• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

You win some, you lose some...

Kadeezy

Three top preps choose next stops
By Joe Davidson - [email protected]
Published 1:38 pm PST Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)| Digg it | del.icio.us

Kevin Frank has reversed field, and Deonte Williams and Cary Grossart have gone from Delta River Valley League rivals to sudden teammates - all that becoming official when the football players sign their national letters of intent Feb. 6.

One of the state's top recruits at defensive back, Frank of Elk Grove High School announced he rescinded his verbal commitment to Boise State to accept an offer from Washington State. He chose the Cougars over not only Boise State but also Sacramento State, Nebraska, San Diego State and Fresno State.

Williams, a tailback at Pleasant Grove, and Grossart, a Folsom quarterback, have given verbal commitments to Northern Arizona of the Big Sky Conference. Williams was The Bee's Offensive Player of the Year after rushing for 2,447 yards and 29 touchdowns in 2007. Grossart shattered passing records with the Bulldogs, throwing for 3,046 yards in 10 games.

"I am excited that we're both going there," Williams said. "We were rivals, and now we're friends. Cary's my boy. We're going to do great things there."

Elsewhere, offensive lineman Aaron Colldeweih and linebacker Ryan Rau of Folsom have given verbal commitments to UC Davis and Portland State, respectively. Rau led the Sac-Joaquin Section in tackles and was conference Co-Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Del Oro defensive end/tight end Ryan Otten has given a verbal commitment to San Jose State, and teammate Jack Reynoso, a two-way lineman, is bound for Nevada. Franklin lineman Maika Maumau is headed to Sac State.

How can Sperbeck lose out to other teams in the Big Sky? Did you recruit these players? Or did he assume because he had a freshman RB and QB that he wouldn't pursue them? The grace period is over for Sperbeck, I hope he signs some talent.

Any word on the kid from Franklin?

OldHornet said:
How can Sperbeck lose out to other teams in the Big Sky? Did you recruit these players? Or did he assume because he had a freshman RB and QB that he wouldn't pursue them? The grace period is over for Sperbeck, I hope he signs some talent.

Any word on the kid from Franklin?

'Immediate playing time', magical words to a HS kid moving up. And, the Skydome is a nicer facility than Hornet stadium. And they have been to the playoffs. Proven longtime coaching staff. etc.

I don't know what happened with the Kessman circus, but I think Sperbeck has done well so far, the three picked up earlier are quality.

NAU also signed a sophomore QB from Ole Miss (who has three years left), so I would discount Grossart playing QB for them anytime soon. Maybe they are moving him elsewhere. I don't think the grace period is over Old Hornet. Just relax and see how things turn out ok.

OK, so the grace period shouldn't be over - but I'm tired of losing local players to other BSC schools. When you combine that with losing records....... I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!

Just win..

SlickPulla said:
Rumor is UCLA QB transfer Bethel-Thompson is enrolled...

UCLA --- McLeod figures to add depth at the quarterback position this season.

2006 --- Redshirted after making the team as a non-scholarship freshman.

HIGH SCHOOL --- Lettered three seasons (2003 - 2005) in football for coach Keith Minor at Balboa HS in San Francisco ... Selected first-team All-City, Player of the Year and All-Metro honors after his senior season ... Threw for 2,100 yards, 22 touchdowns and six interceptions as a senior ... As a junior, he was named first-team All-City and Back of the Year ... Threw for 1,800 yards, 19 touchdowns and nine interceptions in his junior season ... As a sophomore, he earned second-team All-City honors ... Also lettered in baseball, basketball and soccer at his high school ... Named second-team All-City in baseball after hitting .610 with two home runs as a senior ... Hit .575 his junior season with five home runs and was named second-team All-City and honorable mention All-Metro ... Earned second-team All-City honors in baseball as a sophomore ... His club soccer team advanced to the state cup finals three times.

Wow, sounds like a major pick up! I guess you could cassify this as one of the ones we won! Only a soph, listed as 6'4" 222. He looked decent in the bowl game vs BYU.

Can't wait for 2/6 official day, these rumors are killing me.

Next we will read where he decided to goto davis instead, ala kessman to motana

If this is true (based on Kessman I'll wait and see), then having competition at the QB spot would be huge. Having players push one another in practice is a key to developing talent that wins on Saturdays. This is a solid step toward that, hopefully Sperbeck can get enough talent to win and turn around the perception of Sac St so we can keep more local talent!!

He's back on my grace period!

OldHornet said:
If this is true (based on Kessman I'll wait and see), then having competition at the QB spot would be huge. Having players push one another in practice is a key to developing talent that wins on Saturdays. This is a solid step toward that, hopefully Sperbeck can get enough talent to win and turn around the perception of Sac St so we can keep more local talent!!

He's back on my grace period!

Ewwwww..... grosss.... Just kidding, I know, I have the mind of a 12-year old! :roll:

Here's a link about Macleod Bethel Thompsom that should give you a bit more info. He actually played more then two games for UCLA but only had stats in two because those are the games he threw passes in. He started last season as the freshmen third string quarterback but was pressed into service because the first and second string QB's were injured most of the season. You'll see in the Daily Bruin article what the QB situation is going to be like next year at UCLA and why he transfered to Sac State. Last year at UCLA he played a series against Stanford, one quarter against Washington, three quarters against Notre Dame and two plus quarters in the Las Vegas Bowl game against BYU.

http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/news/2008/jan/30/walk--qb-transfer/

FYI Guy said:
Here's a link about Macleod Bethel Thompsom that should give you a bit more info. He actually played more then two games for UCLA but only had stats in two because those are the games he threw passes in. He started last season as the freshmen third string quarterback but was pressed into service because the first and second string QB's were injured most of the season. You'll see in the Daily Bruin article what the QB situation is going to be like next year at UCLA and why he transfered to Sac State. Last year at UCLA he played a series against Stanford, one quarter against Washington, three quarters against Notre Dame and two plus quarters in the Las Vegas Bowl game against BYU.

http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/news/2008/jan/30/walk--qb-transfer/

I for one am happy to have his services. Go Sac State!

MBT sounds like a really nice pick up for Sac. Smart student with some experience from a big time program. Exciting to know the team has young competition at QB. It’s a far cry from the patchwork of band-aid transfer QBs with limited eligibility remaining that the team fielded in ’05 and ’06. Smith, White, and Bethel-Thompson should be a good foundation for the future. Hopefully Sac signs some talented new WR targets for them.

Latest posts

Back