• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Soccer in Moscow

soccerfanatic

The worst part about making predictions is having to go back and eat your words. Not only did ISU go 0-2 over two games, I got absolutely nothing right in my predictions. Yes, BSU was tough as predicted, but we lost, not won, that game. I figured that our talent would overshadow BSU. I figured the easy win of our veterans over BSU veterans in the spring, plus the spectacular talent of our freshman meant a win in Moscow and reclaiming the Governor's Cup. Boy, was I wrong! Not only did BSU win, they outplayed ISU most of the game. BSU worked as a team, ISU did not.

I am at a complete loss to explain the Idaho 2-0 loss. Idaho is a fairly weak team. There is no reason to lose that game. Not only that, this is the first ISU loss by more than one goal in nearly two years. The only other two goal loss against a Coach Gibson team was a 3-1 loss to a #11 ranked Utah team in September, 2006. Sure we had some bad breaks, but this result is terrible. The team is now 2-3 and headed toward a tough weekend in Utah.

I wish I could point out whatever problem the team is suffering from, but my Monday morning quarterbacking skills are no match for the coaching staff, and from the news quotes, they sound like they are at a loss to offer any explanation. Here are a couple of observations anyway. This team is not shooting. We had a dismal year offensively last year, only averaging about 1.45 goals per game, and it took about 15 shots per game to reach that average. In 2006, the team averaged 1.65 goals per game, and was taking about 12 shots per game to reach that level. Over the last four games, we have averaged only 0.75 goals per game, and have only taken an average of about 6 shots per game.

The other observation is from watching the games. It appears to me that the team is clumping up around the ball and not spreading the field. I think at times there are three to four players so close together that they could almost shake hands, while the other teams have players wide on the wings. I watch a defender or midfielder expertly lay the ball down the sideline, but no one is there to take advantage of the pass. I am sure Coach Gibson is teaching her players to play their positions and that much of this is due to freshman enthusiasm and lack of experience, but after two or three passes, the players are running out of options and we lose the ball before a shot can be taken. It is also perhaps partly due to the coach encouraging more aggressive play and the players misinterpreting that to mean that each of them is to move toward the ball. More aggressive play can mean making an intelligent run to the outside or the open field to prepare for a pass. My hope is that as the players continue the work together and gain experience, that the players will settle into the Coach's game plan and we will see an huge turnaround before we reach conference play.

I guess after this weekend, I have lost what little credibility I may have had in forecasting games... but I still believe in the talent of this team and coaching staff. I no longer think we will see a quick turnaround and instant positive results in the form of final scores, but I do still believe that this team can get into form to win the Big Sky regular season and tournament. It will also really help to get Maren Eves and Jana Boehler back on the field. We have four more weeks of preseason play to see if this team can gel together. Let's hope they catch the vision.

I think aggressive play can also mean matching the other team's aggression. Boise was out for blood I heard. 4 yellow cards and 13 fouls=we're pissed that you routed us last year, so we're taking revenge.

I don't know my soccer tactics very well (if at all), so...I base it all off of what I see or what I can ascertain from news reports and posts.

I am in no position to tell Coach Gibson how to run the team. But I WILL continue to encourage the team to play hard, play physical and take absolutely NO $hit from ANY team.

I'd love to go down to Provo this Thursday...anybody interested in taking a warrior with them? ;)

Sounds like we will finish the season in the position as voted by the coaches and media. That would not be good for Gibson's stock.

According to the latest soccer release on "Big Sky" - ISU has no concerns for not being the aggressor!
69 fouls 13.80 avg/game

I bet most of those fouls are ticky-tack fouls. I'm talking aggressive, in your face, loud and proud, I'm-not-taking-any-sh^t-from-you kinda deal.

Latest posts

Back