• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Jenkins' On-Court Demeanor

superhornet

I heard from the PSU board that Jenkins has essentially lost control of both the team and HIMSELF.

Apparently, he started the game evoking images of Abatemarco. However, at some point after it became obvious that PSU was going to win the game, Jenkins appeared to essentially QUIT. He just sat like a bump on a log and didn't do a stinking thing.

Is this par for the course this year? While I don't normally advocate mid-season firings, particularly in a season as short as college hoops, if he's going to be schizo like this, he shouldn't be around. We don't need another Knight-type, and we need a quitter even less.

I wouldn't mind a Knight type if it meant 3 national championships and all his players graduating.

SH, I hate to tell you this, but the football season is much shorter than basketball is (3 months for fb, 5 for hoops).

I think we'll learn a lot about Jenkins' demeanor this week. I have noticed that recently he's been berating the players (more than usual) on the bench during the away games. You can clearly hear most of the things he says over Steve's headset. Many of the things I've heard him say over the radio would probably get me banned from this message board.

The bottom line is, he has lost this team, he really has. He lost last year's team too. We've seen a steady decline over the past few years. The peak was the Pugh, Harris, Freeman, Bausley year... And it has gotten worse ever since. You lose Pugh one year, then you lose Harris and Freeman the next, and this year they lost their most effective leader, Alex Bausley. This year's team has no direction.

I heard from a reliable source within the athletic department that Jenkins almost lost his job over the summer. Much of the team went to Dr. Wanless and asked him to fire Jenkins.

I can guarentee you all that Jenkins will NOT be fired mid-season. It might be a different story if there was a suitable assistant waiting in the wings, but all the assistant coaches jumped ship during the last offseason (as well they should have). They're not going to hand the program off to someone who's been on campus for 4-5 months...

Long story short, there is a DEEP rift between Jenkins and the players.

Well he definitely overscheduled for the type of team he has...and I do know that the players are very frustrated that they have not been able to compete in games this year...save for the SUU and SCU games. How bad is that loss to USF now and they are horrible as well.

I thought before the season that this team would be lucky to win 8 games. They'll be lucky to win 6! They're 0-11 against D-I teams. Their only two wins came against crappy (even by NAIA standards) teams...

On court demeanor????

head_up_your_ass.jpg

SactoHornetAlum said:
Well he definitely overscheduled for the type of team he has...and I do know that the players are very frustrated that they have not been able to compete in games this year...save for the SUU and SCU games. How bad is that loss to USF now and they are horrible as well.

Part of that stems from a Fullerton edict to schedule up. The problem is that it seems that Jenkins (or perhaps Wanless) took Fullerton a little to much at his word. There's a difference between stepping up the schedule and committing suicide, IMO.

No that's not it. I think coach really thought this team could contend...which obviously it couldn't. This has nothing to do with Fullerton's RPI thing. Look Weber scheduled and LOST to Cal State San Bern...a D2 school!

I said earlier that he should have schedule more Big West teams, lower WCC teams, maybe some more Summitt League (formerly Mid-Con)...not Oregon, K-State, Marquette, etc.

I think Jenkins missed out on a couple recruits and Tristan Wilson never made grades. Also, he was expecting to have Kris Gross (academically ineligible) and Angel Alamo (lovely story) back in the fold. I think having those three would put this team close to a 6-7 type record...

Also, Weber didn't schedule CSUSB. San Bernadino was a last minute filler school in the tournament they played in because one of the DI teams dropped out at the last minute. Interesting note, former Hornet Jason Gilzene is on that San Bernadino team and I believe they won the National Title last year for their division. Their arena is nicer than almost every BSC facility too.

That's right Kadeezy about Wilson, Groce and Alamo. I wasn't really sold on Alamo last year, often because he would get into foul trouble early and then got real conservative around the boards on both sides of the ball. Groce has good skills, but a bad persona and of course work ethic (gee why didn't anyone see that happen when he sat out last fall).Im glad he is not back.

Didn't know the story about CSUSB. I knew Gilzene went down there but have not really tracked what he has done since there. Good for him. Yeah they have a nice arena, though I think its in the mold of a Reese Court as far as ambiance (fair, but not great). Of course its still better than what we have.

First of all, this is my first blog on here. So bare with me! Last Saturday, I went to the Sac State vs. EWU game. It was terrible! Sac lead for a couple of minutes, then EWU had their way with them. Luckily, I got to sit in the bleachers right behing the bench.

I also got to hear every word that came out of Coach Jenkins mouth and the players. Proud to say, that me and my girlfriend were the only Sac State fans there at Reese Court. But overall, I was happy to be there. I'm proud to say that I'm a Sac State fan. Unfortunately I got stationed (USAF) in Spokane, Wa.. The good thing is EWU is in the same conference as Sac State, so I will try to see any Football or Basketball games that get played up here.

As for Coach Jenkins, he swore so much at the referees and the players. I was surprised. He did look at me and my girlfriend, and toned his voice a litle bit. But I think its time for him to go! Thanks....Joe

Joe, first, welcome to the board. Second, thank you for service to our country. Third, always show up for our games at Reese or Woodward...especially volleyball (we have a great rivalry with them there).

SactoHornetAlum said:
Joe, first, welcome to the board. Second, thank you for service to our country. Third, always show up for our games at Reese or Woodward...especially volleyball (we have a great rivalry with them there).

ditto, welcome!

Latest posts

Back