Troy Taylor Named Head Coach

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
BuckeyeHornetFan

Kadeezy wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:12 pm
GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:33 pm
Sooo...Kevin Thomson got his waiver approved and now has two more years of eligibility. I honestly can't tell if this is a good thing or bad. Leaning with good for the moment. :nod:
I think it’s only one additional year. So 2019 season would be his last no matter what.
Actually, scratch my last reply. According to a tweet from Thomson himself, GreenArmySwarm is spot on. He has been granted 2 additional years of eligibility.

https://twitter.com/KevinThomsonX/statu ... 6599733248
Kadeezy

Yes, wow, two more years - I’m so confused.
GreenArmySwarm

You what is scary?

Think of this offense in Taylor's second year (If no one transfers, all stays healthy, etc etc)
Play caller - Troy Taylor
QB - Thomson (6th year)
RB - Dotson (4th year Senior)
WR-TE - Jarrell Anderson (3rd yr Junior)

OMG. If everything goes according to plan, if this is not the most lethal offensive trio in the Big Sky / FCS, then I don't know what is!!! :mrgreen: I'm giggly just thinking about this...
GreenArmySwarm

According to the Folsom article..

"Richardson isn’t the only Folsom coach to join Taylor at Sacramento State. Bobby Fresques and Sam Cole, the team’s offensive and defensive coordinators, respectively, and running back coach Chris Parry will also be headed to Sac State"

Looks like TT is rounding out is staff. If this is true, most of Sears' staff won't be retained
SochorField

I don't remember the last coach to move upward from Sac State. Taylor has a shot at being the best.
Mattos > Retired
Clemons (2 seasons) > Out of football?
Volek > Sierra College
Mooshagian> Ventura College
Sperbeck > Out of football?
Sears > TBD?

What Taylor and his staff need is 100% COMMITMENT to football from the University. Hawkins was able to muster this at Davis with his passion and people skills. Having a young and energetic AD is huge as well.
Taylor must be able to get the AD and donors to come back with excitement. Things can change so fast.

Whats the AD situation at Sac?
SochorField

Does Kaden Richardson play for Dad or with brother??? Tough choice!
SDHornet

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:53 pm
According to the Folsom article..

"Richardson isn’t the only Folsom coach to join Taylor at Sacramento State. Bobby Fresques and Sam Cole, the team’s offensive and defensive coordinators, respectively, and running back coach Chris Parry will also be headed to Sac State"

Looks like TT is rounding out is staff. If this is true, most of Sears' staff won't be retained
Yeah I got the impression from the presser that a lot of them would be retained. Given the recent news on the staff hires, I think most of them will not be here next season.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
SDHornet

SochorField wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:42 pm

What Taylor and his staff need is 100% COMMITMENT to football from the University. Hawkins was able to muster this at Davis with his passion and people skills. Having a young and energetic AD is huge as well.
Taylor must be able to get the AD and donors to come back with excitement. Things can change so fast.

Rock solid. President Nelsen utilized a search firm and selected/hired Orr from the top 4 candidates in March ’17. I think I read in the Bee that he is on a 5-year contract so that puts Orr here at least through 2022 if true. Prior to taking the AD position here, Orr was AD at Saint Mary’s since 2006.

Given the administrative and financial moves made by Nelsen to remove Macriss from AD to hire on Orr and subsequently oust Sears (he had one year on his contract remaining) followed up with fronting the money to hire Taylor (and his staff); no one should ever doubt Nelsen’s commitment to football (and athletics) from this point on. Nelsen and/or his wife have been a fixture at athletic events since he was hired as President in the summer of 2015. I’ve probably seen him at about 90% of the athletic events I’ve been to (FB, MBB, WBB, VB, SB, BB) which made me a Nelsen fanboi from day 1.

Bottom line is this President and AD are going all in on athletics. Hornet fans/alums/student and the community at large should be very excited about what is taking place. The amount of support athletics is receiving from the Presidents office is unprecedented in Sac State History.
BuckeyeHornetFan

SDHornet wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:20 pm
SochorField wrote:

Rock solid. President Nelsen utilized a search firm and selected/hired Orr from the top 4 candidates in March ’17. I think I read in the Bee that he is on a 5-year contract so that puts Orr here at least through 2022 if true. Prior to taking the AD position here, Orr was AD at Saint Mary’s since 2006.

Given the administrative and financial moves made by Nelsen to remove Macriss from AD to hire on Orr and subsequently oust Sears (he had one year on his contract remaining) followed up with fronting the money to hire Taylor (and his staff); no one should ever doubt Nelsen’s commitment to football (and athletics) from this point on. Nelsen and/or his wife have been a fixture at athletic events since he was hired as President in the summer of 2015. I’ve probably seen him at about 90% of the athletic events I’ve been to (FB, MBB, WBB, VB, SB, BB) which made me a Nelsen fanboi from day 1.

Bottom line is this President and AD are going all in on athletics. Hornet fans/alums/student and the community at large should be very excited about what is taking place. The amount of support athletics is receiving from the Presidents office is unprecedented in Sac State History.
Given everything you outlined, it sure is an exciting time and cause for a lot of optimism. Boy how things have drastically changed in such a short amount of time. 6 weeks ago we were all on tilt....
BuckeyeHornetFan

I don't know if the SacBee article was recently updated, but I just read this:
Taylor is doing double-duty now, coaching the Utes offense through the Dec. 31 Holiday Bowl against Northwestern and assembling a coaching staff while also determining which Hornets coaches will remain.

Taylor told The Bee he has hired a new defensive coordinator - Andy Thompson, a longtime coach at Northern Arizona, so he understands the Big Sky Conference.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article22 ... rylink=cpy

The fact that a DC was officially hired escaped my attention. Anybody know anything about him?

**EDIT** In researching, I just found this article from 9 days ago declaring Thompson as SUU's new DC. Somebody's wrong or there's a larger story here ....

https://suutbirds.com/news/2018/12/13/f ... nator.aspx
HornetHope

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:18 am
I don't know if the SacBee article was recently updated, but I just read this:
Taylor is doing double-duty now, coaching the Utes offense through the Dec. 31 Holiday Bowl against Northwestern and assembling a coaching staff while also determining which Hornets coaches will remain.

Taylor told The Bee he has hired a new defensive coordinator - Andy Thompson, a longtime coach at Northern Arizona, so he understands the Big Sky Conference.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article22 ... rylink=cpy

The fact that a DC was officially hired escaped my attention. Anybody know anything about him?

**EDIT** In researching, I just found this article from 9 days ago declaring Thompson as SUU's new DC. Somebody's wrong or there's a larger story here ....

https://suutbirds.com/news/2018/12/13/f ... nator.aspx
And the AZ Daily posted yesterday confirming the SUU hire. Something is amiss?
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi
SDHornet

Sac State Magazine ran a front cover article on Taylor and the FB program (digital link not available yet, good infographics included in the hard copy). Taylor was signed for 7 years with a base salary of $242k. It didn't mention any of the coaching staff salaries.

Based on the quotes from Nelsen and Orr, you can tell the admin is all in on this move not just on the athletics side, but the marketing/exposure a winning program can bring to the University. It's good to see some big minded thinking finally taking hold with the people that make decisions on campus. I like it. :clap:
Green Cookie Monster

http://www.hornetsports.com/tickets/Fball19

Earliest I've seen season tix on sale.
Super Hornet
Admin

SochorField wrote:
I don't remember the last coach to move upward from Sac State. Taylor has a shot at being the best.
Mattos > Retired
Clemons (2 seasons) > Out of football?
Volek > Sierra College
Mooshagian> Ventura College
Sperbeck > Out of football?
Sears > TBD?

I have no clue where Sears is. There's an archived blurb for Sperbeck as a VP at Carmichael-Jesuit HS, but it's not dated; I can't tell if it was before or after his time at Sac. In any event, he's no longer there.
OldSchoolHornet

Mattos did not retire after he left Sac State. He coached in the CFL...first with Kay Stephenson and the Gold Miners and then he went down to San Antonio. After that he was the AD at Elk Grove High School.

Sperbeck went to Jesuit as a fundraiser after he was cut loose.
OldSchoolHornet

Mattos did not retire after he left Sac State. He coached in the CFL...first with Kay Stephenson and the Gold Miners and then he went down to San Antonio. After that he was the AD at Elk Grove High School.

Sperbeck went to Jesuit as a fundraiser after he was cut loose.
OldSchoolHornet

Clemons went on to be the HC at Sac City and then he retired.
SDHornet

Super Hornet wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:12 pm

I have no clue where Sears is. There's an archived blurb for Sperbeck as a VP at Carmichael-Jesuit HS, but it's not dated; I can't tell if it was before or after his time at Sac. In any event, he's no longer there.
He's set to collect another $180k from Sac State so not sure why he would be doing anything other than looking for something another year out.
SDHornet

Sac State Magazine article on the Taylor hire:

https://www.csus.edu/sacstatemagazine/2 ... rment.html
OldSchoolHornet

SDH...I'm curious, how do you know your statement about Sears collecting another year of pay is true? Can you provide any factual evidence of that? I know you pride yourself on being able to find any/all public information with one of your advanced internet searches, so this should be easy for you to provide evidence. I sincerely HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT, but I believe there was a provision in the contract extension Sears received from Orr that allowed the university the ability to severe ties without an expensive buyout and/or an additional year of salary if there was not continued progress in the program. I believe they used that clause when they released Sears. I WOULD LOVE TO BE WRONG about my take but I'm fairly sure I am not.

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah