• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Trouble at EWU

Alan1

Eastern Washington tries to address $5.8 million athletic department budget deficit: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/13/eastern-washington-tries-to-address-58-million-ath/#/0

Also, EWU's AD bailing out of the situation by heading to North Dakota.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/13/eastern-washingtons-bill-chaves-named-athletic-dir/

He is a New England native, but the timing sure seems fishy to me.

I’d found out about the Idaho AD comments and the Sac arena proposal at pretty much the same time. Starting to gauge other conference schools, that’s when I happened upon EWU discussions about their very limited endowment and apparent unwillingness (or is it inability) to make further money-making improvements to Roos Field (especially right after their NC) since the expansion 15 years ago.

So if there’s been malfeasance, that’s a lot bigger problem for EWU than it would at, say, Idaho or the Montanas.

I shudder to think what’s next if that deficit stems from normal operations.

bigskyconf said:
Alan said:
EWU is at a $5.8 million deficit. From 2013 to 2016 we I believe are at $4.04 million.

Sorry. I have to ask. Gotta link?

You bet: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
On the page that comes up PSU is number 176. Click on Portland State and the numbers for revenue appear. Click on "REVENUES" and you can toggle to expenditures.

Alan said:
bigskyconf said:
Alan said:
EWU is at a $5.8 million deficit. From 2013 to 2016 we I believe are at $4.04 million.

On the page that comes up PSU is number 176. Click on Portland State and the numbers for revenue appear. Click on "REVENUES" and you can toggle to expenditures.

So, your own assessment. I'm sorry. I don't know what your level of expertise is in these matters. :coffee:

I'm looking for a story from some "experts". If EWU losing 5.8 million is such a national story, us losing over 4 million would be just as big, especially locally where the Portland media enjoys putting us in a negative light.

I'll wait. :D

bigskyconf said:
Alan said:
bigskyconf said:
Alan said:

So, your own assessment. I'm sorry. I don't know what your level of expertise is in these matters. :coffee:

I'm looking for a story from some "experts". If EWU losing 5.8 million is such a national story, us losing over 4 million would be just as big, especially locally where the Portland media enjoys putting us in a negative light.

Uh, if during a 4 year period you have revenues of $53,679,864 and expenditures of $57,719,233 you operated at a deficit of $4,039,369 for that period. It really is that simple @bigskyconf. It is just elementary school addition and subtraction. The experts you are looking for are the ones who compiled the database from each school's reports to the NCAA. If you want I can email the link to the Oregonian, Tribune, and Vanguard and see if they want to look into it for you.

Alan said:
bigskyconf said:
Alan said:
bigskyconf said:
Alan said:

Uh, if during a 4 year period you have revenues of $53,679,864 and expenditures of $57,719,233 you operated at a deficit of $4,039,369 for that period. It really is that simple @bigskyconf. It is just elementary school addition and subtraction. The experts you are looking for are the ones who compiled the database from each school's reports to the NCAA. If you want I can email the link to the Oregonian, Tribune, and Vanguard and see if they want to look into it for you.

Just thinking that if a "cash-strapped" university such as PSU was operating with a $4 million dollar deficit, someone like Canzano would have a field day with it.

I work with statistics and I can manipulate them to prove almost anything you want to prove. Obviously some experts have looked into the EWU situation and it has been proven true. I'm not saying you're right or wrong. I just wonder in a market that we are in, where so many people want to run with any negative information about PSU athletics, why no one has figured this out. Its been two years. Surely someone had to look in to it.

Or maybe they have and realized, when all things are considered, there isn't that big a deficit (maybe turning a profit), therefore not much of a story (and not as big as the EWU situation). :?

What the experts will tell you is that no two schools account for much of anything the same way. If big wants to claim a win on that, though, I have to point at recent records and kind of mention that the truth is right in front of your face. EWU may have overspent, but it might have meant something... or it might have sought to burn brightly for a period of time and the candle is about out of wax. Will the school get bailed out to dream again?

PSU acts like it's had a deficit for decades.

PSU is fortunate to have gotten Viking Pavilion to within 2-3 months of completion... but what's the guarantee they'll fill those new seats? Will that help the school gain revenues to put itself in a position to no longer be a renter for virtually every sport not being played indoors?

Still, PSU might be in a better position in Oregon than Eastern is in Washington. With Nike/Oregon able to practically smother the state in attention-gathering (this year it's women's basketball, next year it'll be something else, in 3 years it'll be the World Track & Field Championships, and on, and on...) at least PSU is in Portland. To hear EWU alums describe their situation, there's no radar for them to get on with the state of Washington.

I guess I look at the EWU situation and it is pretty dire. They are losing home football games, people are leaving, administration jumping out of windows (well, maybe not yet), and garnering national attention as to how are they going to get out from this $5.8 million dollar deficit. Then I hear PSU has (or had) a $4 million dollar deficit which, if that is the case, I would think there would have been some talk about it, as the Portland sports honchos all seem to want to jump on anything negative about PSU athletics. But instead, I get, here's the numbers and go figure it out yourself (then come back and we will tell you where you are wrong).

Maybe it doesn't pertain to the Ducks, but if Oregon State had a $4 million dollar deficit in its athletic department, I'd think someone in this market would be asking questions. I doubt it would be swept under the rug.

bigskyconf said:
I guess I look at the EWU situation and it is pretty dire. They are losing home football games, people are leaving, administration jumping out of windows (well, maybe not yet), and garnering national attention as to how are they going to get out from this $5.8 million dollar deficit. Then I hear PSU has (or had) a $4 million dollar deficit which, if that is the case, I would think there would have been some talk about it, as the Portland sports honchos all seem to want to jump on anything negative about PSU athletics. But instead, I get, here's the numbers and go figure it out yourself (then come back and we will tell you where you are wrong).

Maybe it doesn't pertain to the Ducks, but if Oregon State had a $4 million dollar deficit in its athletic department, I'd think someone in this market would be asking questions. I doubt it would be swept under the rug.

Guess what! In May of 2015, Gina Mizell wrote in the Oregonian:
“Oregon State's athletic department saw a noticeable drop in total revenue and rise in total expenses in 2014, according to a national database released by USA Today on Tuesday. OSU's total revenue of $63,301,794….” Included in that total revenue figure is a $12,285,453 subsidy, or funds not generated by the department's athletic functions. When subtracting that number from the total revenue and comparing it to OSU's total expenses of $73,020,003 (an increase of more than $8.8 million compared to 2013), the athletic department really sustained a deficit of more than $22 million last year." http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2015/05/oregon_state_beavers_athletic_1.html

Alan said:
bigskyconf said:

Guess what! In May of 2015, Gina Mizell wrote in the Oregonian:
“Oregon State's athletic department saw a noticeable drop in total revenue and rise in total expenses in 2014, according to a national database released by USA Today on Tuesday. OSU's total revenue of $63,301,794….” Included in that total revenue figure is a $12,285,453 subsidy, or funds not generated by the department's athletic functions. When subtracting that number from the total revenue and comparing it to OSU's total expenses of $73,020,003 (an increase of more than $8.8 million compared to 2013), the athletic department really sustained a deficit of more than $22 million last year." http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2015/05/oregon_state_beavers_athletic_1.html

:D

Maybe that's why. In Portland, it isn't newsworthy until the deficit is $20 million. In Spokane it is newsworthy at $5 million. I guess that means in, say, Bozeman, it is newsworthy at 50 cents. :lol:

Latest posts

Back