Troy Taylor Named Head Coach

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
SDHornet

ChiCity wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:15 pm
Good group of candidates. Finally! I, too, would put Taylor at the top of the list, simply because of his background playing the game and teaching QB's. Don't know avbout his recruiting ability and background. Adams would be second for me with what SDHornet said and his recruiting experience in California and Texas. If the school is willing to go into Washington to recruit, why not Texas? Everybody else seems to go there. Angus would be next with his extensive background in different areas and his recruiting background. The other thing these three bring is a broad network of possible assistant coaches. Hopefully Orr and Neslon understand that you have to pay to get good coaches. The other intangible is what they have expressed in the interview process as far as facility upgrades, promoting the program to a half million people, and willingness to try and bring new ideas to the program. All of the candidates have coached in different programs, in different areas, at different levels, and should be able to bring some new and innovative ideas for this program.
Yeah those top 3 candidates bring something different to the mix. Hopefully one of them takes the job if selected.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
HornetHope

SDHornet wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:30 am
Hornet Fever wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 am
Wow..Troy Taylor makes $525,000 per year with Utah..seems like a big pay cut to be the head coach for Sac State..

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes ... r/?src=rss
Yeah that's a massive pay cut (>50%) to return home to a high income tax state. His $87.5k bonus he got is a good chunk of what his salary would be here. He'll no doubt have plenty of HC opportunities in the future if his offenses continue to do well in the P12, so I guess it all comes down to how bad does he really want a HC job "at home"?
I think they are going to pony up a big salary and potential bonus. I would not be surprised if he ends up North of $400k. If I was Orr taking this job I would want assurances that if they wanted to become premier sports program that we would add to sports budget. I googled FCS coach salaries and top programs had salaries above $300k two years ago.

Quote from State Hornet interview with Orr, “
Cynthia Orr spent 35 years working for the state Department of Insurance while bringing up her children. Greg Orr played football (quarterback) and baseball (outfield) for Sacramento’s John F. Kennedy High in the late 1960s. He later was a part of Sacramento City College’s powerful baseball program. The elder Orr has worked as a Major League Baseball scout for more than 40 years, primarily for the New York Yankees and now the Minnesota Twins. He was inducted into the Sacramento Baseball Hall of Fame in 2015.

It’s no surprise that athleticism and a competitive fire are a part of Mark Orr’s DNA. He said he hopes his leadership will inspire many wins for Sac State’s student athletes.

“I love competition,” he said in an interview after his pep talk to the football team. “There’s no reason to settle for mediocrity. We have talented student athletes in all of our programs. Winning is a priority, and there are a lot of ways you can build a winning program.”

It starts, he says, with “recruiting the right student athletes, hiring the right coaches, and having the right people in place to do that. We need resources to support those individuals. An events center is a big part of it. We have to get that project done for the future of not just our athletics programs but for all of our students. We also need to continue to improve the existing athletic facilities.”. Me thinks after the interviews he knew who he wanted and is trying to come up with means to make it happen.
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi
ChiCity

There could be some extenuating circumstances that would bring Taylor back to California. Perhaps he's unhappy in Utah, doesn't like the weather, or whatever, and is willing to take a pay cut to get back here. If Orr can promise and deliver on what he sounds like he wants, Taylor just might jump at the chance.
Kadeezy

My lone remaining Athletic Department contact tells me there will an announcement tomorrow. At least they’re planning for one. Don’t know who.
GreenArmySwarm

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-t ... ead-coach/

ALRIGHT EVERYONE! Troy Taylor will be OUR new Head football COACH!!! Cannot be happier with this decision!!!
ChiCity

Great choice. So glad to see Orr was thinking outside the box and that Taylor wanted to come here!
GreenArmySwarm

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:19 am

ALRIGHT EVERYONE! Troy Taylor will be OUR new Head football COACH!!! Cannot be happier with this decision!!!
Jon Osterhout, Associate HC/Defensive Coordinator! Who says no!? Let's make this happen :D
Hornet Fever

Outstanding choice...Thank you to Mark Orr and Robert Nelsen for making this happen. It is so nice to have 2 guys that have a great vision for this program. This has not always been the case in the past. I have not been this excited about the program since Sac State beat Oregon St in 2011...Stringers up!!!
Hornet Fever

What about Kris Richardson from Folsom being the OC?
GreenArmySwarm

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:34 am
GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:19 am

Jon Osterhout, Associate HC/Defensive Coordinator! Who says no!? Let's make this happen :D
I doubt anyone from the current Utah staff would be willing to accept a pay decrease just for a title bump so I'm not expecting that kind of transition to happen as commonly seen in other coaching hires. That'd only logically happen if we were a MWC school. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised and be proven wrong. So that means that some of the staff from the Sears era will be retained (most likely position coaches) and he'd have a new right hand man with the OC/DC. I think Taylor might even take on the OC himself so save the program $. I'm sure part of the Orr negotiation was, "If you don't want your pay-cut to be as dramatic as it already is, you'd have to take on the OC/play calling duties so we can absorb the salary of the OC to be part of yours to meet your demands." and Taylor happily did so because that's what he loves to do anyways. That's probably another $90-125K added on to Taylor's annual salary (can someone fact check me?). A new DC might be coming/ but OC could be just a filler. :nod:
SochorField

Come on back, Hornet fans.......time to close that "Done" thread.

Told you things can change fast! Nothing better than a coach coming "home." Only took 2 years across the Causeway to be better than ever.

Looking forward to competitive games in November.
BuckeyeHornetFan

I suggested Taylor's name on this very board several years ago when Sperbeck was let go. My thought was get the guy before he became a commodity in the NCAA world. Well, we lucked out and now it's an even better situation in that Coach Taylor has 3 years O-Coordinator experience at the FBS & FCS levels to bring along.

I think Coach Taylor deserves a lot of credit and praise for taking this challenge on, as it could really only hurt his career progression. He likely could have stayed put for another couple seasons and eventually landed an FBS HC position. However, in coming back to Sac, should he not be successful for any reason, it would set him back a while.

My guess is that Coach Taylor simply craved the larger challenge of lifting a hometown program out of lethargy and out of the shadows. I sure hope he can do it.
BuckeyeHornetFan

Hornet Fever wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:44 am
What about Kris Richardson from Folsom being the OC?
No, no, no! I don't think a lot of people follow or understand. Richardson isn't the guy that built Folsom's offensive system. While HC, Richardson is an o-line/d-line guy. Taylor was the brains behind the operation. And once he left Folsom for EWU, former Hornets QB Bobby Fresques has been continuing to run the offense Taylor started. Fresques was also a contributor to Taylor's long-standing passing academy so he mentors and grooms the QB's like Troy used to.

If Taylor doesn't run the offense himself, I'd think Fresques would be a choice long before Richardson for OC. But Taylor would probably prefer someone with FBS/FCS experience. I guess we'll see. If Richardson was brought on, I would think it would be for a line position.

FWIW, Taylor was Folsom's HC back in 2002. After 3 pedestrian seasons and a 15-15 record, Taylor left the program once the NCAA denied a waiver allowing him to work as Cal Berkley analyst and Folsom HC.

Richardson took over in 2005 and was also quite pedestrian his 1st 3 seasons going 17-13-1. By that time Taylor was involved in his area passing academy and helping Richardson out on the side to install their current offense. After being part of the staff for several seasons, Taylor was granted the title of Co-HC in 2012.

Make no mistake, Folsom didn't start ascending to State and National heights until Taylor's re-involvement. While they've still been highly successful after his departure, they kept the system in place. Very similar to how De La Salle remained dominant after Bob Ladouceur stepped down as HC to coach the lines. The new HC was already on staff and kept everything in place.

Almost every QB Taylor has developed through Folsom's system (he also worked with numerous other area QB's) has earned a college scholarship. David Graves, Dano Graves, Tanner Troisin, Jake Browning, Jake Jeffrey.
SDHornet

New thread for the new era of Hornet FB. 8-)
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Sacramento State Director of Athletics Mark Orr announced today that Troy Taylor will serve as the 11th head coach in school history. An introductory press conference will be scheduled for later this week.
http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/fbal ... 1217l02pyo

Good hire, and a big one at that. Kudos to Nelsen and Orr for coming through with this. It no doubt took a hefty investment into Hornet FB to land him. :clap:

All the social media, email announcements, and Hornetsports posts all went up within minutes of each other. Very well orchestrated by the Department. :thumb:
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
Super Hornet
Admin

I may be alone in this, but I am NOT happy with this hire....
HornetHope

I like the Troy Taylor pick. I like what he has done at every stop in his career. Some people have an absolute skill to raise those around them.

Just want to say though, had Sperbeck not taken this program and put in the hard work to get around .500 and then defeat 2 PAC 12 teams, we probably would not be in this position and most likely we would have been ok with the prior rollercoaster ride.
Vince Lombardi
HornetHope

Super Hornet wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:09 pm
I may be alone in this, but I am NOT happy with this hire....
Who was your pick? I like Troy, and think this is a huge direction change. P5 offensive coordinator, doing some really great things. Don’t think Saban applied....
Vince Lombardi
Green Laser

I am very happy that Troy Taylor is our new Head Football Coach!
This is the kind of bold move that needs to be done if we are ever to reach our potential. Congratulations to AD Mark Orr and President Nielsen for their vision and courage to get this done.

Only Super Hornet and our opponents are unhappy about this hire!
josephpoint

Welcome Coach Taylor to you and your family Glad to have you all as Sacramento State Hornets!!
BuckeyeHornetFan

Green Laser wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:41 pm
I am very happy that Troy Taylor is our new Head Football Coach!
This is the kind of bold move that needs to be done if we are ever to reach our potential. Congratulations to AD Mark Orr and President Nielsen for their vision and courage to get this done.

Only Super Hornet and our opponents are unhappy about this hire!
Agreed. It's nice to finally see leadership with a clear vision and working hard to make it happen. Hiring Troy Taylor is a swing for the fences type move for this program. Odd were against them that they could land someone like him, considering their budget and what Taylor had been making and where he was coaching.

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah