Humboldt State pulls the plug on football

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
Green Laser

Humboldt State is discontinuing their football program after this season.

http://www.hsujacks.com/news/2018/7/16/ ... ision.aspx

Sad news, back in the day Humboldt had some great teams and community support before the decline of the logging industry. I always enjoyed the Lumberjacks as Hornet rivals in the Far Western Conference and NCAC. Azusa Pacific will be the only D2 football program left in California.
Kadeezy

Green Laser wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:12 pm
Humboldt State is discontinuing their football program after this season.

http://www.hsujacks.com/news/2018/7/16/ ... ision.aspx

Sad news, back in the day Humboldt had some great teams and community support before the decline of the logging industry. I always enjoyed the Lumberjacks as Hornet rivals in the Far Western Conference and NCAC. Azusa Pacific will be the only D2 football program left in California.
I’m sure the coaching staff has already been scouting their roster. We’ve picked up quality players from other shuttering programs in the recent past (St. Mary’s, WOU?).
ChiCity

Already picked up a defensive back from Humboldt, Davaeon Johnson, 6'1" and 185. Just added to the most updated roster.
Kadeezy

ChiCity wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:58 pm
Already picked up a defensive back from Humboldt, Davaeon Johnson, 6'1" and 185. Just added to the most updated roster.
Good catch Chi!
EventCenterNow

As saddened as I am to see Humboldt State lose its football program, I wondered how much longer they would've kept going with the sport. I graduated from Chico State and remember when they dropped their football team. The announcement occurred three months before I graduated. This came on the heels of other nearby Division II schools like San Francisco State and Sonoma State cutting football. I've always enjoyed attending live college sporting events. I now live in the Sacramento area, so I attend football, and men's and women's basketball games at Sac State and UC Davis (I don't have a compelling reason to hate the Aggies) every year. However, the colleges in Northern California have always lived in the shadow of the pro teams. Look at Sacramento as an example, where it's always been about the Kings. Granted, Humboldt State is further removed from Sacramento and the Bay Area, so that may have helped keep community support strong. But when you factor the high costs of operating a football team and having to scramble for opponents, it becomes a real challenge. Yes, it hurts, but I don't know what more the Humboldt community of the university could've done to ensure the football program's long-term viability.
OldSchoolHornet

I can't remember any players from St. Mary's transferring to SAC when the Gaels shut down football...can you remember any names?
Kadeezy

OldSchoolHornet wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:54 am
I can't remember any players from St. Mary's transferring to SAC when the Gaels shut down football...can you remember any names?
Ryan Coogler was one I believe...
Super Hornet
Admin

Sac picked up a few from UOP. I should know. I was one of them. (Of course, I had no legit shot at the field at either place, but at least the staffs were kind enough to allow me to be part of the program....)
josephpoint

Sad to see Humboldt State football ending after nearly a 100 year history. Proud of the Jacks

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah