• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Viking athletics as cool.

5thAvenueVik

There is no question that Portland State is a liberal arts and sciences (i.e. Liberal) university. Of all the other universities in America, PSU probably emulates Cal-Berkeley most (as does also the University of Oregon).
icon_rr.png
:joker:
icon_geek.png

Portland State students seek to be hip and have Portland State be perceived as a university of hipness. /users/31/07/37/smiles/595146.gif

To many in the current PSU student body, however, college sports somehow go against the grain of hipness. But how can this be true? For if it were, then athletic events at hip campuses like Cal-Berkeley (and, to similar extent, the University of Oregon) would be poorly attended the way they have traditionally been at PSU. /users/31/07/37/smiles/eusa_th2.gif

To me, a lot of the current PSU student body are very uncool---but they self-referently assume they are cool, and that alone makes them look both foolish and strongly unattractive. I, for one, do not want them to attend the games and bring their infectious uncoolness to the stadium. I say keep them the hell away. You cannot create a good product with the bad habits of misguided persons lingering.
icon_mad.gif

We cannot say the reason is the city and all the other attractions pulling and vying for the student body's attention. For if that were true, few, if any, would attend the Cal-Berkeley games. Instead, they attract some 64,000 to a game on average. /users/31/07/37/smiles/smily39.gif

The level of competition right now certainly has something to do with PSU athletics having been perceived as lacking hipness. Playing "big sky" teams is certainly not hip, not cool. Playing most of the WAC and MWC teams is also neither hip nor cool.
icon_rolleyes.gif

What, then, IS cool? JG and MD are cool. The Run-and-Shoot Offense is cool. Smashing the helmet off of an arrogant Montana player would be hella-cool. Absolutely dominating the "big sky" conference is nicely cool. Trashing Idaho, Utah State, New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech fits the same category. /users/31/07/37/smiles/595146.gif

Neither Fresno State nor Nevada is cool. Beating them is though. "Dust Bowl" teams tend to lack coolness.
icon_mad.gif

Hawaii is very cool; San Jose State and Boise State are pretty cool.
icon_cool.gif

Beating the bejeezus out of BYU would be way cool. Playing TCU (the Horned Frogs) would be cool. Wyoming is cool and so is San Diego State. Outgunning Air Force would be cool. Giving both Oregon and Oregon State a run for their money is very cool.
icon_lol.gif

A PSU Volleyball Match (here) with UC-Santa Barbara would be way cool. /users/31/07/37/smiles/595146.gif

Pepperdine has good stock of coolness capital being situated in Malibu. Portland Pilots currently lack coolness capital, however. They need to develop some too. /users/31/07/37/smiles/426567.gif

We can work to make the perception of PSU Viking athletics as cool and reflect this image back on to the university itself. Gawd, I hope we get a good successor to the Presidency after one Daniel Bernstine. He was my idea of a cool university president. Hard worker too.
icon_cool.gif

Latest posts

Back