Troy Taylor Named Head Coach

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
OldSchoolHornet

Three ex-Hornets interviewed yesterday.
ChiCity

OldSchoolHornet wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:28 am
Three ex-Hornets interviewed yesterday.
Do we have any idea what the school is offering in compensation for the head coach position and the assistant pool?
Green Laser

No excuses or experiments this time. There is a lot of returning talent, time to produce from day 1!
Kadeezy

Arbet, Osterhout, and McClure?
Green Laser

Kadeezy wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:49 pm
Arbet, Osterhout, and McClure?
Orr said that he wanted a coach named by 12/19. If they are on schedule at least the three finalists should be announced this week.
OldSchoolHornet

Yes.
Kadeezy

OldSchoolHornet wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:34 am
Yes.
To me? GL? Or Both?

Likelihood of selection in my uneducated opinion:

1. Osterhout - salary is in range, nationally JC power...
2. Arbet - would Arena success transfer over? Obvious leader.
3. McClure - undoubtedly everyone’s #1, but will be sacrifice salary for the Big Chair, and a chance to coach his son for 3-4 years, near home?
ChiCity

Kadeezy wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:51 am
OldSchoolHornet wrote:
Yes.
To me? GL? Or Both?

3. McClure - undoubtedly everyone’s #1, but will be sacrifice salary for the Big Chair, and a chance to coach his son for 3-4 years, near home?
McClure might not have to sacrafice any salary. According to MWC information, he made around $200K last year. I've heard that SAC may be offering close to $300K for the head coach job.
Kadeezy

ChiCity wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:59 am
Kadeezy wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:51 am
OldSchoolHornet wrote:
Yes.
To me? GL? Or Both?

McClure might not have to sacrafice any salary. According to MWC information, he made around $200K last year. I've heard that SAC may be offering close to $300K for the head coach job.
Wow, had no idea.

For folks in the know, if McClure is named HC, any chance that Osterhout considers an OC/Asst. HC role? Wondering about the relationship between the two, and if the Sperbeck- era hard feelings are gone for Johnny O, kinda worked out for him though....
OldSchoolHornet

I was mistaken...McClure did not interview last Friday but it is supposed to happen this week. Today?
OldSchoolHornet

Today could be a big day.
Kadeezy

I’m seeing some vague reactions online from coaches that might lead you to believe the remaining staff have been notified of the selected head coach....0
BuckeyeHornetFan

Kadeezy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:40 pm
I’m seeing some vague reactions online from coaches that might lead you to believe the remaining staff have been notified of the selected head coach....0
Any guesses as to whom it might be?
GreenArmySwarm

Kadeezy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:40 pm
I'm seeing the same! This is so exciting! I think Orr/Nelsen have decided on the next head football coach for our University and they're just working out the kinks of the contract atm. Someone on this board said it might be around $300k which I think is pretty on par with what Dungpile/Cal Poly/USD is paying their coaches. I think it's going to land somewhere $275k + performance incentives but that's just a random number with absolutely nothing to back it up haha. :mrgreen:
Hornet Fever

I just found this article. It looks like it is down to 4 candidates.

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-sa ... ng-search/

I'm hoping it is Troy Taylor.
Kadeezy

Various posters on Utah message boards believe Taylor has been offered the job - wow. We shall see what comes...
SDHornet

Hornet Fever wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:05 am
I just found this article. It looks like it is down to 4 candidates.

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-sa ... ng-search/

I'm hoping it is Troy Taylor.
Thanks for the post. 3 of the 4 finalists with D1 coordinator or higher experience. I'm good with either one of them. Adams is interesting given what was done at SJSU. I tend to think there would be a lot of similarities of what he dealt with there vs what he would have to deal with here.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
ChiCity

Good group of candidates. Finally! I, too, would put Taylor at the top of the list, simply because of his background playing the game and teaching QB's. Don't know avbout his recruiting ability and background. Adams would be second for me with what SDHornet said and his recruiting experience in California and Texas. If the school is willing to go into Washington to recruit, why not Texas? Everybody else seems to go there. Angus would be next with his extensive background in different areas and his recruiting background. The other thing these three bring is a broad network of possible assistant coaches. Hopefully Orr and Neslon understand that you have to pay to get good coaches. The other intangible is what they have expressed in the interview process as far as facility upgrades, promoting the program to a half million people, and willingness to try and bring new ideas to the program. All of the candidates have coached in different programs, in different areas, at different levels, and should be able to bring some new and innovative ideas for this program.
Hornet Fever

Wow..Troy Taylor makes $525,000 per year with Utah..seems like a big pay cut to be the head coach for Sac State..

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes ... r/?src=rss
SDHornet

Hornet Fever wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 am
Wow..Troy Taylor makes $525,000 per year with Utah..seems like a big pay cut to be the head coach for Sac State..

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes ... r/?src=rss
Yeah that's a massive pay cut (>50%) to return home to a high income tax state. His $87.5k bonus he got is a good chunk of what his salary would be here. He'll no doubt have plenty of HC opportunities in the future if his offenses continue to do well in the P12, so I guess it all comes down to how bad does he really want a HC job "at home"?
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State