Kevin Thomson In The Portal???

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
GreenArmySwarm

Yeah, one would be an idiot to think all of this happens within the last few days.

Nevertheless, next man up. Week 2, let’s shock the CFB landscape.
Kadeezy

BSCfan

GreenArmySwarm wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:44 pm Yeah, one would be an idiot to think all of this happens within the last few days.

Sounds good to me! (Plus it'll be the shortest distance by far for me to travel to a Hornets game!)
BuckeyeHornetFan

Well, props to KT for landing at UW. Better landing spot than I gave him credit for. And with Jacob Eason gone, he should get a fair shot at the starting gig.

But if he doesn’t get it, was it worth it?

In poker terms, it seems to me he’s opted to draw for a belly buster straight flush instead of just being satisfied with a standard flush. Hope it works out for him.
BuckeyeHornetFan

Kadeezy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:08 pm Thomson did an interview where he tried to be painfully obvious that he just happened to enter the portal and UW out of nowhere offered him, yeaahhhhh righhhhhhtt lol
GreenArmySwarm wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:44 pm Yeah, one would be an idiot to think all of this happens within the last few days.

Agreed. I’m fairly confident some tampering occurred. Far too convenient, and coincidental.

Makes sense now why the players and coaches were so certain he was gone.
BuckeyeHornetFan

Kadeezy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:35 pm
I’ll bet those top 25 caliber programs he reportedly spurned were only seeking 2nd or 3rd team depth at the position.
BuckeyeHornetFan

Phantom Hornet wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:45 pmGood for him. Kid gave up his body for Sac State and took us to a championship. Gets to go home and play his final year at UDub. Although this sucks for sac state on the surface initially, I think this is reflective of the quality of program being built.

Very happy for Kevin, will always be a hornet.
Flip side is, the Hornets program offered him an opportunity when many others weren’t. They even had to wait through numerous injuries for him to actually play. Then, with the new staff in place, they finally see tremendous results and the ship heading in the right direction and he jumps ship for a supposed ‘better opportunity’.

KT may he a good kid, but I’m disheartened by the lack of loyalty. Par for the course for many millennials these days, I suppose, but still.

I’m still confident his pro prospects won’t be any different should he land the starting job and Washington ends up 7-5 versus another season at SAC like he had in 2019.

Not that I’m rooting against him, cause I’m not, but if KT somehow does land the starting gig — I’ll bet against him lasting the entire season w/o injury.
BuckeyeHornetFan

One last thing, it just occurred to me that Hornets essentially ‘traded’ Kevin Thomson for Ariel Ngata via the transfer portal. ;)

That week 2 game will surely be interesting!
GreenArmySwarm

Yeah, I think everyone in the Hornet community feels like this was a gut punch.

If you really boil it down, Thomson career by all measures after he sat out without being on a team in 2016, was over. The program gave him a shot, a real shot, and he’s now able to relay that to a Undergrad degree at a reputable CSU and a soon to be Master at a well known research university in UW. The way that he went about this transfer is gonna leave a nasty taste in most Hornets mouth when we were loyal as heck to him. Most programs/fan bases wouldn’t be nearly as patient thru ALL of his injuries and inconsistencies. But it is what it is. Water under the bridge. Wish him the best and hope he gets sack a couple of time in week 2.

Are we thinking Jake as the sure fire replacement or is Coach Taylor gonna try to find someone through the Portal?
SDHornet

Agree that it sucks to see him leave, but those are the transfer rules now so this is the new norm in college football. This program will be fine with Taylor at the helm.

I hope Duvalko is redshirted even though Thomson is gone. He'll still get to see action in 4 games and it would give him an additional year to develop.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
GreenArmySwarm

GreenArmySwarm wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:59 pm Yeah, I think everyone in the Hornet community feels like this was a gut punch.

If you really boil it down, Thomson career by all measures after he sat out without being on a team in 2016, was over. The program gave him a shot, a real shot, and he’s now able to relay that to a Undergrad degree at a reputable CSU and a soon to be Master at a well known research university in UW. The way that he went about this transfer is gonna leave a nasty taste in most Hornets mouth when we were loyal as heck to him. Most programs/fan bases wouldn’t be nearly as patient thru ALL of his injuries and inconsistencies. But it is what it is. Water under the bridge. Wish him the best and hope he gets sack a couple of time in week 2.

Are we thinking Jake as the sure fire replacement or is Coach Taylor gonna try to find someone through the Portal?
I really think there’s a shot with Jason Shelley (Utah’s former QB who played for Troy Taylor) who’s currently sitting in the Transfer Portal without a home. If that’s a route Taylor and co is willing to explore. I think it’d be the perfect plug and play. Would come down to the FCS level with 2 years of eligibility left.

Some outlets project him to go to SMU or a G5 school near Texas where he’s from.
HornetHope

This was a revenge pick off from UW. While he probably has the talent to start, no way coach Lake banks his future on Ol injury prone one and done. Last I heard playing pine is not the way to the next level.
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi
Green Cookie Monster

Let me get this straight.....

1. UW had a very high chance of losing to red hot Hornets in game two of 2020 season.
2. UW already paying $$ to possibly lose, slimes their way into buying off the competition?
3. Last minute deal, where everyone now realizes they may actually play in 2020, for golly gee whiz Thompson to join the other side.
4. UW couldnt assure beating the Hornets so they bought/bribed their way out of it??

I smell two fish that are rotten in this scenario. If the Hornets play and they beat no other team next year, I hope its against UW.
Kadeezy

Green Cookie Monster wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:18 pm Let me get this straight.....

1. UW had a very high chance of losing to red hot Hornets in game two of 2020 season.
2. UW already paying $$ to possibly lose, slimes their way into buying off the competition?
3. Last minute deal, where everyone now realizes they may actually play in 2020, for golly gee whiz Thompson to join the other side.
4. UW couldnt assure beating the Hornets so they bought/bribed their way out of it??

I smell two fish that are rotten in this scenario. If the Hornets play and they beat no other team next year, I hope its against UW.
I was thinking it'd be fair to say Thomson will be able to relay all of our plays/signs ahead of the game.

Like the Seahawks signing whomever the 49ers most recently released before they play them... LOL

I'm sure the coaching staff will account for that, but in a short turnaround situation, it'll be a pain in the @ss!
Super Hornet
Admin

Kadeezy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:32 pmI was thinking it'd be fair to say Thomson will be able to relay all of our plays/signs ahead of the game.

Like the Seahawks signing whomever the 49ers most recently released before they play them... LOL

I'm sure the coaching staff will account for that, but in a short turnaround situation, it'll be a pain in the @ss!
Yeah. I'm sure Taylor et. al. will change the signals. That's a common practice, anyway. Heck, I still remember Scott Towne's signal change for one of our running plays just before the St. Mary's game one year. It was a belly play that was called knuckle if it went to the left and knocker if it went to the right. Our previous signal for knocker was knocking on a door. You can guess what he changed it to. I was scared all week that we'd get in serious trouble for that given that the game was AT St. Mary's that year, but we got away with it.

:mrgreen:
BuckeyeHornetFan

Kadeezy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:32 pm I was thinking it'd be fair to say Thomson will be able to relay all of our plays/signs ahead of the game.

Conversely, Ariel Ngata knows the UW defense and most their personnel.
OldSchoolHornet

Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that the QB cupboard is so bare at U of Washington that Thomson has a legitimate chance of showing up and starting in front of all of the other qubes on the roster? It would be a difficult task to pull off if he had a full spring to practice/compete and then a full summer to get more familiar with the coaches and offensive players and then a full fall camp to actually compete for the starting job. Without those three opportunities how in the hell does anyone think he can pull this off? As another poster pointed out, if this transfer leads Thomson to a back-up spot he has severely hurt his chances of a shot at the next level if he had one at all. Either there's a lot more to this story that has not surfaced...Thomson is getting really bad advice/guidance...or both.
Kadeezy

OldSchoolHornet wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:41 pm Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that the QB cupboard is so bare at U of Washington that Thomson has a legitimate chance of showing up and starting in front of all of the other qubes on the roster? It would be a difficult task to pull off if he had a full spring to practice/compete and then a full summer to get more familiar with the coaches and offensive players and then a full fall camp to actually compete for the starting job. Without those three opportunities how in the hell does anyone think he can pull this off? As another poster pointed out, if this transfer leads Thomson to a back-up spot he has severely hurt his chances of a shot at the next level if he had one at all. Either there's a lot more to this story that has not surfaced...Thomson is getting really bad advice/guidance...or both.

Will there even be a GD season?! I sure hope so... imagine how hyped our guys will be in Seattle...
BSCfan

Kadeezy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:02 pm
OldSchoolHornet wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:41 pm Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that the QB cupboard is so bare at U of Washington that Thomson has a legitimate chance of showing up and starting in front of all of the other qubes on the roster? It would be a difficult task to pull off if he had a full spring to practice/compete and then a full summer to get more familiar with the coaches and offensive players and then a full fall camp to actually compete for the starting job. Without those three opportunities how in the hell does anyone think he can pull this off? As another poster pointed out, if this transfer leads Thomson to a back-up spot he has severely hurt his chances of a shot at the next level if he had one at all. Either there's a lot more to this story that has not surfaced...Thomson is getting really bad advice/guidance...or both.

Will there even be a GD season?! I sure hope so... imagine how hyped our guys will be in Seattle...
The players or their parents? 😉
josephpoint

Watching the Washington . Oregon State game right now.

Where is Kevin?Want to see our Sac State All american quarterback playing for his new team and new university this time of COVID
Behind Kevin all the way . Just wondering where he is

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State