• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

What's with players leaving?

budbear

Correction. My Bad. I reread the Tribune article and somehow didn't see the first part about them returning. I only saw the later statement about them being missed when they leave.

budbear said:
I see that Radebaugh and Harris are not coming back next year. Does anyone know why they have chosen not to play their Sr. year at UNC? They would really have helped us. We did get a good transfer, but he will not be eligible this coming season. Maybe some of the new players would be too much competition for playing time and that is why they left. I hope that is the case.

Radebaugh's leaving? Please provide your source. That is devastating. One of my all time favorite Bears.

The Trib mentioned the both in an article on Wednesday (as playing their senior years at UNC):
https://www.greeleytribune.com/sports/put-you-guard-up-university-of-northern-colorado-mens-basketball-team-signs-texas-rio-grande-valley-transfer/
Also, nothing on Jonah leaving on his twitter feed.

bearadaktyl said:
budbear said:
I see that Radebaugh and Harris are not coming back next year. Does anyone know why they have chosen not to play their Sr. year at UNC? They would really have helped us. We did get a good transfer, but he will not be eligible this coming season. Maybe some of the new players would be too much competition for playing time and that is why they left. I hope that is the case.

Radebaugh's leaving? Please provide your source. That is devastating. One of my all time favorite Bears.

I am sorry, it was my error in reading the Tribune article. I am releaved that was not the case. We need them.

Now Sanders is leaving? Didn’t see that coming! I trust in Linder, but we need to keep talent. The kid is a player!

Sanders leaving is a big blow. It’s not like he wasn’t getting playing time, so I wonder what the issue is. Players in this generation do not know what a commitment is, they’ll leave at the drop of a hat.

Beardown said:
Sanders leaving is a big blow. It’s not like he wasn’t getting playing time, so I wonder what the issue is. Players in this generation do not know what a commitment is, they’ll leave at the drop of a hat.

I actually don't blame the players since coaches seem to do the same thing.

According to the site verbalcommits.com/tranfers/2019 there are 881 D1 tranfers so far and the three UNC players leaving are Johnatan Reyes, Matej Drgon and Jalen Sanders.

That's a bummer. Best of luck to Jalen. He had some stellar moments and flashed a lot of potential as a freshman. Then this year he was injured. He is talented and has a high IQ on the court. Best of luck to him.

Meanwhile Bodie Hume made the most of his extra minutes, winning BSC FOY, which included a 23 point, 6 block breakout in a second-consecutive Bears win at Wyoming (which turned out to be the highlight of last season: Only twice before had a visiting non-conference team won consecutive visits to the Dome of Doom, and we hadn't won there in 80 years before this streak). Hume was the starter for the final part of the season (although Jalen still got big minutes off the bench).

We were really young last year with JD our only senior. I think that youth got us in the end when we could have won a share of the BSC title (but we couldn't beat lowly NAU in Greeley) and we were the #2 seed in the BSC tourney, not having to face Montana/Weber till the title game, but we lost in the first game to lowly SUU. In those games, alongside JD and Radebaugh, we were starting 3 freshmen.

Hopefully, even though we've lost Jalen's savvy and intangibles, and JD's scoring punch, we will show gains next season by having a more experienced team.

BTW looking forward to seeing the 2019-2020 schedule. After two straight road wins at Wyoming, can we persuade the Cowboys to visit Greeley? Can we get that elusive UNC-UNC game? We will be going to Austin apparently to play the Longhorns.

That’s why Sanders leaving is a head scratcher. He was still getting playing time even off of the bench. The other players leaving were not getting consistent time. If Sanders is leaving because a younger player is starting in front of him I’ve lost a lot of respect for him.

Looks like we've made an offer to fill the gap left by Jalen Sanders' departure.

Per Verbal Commits, Lök Wur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quSaGsGsyak

Blofeld said:
I always like to hear where they are going because it's usually a DII or whatever...

Yep, he’s transferring to Concordia-Irvine, a D2 school in California. It’s just bizarre unless he’s truly unhappy about not starting...

Beardown said:
Blofeld said:
I always like to hear where they are going because it's usually a DII or whatever...

Yep, he’s transferring to Concordia-Irvine, a D2 school in California. It’s just bizarre unless he’s truly unhappy about not starting...

I understand D1 players who can't get any minutes beyond garbage time transferring down, but Jalen's a legit D1 guy.

Meanwhile Drgon is transferring laterally to another D1 team. Go figure!

Jalen played for Valor Christian High School (Highlands Ranch) and won a state championship. One of his teammates there was Kayle Knuckles. Kayle Knuckles is on the basketball team at Concordia.

bearadaktyl said:
Jalen played for Valor Christian High School (Highlands Ranch) and won a state championship. One of his teammates there was Kayle Knuckles. Kayle Knuckles is on the basketball team at Concordia.

This might be a good fit for him. He never really got back 100% after his injury and there are players now that would limit his playing time here at UNC. It's too bad players don't have team loyalty now days. For us sports fans it would be hard to switch teams we support after one or two seasons and root for some other team down the road. Heck, I have been a UNC fan through some (really, really, really) bad years and I still consider myself a proud UNC grad and sports fan.

Latest posts

Back