• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

WAC Baseball Instability (UNC/CSUB leaving)

GreenArmySwarm

Both Nothern Colorado and CSUB upgraded conferences (as far as stability in baseball is concerned). CSUB is a very solid program and was the only school that fitted SAC mold in the WAC, but now, they've found a new home in the Big West alongside UC San Diego. UNC and Chicago State were bottom feeders in the conference.

WAC replaced the two schools with former D2 programs in Dixie and Tarleton.

Is it time for Orr and Nielsen to move the program back to the Big West? After being "chased out of the conference" about a decade plus ago, Sac State baseball has improved and become one of the more consistent programs out in the West Coast under Reg. Not only that, moving baseball back to the Big West would consolidate the conference affiliation as the Hornets already have men soccer / beach volleyball in the conference

PROs:
1. Stronger conference in Baseball (tremendously)
2. Fit in with schools both geographically and academically
3. Better rivlas (gets to play national powerhouse Fullerton and UCSB) consistently
4. Save travel cost (in a time where schools accross the country are contemplating cutting basetball)

CONs:
1. The only cons I see is instead of being on the top of the conference, the Hornets will slot in the middle of the pack in the Big West (this could be a pro in some eyes)
2. Less chance of making it to the NCAA Tournament due to the higher level of play in the Big West (but BWC is a multi-bid league in Baseball unlike the WAC, where usually, only the tournament conference champs gets to go)

:mrgreen:

GreenArmySwarm said:
Both Nothern Colorado and CSUB upgraded conferences (as far as stability in baseball is concerned). CSUB is a very solid program and was the only school that fitted SAC mold in the WAC, but now, they've found a new home in the Big West alongside UC San Diego. UNC and Chicago State were bottom feeders in the conference.

Is it time for Orr and Nielsen to move the program back to the Big West? After being "chased out of the conference" about a decade plus ago, Sac State baseball has improved and become one of the more consistent programs out in the West Coast under Reg. Not only that, moving baseball back to the Big West would consolidate the conference affiliation as the Hornets already have men soccer / beach volleyball in the conference

PROs:
3. Better rivlas (gets to play national powerhouse Fullerton and UCSB) consistently
4. Save travel cost (in a time where schools accross the country are contemplating cutting basetball)

CONs:
1. The only cons I see is instead of being on the top of the conference, the Hornets will slot in the middle of the pack in the Big West (this could be a pro in some eyes)
2. Less chance of making it to the NCAA Tournament due to the higher level of play in the Big West (but BWC is a multi-bid league in Baseball unlike the WAC, where usually, only the tournament conference champs gets to go)

https://eedition.sacbee.com/popovers/dynamic_article_popover.aspx?artguid=b2e7aa97-9717-44f8-9d17-02735b8f1bcc

GreenArmySwarm said:
GreenArmySwarm said:

PROs:

CONs:

https://eedition.sacbee.com/popovers/dynamic_article_popover.aspx?artguid=b2e7aa97-9717-44f8-9d17-02735b8f1bcc

https://twitter.com/sacbee_joed/status/1528395622948057088?s=21&t=z8DHleS3h4_35aI28A9Dvg

I'm not so sure I like the Manure Pile/Cow Poly plan, Kadeezy. I think I'd rather talk the Sky into adding certain sports like baseball. I'd love to beat up the Griz in another sport....

Big West would be fantastic!

Or we could also get our foot in the door with the Mountain West. Boise State recently discontinued their program, so the Conference only has 7 baseball playing members. There will also be natural rivalries other CSU’s: Fresno State, San Jose State and San Diego State. We could be Nevada’s travel partner and there’s a natural regional rivalry there too. Travel would technically be less than the Big West with the baseball schedule. There’s 3 schools that would be within 2-3 hours from Sacramento compared two in the Big West (Davis and Cal Poly).

This could be a long term play with football in mind in case anything happens with the Big12 and Boise State/San Diego State.

Another Pro is that the Hornets program will immediately compete for the MWC championship where they’d be in the middle of the pack in the Big West.

Both options would be a huge upgrade over the now Texas/Utah centric WAC.

The WAC has served this program well. I'm not cheering for us to leave it, but we can't possibly pass up an invite to either the BW or MW if offered as it would be a huge boon to the prestige of this program.

The WAC will have some solid programs out west. Between us, GCU, and CBU, the western division of WAC baseball will be fun to watch. NMSU is typically a solid program, but they are leaving the WAC for CUSA. I don't see Seattle and UVU really getting good in baseball. They just aren't located in baseball hot beds like the other western WAC programs. Utah Tech looks like they will be respectable so I think they will hold their own. I have no idea on anything in the Texas division of the conference but those teams won't be seen until the WACT.

One of the advantages of the WAC divisions is it opens up the schedule so Christiansen can schedule more regional series. We had a pretty regional schedule this year, so if we were to gain entry into the BW, I wonder how scheduling would be impacted.

We'll see if this BW speculation goes anywhere.

Would much prefer to goto the MWC. These schools are committed to athletics and they are committed to football. Nevada, San Hoser, Fresneck all close by and good facilities/fan bases.
Big West is always a group that is looking for cheap alternatives to claim DI status and they are a group that sponsors mens tiddly winks and womens croquet teams, programs that are non-revenue generating, no fanbase and should be PE sports.
If the schools are using DI as a marketing arm, then MWC would be the path.

Once NMSU leaves the WAC, it will be a group of gypsies and I think the RPI will suffer greatly along with the small prestige it brings.

Green Cookie Monster said:
Would much prefer to goto the MWC. These schools are committed to athletics and they are committed to football. Nevada, San Hoser, Fresneck all close by and good facilities/fan bases.
Big West is always a group that is looking for cheap alternatives to claim DI status and they are a group that sponsors mens tiddly winks and womens croquet teams, programs that are non-revenue generating, no fanbase and should be PE sports.
If the schools are using DI as a marketing arm, then MWC would be the path.

Once NMSU leaves the WAC, it will be a group of gypsies and I think the RPI will suffer greatly along with the small prestige it brings.

Excellent point. I view the BW is a place for the hobo cheap state funded schools to park their D1 programs so they can invest as little as possible and still claim "we're D1". Look at Bako. They were making noise in the WAC and had an upward trajectory and building a name for themselves. Their baseball program contended for titles and their hoops program made the Dance. Then they get a BW invite and immediately cut 2 core BW sports they were sponsoring and are nothing but a wannabe claiming the "we're D1" talking point. Their baseball program barely cracks the 20 win mark and hoops is at best a 500 team.

My fear of a BW invite (be it for baseball or full sports) is that it would give our admin an out to cut costs and divest in our strong D1 athletic programs...because at that point you're just another hobo cheap state funded school competing with other hobo cheap state funded schools.

Regarding the baseball question. The WAC is poised to get 2 berths into Regionals this year. The BW has only gotten multiple bids to Regionals once in the last 4 years. The perception is that BW is a much stronger conference, but when you look into the numbers, the BW is nowhere near what it once was. I've long felt like the BW would be better for baseball, but when you look at what the WAC has been doing the last few years in comparison to what the BW has been doing, I think the WAC is a better home for many reasons. If I get around to it I'll post a breakdown as to why that is.

Latest posts

Back