BREAKING NEWS: SUU to Bolt Big Sky for the WAC

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
Super Hornet
Admin

The Missoulian is reporting that SUU may be about to join the WAC as part of efforts to re-certify the WAC as a football-playing league, which now includes D-II call-ups Tarleton State and Dixie State. That would bode well for the Sky in terms of scheduling OOC games (but not so well for the Sky in terms of SOS). The one fly in the ointment, as I see it, is the continued presence of FBS independent New Mexico State: if NMSU can't be persuaded to "pull an Idalol" and reclassify as FCS, will that put the kibosh on the idea of the WAC as an FCS conference?

In any event, this unofficial SUU move is earthshattering for the Big Sky, IMO....

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/b ... ceeab.html
GreenArmySwarm

I think Mark Orr might be one of the AD’s that received a call from the WAC.

If he and President N. are serious, I think there’s a path here. If the WAC can string this together (SUU and poaching some Southland schools) + a combination of Cal Poly and UCD joins + SAC joining as a football only member (WAC don’t necessarily need full members because they have schools who will never sponsor football to make up for football only members) and move olympic sports to the Big West, I’d love the idea! There’s a lot of moving parts here but the biggest hurdle is the BWC invitation.

There are rumors that UC Riverside are having talks about eliminating all sports due to budget problems that so many schools are currently experiencing. If that comes to play, then that’s the spot that’s the open spot that SAC would take over. The only problem that could hinder this scenario is the politics of CSU-UC even split in the conference.

If it comes to fruition, this would consolidate a lot of things for SAC.
Right now, men’s soccer plays in the Big West, baseball in the WAC, and football (plus other Olympic sports) Big Sky, rowing in AAC but let’s take that out of the picture at the moment. All sports except football will now be moved to the Big West and football will be played in the WAC.
Huge savings for travel (with the exception of Hawai’i trip). In this “bus league” we’d have natural rivalries against our “sister schools” in CA. Big Sky is a stable name at the FCS level when it comes to football, but at this level, it’s not going to generate any money (no TV deals). So, to keep up with the current D1 landscape, I don’t think this is as crazy as it would be.
Green Laser

GreenArmySwarm wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:26 pm I think Mark Orr might be one of the AD’s that received a call from the WAC.

If he and President N. are serious, I think there’s a path here. If the WAC can string this together (SUU and poaching some Southland schools) + a combination of Cal Poly and UCD joins + SAC joining as a football only member (WAC don’t necessarily need full members because they have schools who will never sponsor football to make up for football only members) and move olympic sports to the Big West, I’d love the idea! There’s a lot of moving parts here but the biggest hurdle is the BWC invitation.

There are rumors that UC Riverside are having talks about eliminating all sports due to budget problems that so many schools are currently experiencing. If that comes to play, then that’s the spot that’s the open spot that SAC would take over. The only problem that could hinder this scenario is the politics of CSU-UC even split in the conference.

Right now, men’s soccer plays in the Big West, baseball in the WAC, and football (plus other Olympic sports) Big Sky, rowing in AAC but let’s take that out of the picture at the moment. All sports except football will now be moved to the Big West and football will be played in the WAC.
Huge savings for travel (with the exception of Hawai’i trip). In this “bus league” we’d have natural rivalries against our “sister schools” in CA. Big Sky is a stable name at the FCS level when it comes to football, but at this level, it’s not going to generate any money (no TV deals). So, to keep up with the current D1 landscape, I don’t think this is as crazy as it would be.
I would be for this realignment. The football playing members would get to play each other every year, unlike the overcrowded Big Sky. Joining the Big West would also be beneficial. Playing fellow California schools that people actually know and have a connection through family or friends with would help create interest. It would also help promote to the Sac State brand throughout the state which would help recruiting for all sports. As you mentioned there would also be a savings in travel aside from Hawaii.
I don't think that the Hawaii travel would be that big of a deal considering some of the travel required in the BSC. Often long convoluted trips to remote locations in winter weather.
Having a Hawaii trip on the schedule would probably also help recruiting. Finally we would have an opportunity to play our main rivals the dungpilers and Poly twice a year and have it count in the league.
GreenArmySwarm

Green Laser wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:09 pm
GreenArmySwarm wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:26 pm I think Mark Orr might be one of the AD’s that received a call from the WAC.

I would be for this realignment. The football playing members would get to play each other every year, unlike the overcrowded Big Sky. Joining the Big West would also be beneficial. Playing fellow California schools that people actually know and have a connection through family or friends with would help create interest. It would also help promote to the Sac State brand throughout the state which would help recruiting for all sports. As you mentioned there would also be a savings in travel aside from Hawaii.
I don't think that the Hawaii travel would be that big of a deal considering some of the travel required in the BSC. Often long convoluted trips to remote locations in winter weather.
Having a Hawaii trip on the schedule would probably also help recruiting. Finally we would have an opportunity to play our main rivals the dungpilers and Poly twice a year and have it count in the league.
I hope Mark Orr and President N are seeing the same things we are seeing. And the fact that we just split the conference title in the BSC, it shows that we have what’s in place to win at the FCS level. If the WAC decides to go a different route (No.Co and NAU) instead of the CA schools, I wouldn’t mind staying in the BSC as a football only member either (SAC would have leverage in the negotiation) if other schools are leaving the conference.

The original scenario of WAC football being an FCS West Coast (CA-UT-TX) would also be better fit for SAC in my opinion. As of right now, schools like Montana and Eastern Washington are going into SAC’s backyard to plug CA athletes to play out of state. With the exception of WA lately, those other states don’t have much to offer when it comes to recruiting. At least with TX schools, a state with talent like CA, SAC can return the favor instead of it being a one way like the current set up. I know it gets cold in TX also, but nothing compared to MT and WA, so it’d fit the West Coast system that Taylor and Co.

Lots of moving parts at the end of the day. But there’s a lot of smoke when it comes to WAC and its commish wanting to transform the conference into a West Coast FCS football playing league, and where there’s smoke, there’s potential for fire!
GreenArmySwarm

GreenArmySwarm

More FCS realignment

Kadeezy

I guess we just remain content with our random affiliations?
Kadeezy

If it weren’t for a couple crappy facility issues, I’ve always dreamed of an FBS MW Conf with 6 games against divisional foes, three rotating foes, and three money games.

MWC - West

San Jose State
Nevada
San Diego State University
Fresno State University
University of Hawaii
Sacramento State
UC Davis

MWC - East

Boise State
Air force
University of Wyoming
Colorado State University
University of New Mexico
New Mexico State University
University of Nevada Las Vegas
GreenArmySwarm

Well, I think MWC as a full member might be a stretch, but...I think there might be a window for Baseball to sneak into that conference if Mark Orr can work some magic. Here's why...

A) With the new addition of the 3 baseball playing schools, the WAC 8 + 2 affiliates (SAC and No.Co*) will be sitting at 13 schools. *No. Co. is leaving the WAC in baseball for the Summit so now, with Sac, there's 12 members. More than likely, Orr will be content with just staying in the WAC because the baseball program is doing quiet well, but, if I was in his shoes...
I'd see if the Big West takes the program back. They're at 11 and SAC would make it an even 12 and have a travel partner for Davis. The only thing is, the Big West is pretty serious about the UC/CSU even split.

So, instead of the WAC, why not see if the Mountain West will take baseball as an affiliate only? Right now, out of their 11 full members, there are only 7 members who plays baseball. Adding SAC would make it an even 8 with natural rivalries with Nevada, SJSU, and SDSU. And Sac baseball is a nationally recognized program so the pitch wouldn't be nearly as difficult.

Ideally, it would be the Big West. Based on the fact that it would consoliate SAC's conference affiliation from three to two. Right now, the school's 4 main men's sports are split between 3 different conferences. Football/Basketball (Big Sky), Soccer (Big West), and Baseball (WAC). Bringing baseball to the Big West would bring that down to 2.
GreenArmySwarm

Kadeezy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:55 pm If it weren’t for a couple crappy facility issues, I’ve always dreamed of an FBS MW Conf with 6 games against divisional foes, three rotating foes, and three money games.

MWC - West

San Jose State
Nevada
Fresno State University
University of Hawaii
Sacramento State
UC Davis

MWC - East

Boise State
Air force
University of Wyoming
University of New Mexico
Well, I think MWC as a full member might be a stretch, but...I think there might be a window for Baseball to sneak into that conference if Mark Orr can work some magic. Here's why...

A) With the new addition of the 3 baseball playing schools, the WAC 8 + 2 affiliates (SAC and No.Co*) will be sitting at 13 schools. *No. Co. is leaving the WAC in baseball for the Summit so now, with Sac, there's 12 members. More than likely, Orr will be content with just staying in the WAC because the baseball program is doing quiet well, but, if I was in his shoes...
I'd see if the Big West takes the program back. They're at 11 and SAC would make it an even 12 and have a travel partner for Davis. The only thing is, the Big West is pretty serious about the UC/CSU even split.

So, instead of the WAC, why not see if the Mountain West will take baseball as an affiliate only? Right now, out of their 11 full members, there are only 7 members who plays baseball. Adding SAC would make it an even 8 with natural rivalries with Nevada, SJSU, and SDSU. And Sac baseball is a nationally recognized program so the pitch wouldn't be nearly as difficult.

Ideally, it would be the Big West. Based on the fact that it would consoliate SAC's conference affiliation from three to two. Right now, the school's 4 main men's sports are split between 3 different conferences. Football/Basketball (Big Sky), Soccer (Big West), and Baseball (WAC). Bringing baseball to the Big West would bring that down to 2.
Kadeezy

https://footballscoop.com/news/bryan-ha ... ails-show/

SD, got some spare time to PRA Orr’s emails? Lol
HornetHope

Kadeezy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:55 pm If it weren’t for a couple crappy facility issues, I’ve always dreamed of an FBS MW Conf with 6 games against divisional foes, three rotating foes, and three money games.

MWC - West

San Jose State
Nevada
Fresno State University
University of Hawaii
Sacramento State
UC Davis

MWC - East

Boise State
Air force
University of Wyoming
University of New Mexico
I see a different shake out. BSU and Air Force will most likely be gone in the next realignment. The State of New Mediocrity will probably see both schools not acceptable to MWC. At that point I think the CA and NV schools look to bounce rest of Rocky Mountain schools.
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi
SDHornet

SUU invite to the WAC is official. These typically don't go out unless they will be accepted. Would be a major coup if the WAC pulls SUU and the Southland TX schools.

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sport ... 491139002/
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
GreenArmySwarm

There's so much conference realignment that's about to happen at the FCS level
ASUN and WAC getting into the game. Southland is going to have defend their territory either through expansion or poaching of their own. From the surface level, two new conferences at the FCS level all on its own and Big Sky has competition in the West Coast.

Now if Boise leaves the MWC, that's the domino that might shake things up in G5 out West. The easy move for the MWC is probably just to add New Mexico State. They've been using them as a back up plan for the past decade and will probably finally use that card or just be content at 10 members.

Let's see if Mark Orr has any industry chops, because now would be the time to use it. If Pres. N. and Mark Orr has any FBS aspirations, can't think of a better time. Long shot, but it's there. There will need to be a lot of promises made when it comes to facility improvements but hey, why not us right? Took SJSU 10 plus years to fulfill their promise, so it's not an immediate thing. If it's the FCS where the school wants to stay, then now might be time to leverage this opportunity to negotiate better. No reasons for Cal Poly and Davis to have sweetheart deals with the Big Sky where SAC has to be tied down with restrictions
SDHornet

Excellent post.

Southland will be fine, there are potential D2 move ups in the Lone Star Conference that can backfill and the SLC is a pretty bloated conference as it stands now so expansion wouldn’t be a must if these schools bail for the WAC.

The shakeup is good for us. A FB only FCS conference certainly opens up options for us (FB in FCS WAC, oly in BW). Long term FBS options may be there, but it all depends on how the dominoes fall. I think the MW would take a couple CUSA TX programs before NMSU. I agree that this is a great opportunity for Nelsen and Orr to make a move if that is what their end game is.

Then you have the China Virus changing the thought process on realignment to add another layer to this. Interesting times.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
Super Hornet
Admin

GreenArmySwarm wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:13 pm More FCS realignment

Sounds like these programs may be planning to up stakes for FBS. This is where Liberty planted most programs not called "football" when they made the jump....
Super Hornet
Admin

Your idea breaks my heart, Kadeezy. As most people here who are also on the nationwide FCS board, I hate FBS with a passion, largely because they define people out for that monstrosity they have the audacity to call a "playoff" but is in reality nothing more than a money-making private invitational tournament. In other words, they define out the possibility of an upset by declaring that only certain leagues get bids. I like my idea of a resurrected PCAA at the FCS level much better, as it would provide for TWO FCS leagues on the Left Coast, thereby making adequate OOC scheduling MUCH easier.

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah