• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

New Oregon University

5thAvenueVik

This is perhaps the best name to which both OHSU and PSU can submit in a merger: New Oregon University. You combine two universities and you get a new university, a hybrid. /users/31/07/37/smiles/833266.gif

Both must drop their original names.
icon_eek.gif

A medical and science college is not a full complement university and any name with just Portland in it---rather than Oregon---makes it sound like a regional state university even though it is not limited to just the Portland metro region. /users/31/07/37/smiles/eusa_th2.gif

Compared to Oregon and Oregon State, Portland State is the new university as it was created after WWII. OHSU was newly created after it split-off from the University of Oregon. We couldn't just have "Oregon University" (it would be too confusing)---the way there is the University of Washington (Seattle) and Washington University (St. Louis)---in the same state.
icon_wink.gif

I also like the name of the New Oregon Vikings. Makes us sound like we're on the leading edge and vanguard of the state. /users/31/07/37/smiles/595146.gif

I'm a big proponent of combining PSU and OHSU, but the name issue is perplexing. Hopefully this happens someday, and we'll all get to vote on a new name.

SciFi said:
Oregon Health Sciences University

-SciFi

There's a seperate university for that?!!!! /users/31/07/37/smiles/645213.gif

Here in LaLaLand, there is the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center that is a part of the main OU campus eventhough the OUHSC is just south of the state capitol a few blocks.

You're right. It doesn't make sense for OHSU to stand alone. It needs to be part of a full complement university, a place that needs a medical college and upgraded science ... a place like its complementary next-door neighbor, PSU.
icon_cool.gif

These are two halves of a whole. Put them together and you've got one helluva university attracting tremendous support. Separated, they lack the synergy they could have together.

To anyone outside Oregon the fact that OHSU and PSU aren't combined would seem crazy. They are practically next door to each other - a 2 minute bus ride or a 5 minute streetcar ride is all that separates the two schools.

As a person who was an Oregon transplant, PSU alum and later to move to greener (metaphoricly of course and not actually) pastures here in Texas, I think PSU, OHSU and OIT (Oregon Institute of Technology) should all combine and a name like OREGON POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY (ORE-POLY) would be perfect.

It would give Oregon the premier institution for education for ALL aspects of science, technology and culture for the 21st century and beyond. With the potential pool of athletes from all three institutions (yes even a jock can be a computer nerd or a perspective doctor/research scientist) could very well elevate the school to a national power and contender.

JMHO for what its worth and as a subject to foster debate.....

CaseyOrourke said:
As a person who was an Oregon transplant, PSU alum and later to move to greener (metaphoricly of course and not actually) pastures here in Texas, I think PSU, OHSU and OIT (Oregon Institute of Technology) should all combine and a name like OREGON POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY (ORE-POLY) would be perfect.

It would give Oregon the premier institution for education for ALL aspects of science, technology and culture for the 21st century and beyond. With the potential pool of athletes from all three institutions (yes even a jock can be a computer nerd or a perspective doctor/research scientist) could very well elevate the school to a national power and contender.

I am shocked!!!!!! I thought this post would at least have me bombarded with all sorts of comments that I'm either a genius or a blithering idiot
icon_geek.png
for even suggesting it.

Maybe I am onto something here?

CaseyOrourke said:
CaseyOrourke said:

I am shocked!!!!!! I thought this post would at least have me bombarded with all sorts of comments that I'm either a genius or a blithering idiot
icon_geek.png
for even suggesting it.

Maybe I am onto something here?

I think it is a much better idea than most I've heard.

It's really one of those "it makes too much sense" issues.

Rural Oregon kind of unites when Portland wants to "upset the balance of things." Oregon Tech is in Klamath Falls, and that is to be protected by the elected folk. Sad but true.

Latest posts

Back