campbell is only around for 2-3 years and then on to a Pac-12 gig after turning things around.

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah